The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Abrams Says 'Star Trek' Worth The Wait (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=64265)

TrekToday August 23 2008 06:46 AM

Abrams Says 'Star Trek' Worth The Wait

The visual effects of <i>Star Trek XI</i> will be "unbelievable", claimed <font color=yellow>J.J. Abrams</font> while being interviewed for his new sci-fi series <i>Fringe</i>. <p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.fringetelevision.com">Fringe Television</A> from an article in <A class="link" HREF="http://www.tvguide.com/">TV Guide</A>, working with <font color=yellow>Leonard Nimoy</font> was a thrill for Abrams. "...It wasn't until very recently that it really hit me how cool that was [working with Nimoy.] There was so much work to do during the shoot and there were so many fires that needed putting out that there wasn't much time to sit and acknowledge the reality of working with him. Then the other day I was watching the movie, and there he was. There was Spock! And it hit me like, 'Holy s--t-!' It was kind of like a huge delay."<p>Abrams was equally enthusiastic about <i>Star Trek XI</i> in general, from the actors to the visual effects. "...I think this movie is going to be worth the wait. It's blessed with a wonderful optimism and an incredibly alive and invested cast. While the visual effects are gonna be unbelievable, the movie is working right now with only fifty of our thousand-plus visual effects finished. It's funny, it's scary, it's dramatic, emotional and entertaining, all without having the stuff you'd think a movie called 'Star Trek' would require. That to me is exciting."<p><i>Fringe</i> is Abram's newest project, due to debut in the fall. The show features a female FBI agent who investigates strange cases with the help of two intelligent men; a scientist and his estranged son. According to Abrams, <i>Fringe</i> will be a show that "you'll be able to tune in whenever you want and get it. You'll have a beginning, middle and an end. But if you want to track the big bad guy and the big overarching story, you can do that, too."<p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.fringetelevision.com/2008/08/tv-guide-interview-jj-abrams-on-fringe.html">here</A>. Thanks to <A class="link" HREF="http://www.trekweb.com">Trekweb</A> for the tip.<center></center>

Pioneer August 23 2008 10:34 AM

Re: Abrams Says 'Star Trek' Worth The Wait

Quote:

And it hit me like, 'Holy s--t-!' It was kind of like a huge delay.
This phenomenon is called a "reality grenade".

Procutus August 23 2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Pioneer wrote: (Post 1979393)
Quote:

Happens to me a lot, lately.

:lol:

Seriously, I know that J.J. has to talk up his own project, but I just hope that he's not talking out his ass here about how great this is going to be. And I'm not being sarcastic here, I want this movie to be fantastic, I want to enjoy it so much that the DVD will get watched once a month once I own it.

:techman:

Augustus August 23 2008 04:01 PM

Now I like reading a lot of stuff about movies. For the past three years, I read everything about all the big movies like Dark Knight, Spiderman 3, Pirates....all those kind of movies and never have I seen such unanimous excitement by EVERYONE involved saying it was amazing, wonderful, awesome, incredible...

So I really don't know what to expect... I just hope they are all right...

Temis the Vorta August 23 2008 09:06 PM

Trek XI still sounds good. Fringe still sounds...very jury-outish. :wtf:

Jack Bauer August 23 2008 09:50 PM

If only we didn't have to wait an extra five months for it.

number6 August 24 2008 06:04 AM

Quote:

Jack Bauer wrote: (Post 1981318)

Awww.. Just go ahead and eat that bucket of popcorn!! You can always get more.

TJinPgh August 24 2008 06:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yup.

Of course, it should probably have occured to him that he's going to kill off that phenomenon the second old Spock bites the bullet.

Nimoy = Spock

Shatner = Kirk

Pine and Quinto... well... don't.

number6 August 24 2008 06:45 AM

Quote:

TJinPgh wrote: (Post 1982441)
Quote:

Quote:

Yup.

Of course, it should probably have occured to him that he's going to kill off that phenomenon the second old Spock bites the bullet.

Nimoy = Spock

Shatner = Kirk

I'd rather wait and see the film first.

Jack Bauer August 24 2008 08:19 AM

Some Trekkie you are, bub! You want to actually see it first? Turn in your membership card!

number6 August 24 2008 08:30 AM

Quote:

Jack Bauer wrote: (Post 1982651)
Some Trekkie you are, bub! You want to actually see it first? Turn in your membership card!

I'm not a Trekkie. I'm a Trekkist. We don't have a membership card. We don't even give away free toasters. It's kinda lame, but the parties are waaaaayyy better.

Jack Bauer August 24 2008 08:54 AM

Hotter chicks too? ^^^

number6 August 24 2008 09:02 AM

Quote:

Jack Bauer wrote: (Post 1982686)
Hotter chicks too? ^^^

We actually have girls.. Some of them don't even have facial hair.

Procutus August 24 2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Jack Bauer wrote: (Post 1981318)

That's been my major beef too ever since they decided on 5/9/09, but as I've said in multiple posts around here, don't rush the visuals if you have the extra time. Do it right. Make them jaw-dropping and truly spectacular.

TJinPgh August 24 2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

number6 wrote: (Post 1982486)
Quote:

TJinPgh wrote: (Post 1982441)
Nimoy = Spock

Shatner = Kirk

I'd rather wait and see the film first.

:::shrug:::

Your choice.

As I've said before. I grew tired of the whole "this recast will be different" spiel a long time ago.