The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Kevin Smith on 'Star Trek XI' (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=64260)

TrekToday August 23 2008 06:18 AM

Kevin Smith on 'Star Trek XI'

Fans have nothing to worry about as far as <i>Star Trek XI</i> goes, says <font color=yellow>Kevin Smith</font>, as heard on KROQ's <i>Kevin and Bean</i> show this morning.<p>As heard at <A class="link" HREF="http://www.kevinandbeanarchive.com/">The Kevin and Bean Show</A>, "The stars absolutely trek in this film," said Smith, answering when asked "Do they 'trek?' Do the stars 'trek?'" by the radio host.<p>"It's fantastic, added Smith. "Anybody who was worried doesn't need to be worried about this film. I can't talk about...It was in very capable hands. The director did a phenomenal job, the director and his crew." <p>Smith went on to seemingly single out <font color=yellow>Chris Pine</font>, who is playing James T. Kirk. "...The guy who plays the lead is an instant star. That dude is going to be so famous. He is so wonderful. He picked up a role that I would say is pretty challenging for somebody to step into the shoes of, because it is a role that has been played before many times by the same guy."<p>When asked if he could direct a movie like <i>Star Trek XI</i>, Smith said, "I would not like to be the guy. In the case of something like Star Trek, it would take a really insanely talented filmmaker-like storyteller. Like in the case of Star Trek, J.J. Abrams. So leave it to the people who are best equipped for it. I am just the guy who should be watching those movies.<p>To download and hear the interview, head to the link located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.kevinandbeanarchive.com/">here</A>. Click on the "August 22" link. The applicable portion begins at 1:38:16 and concludes at 1:41:20. Thanks to <A class="link" HREF="http://trekmovie.com">TrekMovie.com</A> for the tip.<center></center>

Pioneer August 23 2008 10:30 AM

Re: Kevin Smith on 'Star Trek XI'

I know Kevin Smith knows his Trek so this is most likely good news.

Procutus August 23 2008 01:44 PM

Help me out here Pioneer, who is Kevin Smith?

:confused:

T'Cal August 23 2008 03:47 PM

I am unfamiliar with Kevin Smith. Is he the Kevin in the Kevin and Bean Show or a guest? "Kevin and Bean"??? Sounds like a pair of wacky, irreverent, zany kooks who bring you merriment on their morning zoo program every weekday on K-Rock!! I'll bet they push the envelope constantly with their over the top antics and get warned by the oppressive FCC all the time!!! They're nuts!!!

When will that format go away?

Seriously, though, this is good news. If this opens up the audience to a broader group, hey, I'm all for it.

Timelord Victorious August 23 2008 04:09 PM

Kevin Smith is the guy who brought us the Greatness of Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and others

Starbreaker August 23 2008 05:20 PM

I would have never guessed Kevin Smith had inside info to Star Trek. :lol:

Data Holmes August 23 2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Starbreaker wrote: (Post 1980223)

Kevin is a big Heroes fan, and was set to direct the spinoff pilot untill that show got shelved by the writers strike. Quinto is on Heroes. The connection is there for him to have an iggie into what's been going on.

anti-matter August 23 2008 05:42 PM

I'm a big fan of Kevin's, the Dude know what he knows...and knows what he doesn't know.

Aragorn August 23 2008 06:00 PM

[fanboy]This just proves how bad this movie is going to be. I used to like Kevin Smith until he stopped thinking and acting the exact same way I do.[/fanboy]

Harvey August 23 2008 07:27 PM

I've mostly enjoyed Smith's films (Jersey Girl, Dogma, and Mallrats aside). And he usually has good taste, but he also liked Star Wars -- Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. So while this is a good indicator, I'm not sold yet.

Temis the Vorta August 23 2008 09:07 PM

ROTS wasn't bad in comparison with the other two PT flicks. The guy's taste isn't too terribly bad.

Broccoli August 23 2008 11:14 PM

[fanboy]ZOMG! This is terrible news because Kevin Smith is a Star Wars fan!!!11!!! And JJ is also a Star Wars fan. Of course Smith will like it because it's really just Star Wars, only called Star Trek!!!! Burn their houses down!!!!!111!!!one!!![/fanboy]

Cmndr J Crichton August 25 2008 04:30 PM

Kevin Smith's films:

Clerks (1994)
Mallrats (1995)
Chasing Amy (1997)
Dogma (1999)
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001)
Jersey Girl (2003)
Clerks II (2006)

He's also written for numerous comics including Green Arrow, and Daredevil.

Technobuilder August 28 2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

hutt359 wrote: (Post 1980271)
Quote:

Starbreaker wrote: (Post 1980223)

Kevin is a big Heroes fan, and was set to direct the spinoff pilot untill that show got shelved by the writers strike. Quinto is on Heroes. The connection is there for him to have an iggie into what's been going on.

Um, there's also the fact that...

He's close friends with Ben Affleck, who's now married to Jennifer Gardner (who he also did the movie Catch & Release in 2006 with) who is friends with J.J. and they hang in the same circles. He did also did a Dinner for Five with J.J. when Smith guest hosted and they seemed to of known each other already.

ElimParra August 28 2008 01:59 PM

He also got to review The Dark Knight before it was released and said that it was awesome.