The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Enterprise (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Instead of being cancelled why wasn't ENT moved to SciFi? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=64233)

Sheridan August 23 2008 01:29 AM

Instead of being cancelled why wasn't ENT moved to SciFi?

Hey, I just watched all four seasons of Enterprise last year for the first time and I have to say I loved Enterprise. In my opinion I would put it at 2nd place with TOS being 1st out of all the Trek series and I thought it was a shame it was cancelled. I was wondering if they considered or tried moving Enterprise to the SciFi channel to continue its 5th, 6th, and 7th seasons instead of canceling it? Isn't that what they did with Stargate SG-1? In it's 5th season it was moved to the SciFi channel instead of being cancelled(I assume that's why it was moved) so I'm wondering if they tried doing that with ENT but failed?

JiNX-01 August 23 2008 01:36 AM

Re: Instead of being cancelled why wasn't ENT moved to SciFi?

It was cancelled because it was expensive to make and Paramount's suits in the big offices didn't care about Trek anymore.

Leonard Nimoy even talked about that at Vegas a couple of weeks ago. He said Paramount thought they were done with Star Trek. That's why they sold off all that stuff from the shows at Christies.
Then they approached JJ Abrams for a 3-movie deal and he said, OK, but I want the first one I make to be Star Trek. :bolian:

MattJC August 23 2008 01:38 AM

You mean his perverted interpretation of Star Trek.

M August 23 2008 01:41 AM

Quote:

MattJC wrote: (Post 1977907)

:rolleyes:

How was Pine as Kirk?

zenophite August 23 2008 01:41 AM

Scifi couldn't afford it.

MattJC August 23 2008 01:42 AM

Quote:

NCC-1701 wrote: (Post 1977923)
Quote:

How was Pine as Kirk?

Crap.

M August 23 2008 01:43 AM

Quote:

MattJC wrote: (Post 1977928)
Quote:

NCC-1701 wrote: (Post 1977923)
Quote:

How was Pine as Kirk?

Crap.

So how's the year 2009?

MattJC August 23 2008 01:57 AM

Seriously, I've heard enough about this piece of shit to know I won't be happy with it.
These idiots should have picked one or the other: a straight prequel or a straight reboot.
Whatever they decided to do, they shouldn't have done this: http://screenrant.com/images/enterprise-first-thumb.jpg
and try to imply to hardcore fans that this is supposed to be the same ship we saw in the original series.
Just pick a prequel or a reboot and stick with it.
As for Nimoy being involved and the storyline involving an "alternate timeline via time travel", that's just an attempt by TIIC to try to placate and blow off the longtime fans at the same time.

Locutus August 23 2008 03:53 AM

All I know is that if Enterprise had jumped over to Sci Fi, it would have been cancelled inexplicably just as its ratings were improving. About the only series they have that they HAVEN'T done that to is ECW Wrestling.

SFRabid August 23 2008 04:11 AM

Quote:

MattJC wrote: (Post 1977985)
Seriously, I've heard enough about this piece of shit to know I won't be happy with it.
These idiots should have picked one or the other: a straight prequel or a straight reboot.
Whatever they decided to do, they shouldn't have done this: http://screenrant.com/images/enterprise-first-thumb.jpg
and try to imply to hardcore fans that this is supposed to be the same ship we saw in the original series.

I don't think they care about hardcore fans. I know that if I was spending that much on a movie I would not worry about the few hardcore Star Trek fans that are left. Especially with their constant screaming about everything canon. If the movie is a success there will be a new generation of Star Trek fans and that is good for all of Star Trek. As a moderate Star Trek fan I can say without hesitation that I have no desire to see the same old outdated designed of the ship from TOS. Forget what was done in the 60's and give me a ship that looks like it may actually be designed in the future.

MattJC August 23 2008 04:17 AM

Quote:

SFRabid wrote: (Post 1978489)
Quote:

I don't think they care about hardcore fans. I know that if I was spending that much on a movie I would not worry about the few hardcore Star Trek fans that are left. Especially with their constant screaming about everything canon. If the movie is a success there will be a new generation of Star Trek fans and that is good for all of Star Trek. As a moderate Star Trek fan I can say without hesitation that I have no desire to see the same old outdated designed of the ship from TOS. Forget what was done in the 60's and give me a ship that looks like it may actually be designed in the future.

Then they should have done a full reboot, and not throw out a bullshit line about this movie being a prequel to TOS.

Augustus August 23 2008 05:04 AM

Quote:

Just pick a prequel or a reboot and stick with it.
As for Nimoy being involved and the storyline involving an "alternate timeline via time travel", that's just an attempt by TIIC to try to placate and blow off the longtime fans at the same time.

Oh man, just calm down and let's see the movie first...

MattJC August 23 2008 05:16 AM

I just want Abrams and co. to be honest and admit it's a semi-reboot via time travel/alternate timeline. I want them to stop jerking fans around with promises they had no intention of keeping.

Jack Bauer August 23 2008 05:37 AM

What does the movie have to do with why ENT didn''t go to Sci-Fi? I don't come here to debate the merits of the new film. I'm here to discuss ENT.

Augustus August 23 2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Jack Bauer wrote: (Post 1978883)
What does the movie have to do with why ENT didn''t go to Sci-Fi? I don't come here to debate the merits of the new film. I'm here to discuss ENT.

Touche

I think ENT was too good of a show to be broadcast with new episodes on SCi-FI channel

No offense to anyone here who likes the programs Sci-Fi produces, but I am not a fan at all.