The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Why No 1960s Batman TV Series on VHS, DVD, etc.? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=63937)

FalTorPan August 20 2008 06:47 PM

Why No 1960s Batman TV Series on VHS, DVD, etc.?

So Fox owns the rights to the 1960s Batman TV series, and Warner owns all video rights to Batman. That's my understanding, anyway.

Why haven't the studios ever worked out an arrangement that would benefit both studios, and allow consumers to buy Batman in some video format?

Indysolo August 20 2008 06:51 PM

Re: Why No 1960s Batman TV Series on VHS, DVD, etc.?

$$$$$$$

Neil

FalTorPan August 20 2008 07:01 PM

It seems to me that some sort of arrangement could be made which would benefit both companies. Then again, I don't know the soup-to-nuts details about these sorts of things.

Gojirob August 20 2008 07:16 PM

One possibility is of personal enmity between WB-owned CNN and Fox News. Rupert Murdoch founded FN with a mad-on for CNN.

BTW, there are a lot more fingers in the pie than you might think. I think Adam West and George Barris, designer of all those kewl Bat-Vehicles, also get some residuals--then there's the music. I could be wrong, but the estates of Bat-creators Kane and Finger may get something to boot, possibly a settlement done to avoid the Siegel&Shuster lawsuits.

But don't declare it impossible. Until last year and this year, the cynics also said that a modern-day diecast 1966 Batmobile would never see the light of day. Now we have three scales, and three levels of quality in the 1/18.

Rob

nx1701g August 20 2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Indysolo wrote: (Post 1966658)
$$$$$$$

Neil

That's exactly right. There was an interview a few years ago where they said that there were negotiations about releases (this was back when Begins was first coming to DVD) but no agreement could be made. I remember reading that Warner Brothers wanted the majority of the profits while Fox would take a minority share despite making the show.

Dream August 20 2008 08:12 PM

Because god hates campy Batman.

N-121973 August 20 2008 08:34 PM

If thats the case, whats the story with the first Batman movie (1966)? Why wasn't that affected by this dispute?

Greg Cox August 20 2008 08:41 PM

I read there may also be a problem with the series's frequent celebrity cameos. What do you do about all those scenes where Sammy Davis Jr. (or whomever) says hello to Batman as he's scaling the side of a building? Do those performers (or their estates) need to be compensated?

Mind you, that's just a rumor I read somewhere, but it sounds like a plausible complication to me.

tharpdevenport August 20 2008 08:42 PM

Read not too long ago they might be coming even after the legal troubles.

Frontier August 20 2008 10:01 PM

Cause it sucks and they know people would kill themselves if they actually saw such again... :p:lol:

EnsignRicky August 20 2008 10:45 PM

Batman Was a great adaptation of the comic for the time it was made in, just as Burton's were excellent for thier era; Schumacher's, not so much. It'll be interesting in about twenty years to see if that generation's fans rip Nolan's efforts apart as being too serious or too artsy. Personally, I think Batman has done a pretty good job of keeping up with the times; Except for Batman The Animated Series, which is of course timeless.

TigerOfDarkness August 20 2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Frontier wrote: (Post 1967517)
Cause it sucks and they know people would kill themselves if they actually saw such again... :p:lol:

I've watched quite a few episodes recently (the BBC are showing it at the moment) and am still alive :).

Professor Zoom August 20 2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 1967051)
Because god hates campy Batman.

Not my god.
My god trembles in anticipation of the release of Batman on DVD.
Of course, clearly, it's not a mighty god, as if it were, then the release of the sets would have happened.

Quote:

Greg Cox wrote: (Post 1967196)
I read there may also be a problem with the series's frequent celebrity cameos. What do you do about all those scenes where Sammy Davis Jr. (or whomever) says hello to Batman as he's scaling the side of a building? Do those performers (or their estates) need to be compensated?

Mind you, that's just a rumor I read somewhere, but it sounds like a plausible complication to me.

My bet is that an untrue rumor. Residuals were very different then...and didn't last forever. Didn't Shatner's residuals run out on Star Trek? Did cameo's even get residuals then?

I find it hard to believe that they would have to pay estates residuals from almost forty years ago...

Now, if it was something from the 90s...maybe...

Ryan Thomas Riddle August 20 2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Greg Cox wrote: (Post 1967196)

In recent months, I've had to become familiar with agents and talent representation for Hollywood actors and the loops involved with studios and permission rights, licensing and reproductions for a book project I am the research assistant on; therefore, this also seems like a plausible complication to me as well.

RandyS August 21 2008 12:30 AM

Quote:

EnsignRicky wrote: (Post 1967653)
Batman Was a great adaptation of the comic for the time it was made in, just as Burton's were excellent for thier era; Schumacher's, not so much. It'll be interesting in about twenty years to see if that generation's fans rip Nolan's efforts apart

We don't need to wait for the next generation. Ours ALWAYS finds something to bitch about.

Hell, I've heard fans complaining about the ending of The Dark Knight already.