The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   'Star Trek: The Experience's' Last Days (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=64346)

TrekToday August 24 2008 02:28 AM

'Star Trek: The Experience's' Last Days

<i>Star Trek: The Experience</i> celebrated its tenth anniversary this year but will close on September 1st, to the dismay of <i>Star Trek</i> fans.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.inbusinesslasvegas.com">In Business Las Vegas</A>, even though the attraction is closing soon, business is still brisk. ""I went out the other day, and the lines extended back into the corridor," said <font color=yellow>Chad Boutte</font>, operations manager and marketing director for The Experience. <p>There was a time when such long lines caused problems for the Hilton. Gaming regulators were not happy with the children waiting in line to get into the attraction, because they were standing next to slot machines which were located near the entrance to The Experience. The Hilton was obliged to pay a fine as a result.<p>Fans are unhappy with the pending closure. Boutte reports that he has received over five thousand emails and a stack of petitions nearly six-feet high from fans hoping to stop the closure. Many fans are blaming the Hilton for the loss of The Experience. "Some of them are saying they are so upset that they'll never stay at a Hilton again, and some of them say they'll never come back to Las Vegas again," said Boutte.<p>It is not yet known what will take the place of The Experience. "There's no timetable, no rush to make a decision," said Las Vegas Hilton spokesman <font color=yellow>Ira David Sternberg</font>. "I think all options are on the table. It's an interesting venue." Options for the space include another themed experience, more gaming, or a theater show.<p>The Experience's last public show will occur around 8:30 P.M. and then the attraction will be open for a VIP event to be attended by fans chosen by the attraction's management as well as celebrities. Boutte is considering auctioning five tickets for the "final mission" on eBay because of the high interest. <p>Following the party, at 10 P.M., at the entrance to The Experience, there will be a "decommissioning ceremony" which will be open to the public. <p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.inbusinesslasvegas.com/2008/08/22/tourgame.html">here</A>.<center></center>

MattJC August 24 2008 03:18 AM

Re: 'Star Trek: The Experience's' Last Days

Just a little over a week left. :(
It was fun.
However, I have gotten annoyed how groups of people got their table first, when I was in the front of the line.
Still, I'll miss the place.

T J August 24 2008 03:55 AM

A very sad time indeed. I'm glad I got to see it a few times and once with the wife before they pulled the plug.

Turbo August 24 2008 05:19 AM

:(

I'm very glad I was able to make it to The Experience this summer. There will never be another attraction like it. I'm quite sad to see it go.

number6 August 24 2008 05:34 AM

Quote:

MattJC wrote: (Post 1982064)
Just a little over a week left. :(
It was fun.
However, I have gotten annoyed how groups of people got their table first, when I was in the front of the line.
Still, I'll miss the place.

It's because they are JJ Abrams fans and you know it.:lol:

Pioneer August 24 2008 03:13 PM

All those e-mails and letters don't seem to have had much of an effect on the closing. They're going to close it anyway and have no idea what and how they're going to replace it.

On a similar note, the SciFi Channel just canceled Stargate: Atlantis which I'm sure many here watch. It will be replaced by a new show called Stargate: Universe supposedly targeted to a "younger" audience. Who asked for this? Science Fiction fans are definitely the red-headed step-children of the entertainment industry.

Biggshow August 25 2008 09:45 AM

I was just thinking that it was a friend of mine that I met while working at The Experience that introduced me to this board.

At any rate, I'll be there on the last day to drink them dry and leave my baseball.

ELURIA August 25 2008 11:16 AM

Star Trek is over :(

T'Cal August 25 2008 07:48 PM

I have visited there at least ten times, the last this past June with my family when my wife and I renewed our vows on the Bridge. I will truly miss ST:TE. If you've never gone, you don't belong on this site!!! You failed to support the last physical manefestation of our beloved Trek. A pox on you all!!!

rayjay August 25 2008 09:47 PM

I was in Vegas for the convention earlier this month. I heard (a rumor?) from two individuals at a local watering hole that the Hilton already has a plan in place on what's replacing the Experience.

According to them, it's going to be a performance space and themed Experience featuring the career of a high profile Entertainer. Said Entertainer has been signed to a contract to do shows for the next three years in the new space.

The person in question...?

Michael Jackson

Supposedly one of the owners/investors in the Hilton bailed him out when he had mortgage troubles with his Neverland Ranch. This is the payment in return for that help.

Take it FWIW.

Dale August 25 2008 11:21 PM

Michael Jackson: The Experience

Following a sidewalk that lights up square by square, along with everything you touch, you enter a world where everyone has rythym and crazy dance skills. Pursued through this space by very hip zombies and gang members who resolve their differences through interpretive "dance violence," you find your self in a "personal amusement park," but scaled up to make you feel the size of a child. You are lured by a charming little chimpanzee in people clothes into a regal bedroom where the walls are adorned by wood carvings depicting scenes from "Peter Pan." You climb atop a giant round bed with red velvet sheets and just as you are starting to doze off, a pixie-like man of uncertain ethnic extraction - in an enourmous fat suit - comes in and molests you, dangles you off the room's balcony, and finally sticks you in a hyperbaric chamber for storage until he wishes to use you again.

You are utterly horrified, but the bass line is hypnotic and irresistable.

Saul August 26 2008 12:48 AM

Shame to see it go but good memories are kept.

T'Bonz August 26 2008 01:27 AM

Quote:

rayjay wrote: (Post 1988337)
I was in Vegas for the convention earlier this month. I heard (a rumor?) from two individuals at a local watering hole that the Hilton already has a plan in place on what's replacing the Experience.

According to them, it's going to be a performance space and themed Experience featuring the career of a high profile Entertainer. Said Entertainer has been signed to a contract to do shows for the next three years in the new space.

The person in question...?

Michael Jackson

Supposedly one of the owners/investors in the Hilton bailed him out when he had mortgage troubles with his Neverland Ranch. This is the payment in return for that help.

Take it FWIW.

Yeah, I read that the Jackson thing was a possibility.

Great....from warp drive to a pervert. Good move, Hilton.

Biggshow August 26 2008 04:55 AM

Quote:

Dale Hoppert wrote: (Post 1988748)
Michael Jackson: The Experience

Following a sidewalk that lights up square by square, along with everything you touch, you enter a world where everyone has rythym and crazy dance skills. Pursued through this space by very hip zombies and gang members who resolve their differences through interpretive "dance violence," you find your self in a "personal amusement park," but scaled up to make you feel the size of a child. You are lured by a charming little chimpanzee in people clothes into a regal bedroom where the walls are adorned by wood carvings depicting scenes from "Peter Pan." You climb atop a giant round bed with red velvet sheets and just as you are starting to doze off, a pixie-like man of uncertain ethnic extraction - in an enourmous fat suit - comes in and molests you, dangles you off the room's balcony, and finally sticks you in a hyperbaric chamber for storage until he wishes to use you again.

You are utterly horrified, but the bass line is hypnotic and irresistable.

Woof! I'm there. Screw you, Star Trek.

Hoser August 26 2008 05:16 AM

Quote:

T'Cal wrote: (Post 1987814)
If you've never gone, you don't belong on this site!!!

I wanted to go before it closed, but some things happened and I was unable.

Hoser, scratching pox.