The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   "Superman Returns Again" still in limbo... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=63827)

Norrin Radd August 19 2008 03:05 PM

"Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...
 
Because I know Superman Returns is one of our fave topics here at the sci-fi/fantasy boards, here's a little non-update:

Quote:

Where is Warner Bros Going With Superman?

by Elisabeth Rappe Aug 19th 2008 // 9:02AM


As our Erik Davis reported over the weekend, Warner Bros and DC Comics are in the midst of rehashing their strategy, opting for the slow and steady route. But there's one franchise that has his "reinvention" movie, as it were: Superman. Word is, Warner Bros is utterly torn as to what to do with him.

Variety's Anne Thompson reports that the studio is really taking their time in deciding what to do, and how Bryan Singer will play into it. At this point, despite all the rumors and excited quotes from Singer, no one is working on a Superman script.

Surprisingly, they're with the majority of fans on this one, and feel that the movie didn't revive the character the way they wanted, or the way they know it can be done. (You really have changed things, Christopher Nolan.) Thompson was told that the studio is making the Man of Steel a top priority -- and if Singer is willing "to go in the right direction," they'll keep him, if not, he's off the property. One executive freely admitted that "it might be better to start from scratch."

Remember, Mark Millar and a "big name action director" who had connections at Warner Bros were readying themselves to make a Superman pitch. Millar claimed the world would know by December. Given that such sharks are circling, I won't be surprised if Warners does start from scratch. I'm as perplexed as anyone as to where Singer can go from Superman Returns. For a healthy franchise, they're going to have to reboot, and leave Returns in that misty category of a Donner long delayed sequel.
http://www.cinematical.com/2008/08/1...with-superman/

MeanJoePhaser August 19 2008 03:14 PM

Re: "Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...
 
What about a SERENITY sequel?

Has anyone seen SUNSHINE? What are your opinions on that movie? :p

What did everyone think of the Star Wars prequels?

Stone_Cold_Sisko August 19 2008 03:16 PM

Re: "Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...
 
Well you sort of had to read between the lines, but the fact that, even just a year after SR, they hadn't made any movement on the sequel, told you there was possible trouble behind the scenes.

JoeZhang August 19 2008 03:19 PM

Re: "Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...
 
[quote]Remember, Mark Millar and a "big name action director" who had connections at Warner Bros were readying themselves to make a Superman pitch. Millar claimed the world would know by December.[/qupte]

I like Mark Millar but his connection to reality can be a bit em.. unconnected.

Bad Bishop August 19 2008 04:04 PM

Re: "Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...
 
I don't care what they do any more, as long they keep Routh and Bosworth and not waste screen time on another origin story.

Captain Craig August 19 2008 04:08 PM

Re: "Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...
 
I love the "go in the right direction" comment.
I await the die hard Returns will get a direct sequel crowds response on this one.

Frontier August 19 2008 04:32 PM

Re: "Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...
 
I think they need to abandon "Returns" and start from scratch. Keep the title, keep "The Man of Steel" because it plays off of the Dark Knight, but... otherwise? Reboot.

The one thing they need most of all is a convincing Superman. They need someone with a mid-level large build. Not Schwarzenegger or the Rock build, but between Bale in Begins and Schwarzenegger in T2. Superman is supposed to be a little bulky, no skinny.

Likewise, the voice has to be right. He has to sound 30-ish. Not 18, like Routh.

Lois Lane needs to be a lot more sassy and smart, a lot less... Bosworth. LOL.

Avoid Luthor or make him supporting; do not focus upon him. They need a real villian. Doomsday, Darkside, Zod, somebody who can give him a true physical challenge.

If they want to do any origin stuff, do it like Begins did only quicker. Flashback/memory sequences as the story evolves. Even Superman's introduction to the world should be such. The film should begin with him fighting the bad guy, and go back and forth between such and memories.

Out Of My Vulcan Mind August 19 2008 04:33 PM

Re: "Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...
 
Bring on Green Lantern, The Flash, Shazam, etc, let Supes rest for a few years, and then start from scratch. It's the best approach at this point in my opinion.

Samurai8472 August 19 2008 04:41 PM

Re: "Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...
 
heh I got a chuckle out of the "you've changed things Nolan"

Raimi- to them your just a freak, like me! hahahahaha

misskim86 August 19 2008 04:53 PM

Re: "Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...
 
Quote:

Frontier wrote: (Post 1961729)
I think they need to abandon "Returns" and start from scratch. Keep the title, keep "The Man of Steel" because it plays off of the Dark Knight, but... otherwise? Reboot.

The one thing they need most of all is a convincing Superman. They need someone with a mid-level large build. Not Schwarzenegger or the Rock build, but between Bale in Begins and Schwarzenegger in T2. Superman is supposed to be a little bulky, no skinny.

Likewise, the voice has to be right. He has to sound 30-ish. Not 18, like Routh.

Lois Lane needs to be a lot more sassy and smart, a lot less... Bosworth. LOL.

Avoid Luthor or make him supporting; do not focus upon him. They need a real villian. Doomsday, Darkside, Zod, somebody who can give him a true physical challenge.

If they want to do any origin stuff, do it like Begins did only quicker. Flashback/memory sequences as the story evolves. Even Superman's introduction to the world should be such. The film should begin with him fighting the bad guy, and go back and forth between such and memories.

Those are some really good ideas. Yeah the movie should be a total reboot, Clark arriving to Metropolis, finding a job etc while we get his origin in small flashbacks throughout the movie. Don't throw Doomsday at him in the first movie but definitely a real super villain and not Lex and his never ending supply of Kryptonite.

And yes they need a guy with muscles, Superman is a buff guy

Out Of My Vulcan Mind August 19 2008 05:10 PM

Re: "Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...
 
Routh was easily muscular enough to play Superman (in fact I believe he had the biggest build of any of the actors to play Superman to date). I had no problem with that aspect of the film, and I'd rather not see Superman portrayed as more of a muscle man than that.

Samurai8472 August 19 2008 05:34 PM

Re: "Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...
 
Quote:

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: (Post 1961883)
Routh was easily muscular enough to play Superman (in fact I believe he had the biggest build of any of the actors to play Superman to date). I had no problem with that aspect of the film, and I'd rather not see Superman portrayed as more of a muscle man than that.

Routh had a swimmer's body( Micheal Phelps) unlike Chris Reeve who was trained by the guy who wore the Darth vader suit

davejames August 19 2008 07:46 PM

Re: "Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...
 
Quote:

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: (Post 1961883)
Routh was easily muscular enough to play Superman (in fact I believe he had the biggest build of any of the actors to play Superman to date). I had no problem with that aspect of the film, and I'd rather not see Superman portrayed as more of a muscle man than that.

Same here. Routh was built fine, the problem was the suit was just way too tight and constricting. Hopefully for the next movie they go with a looser and more flattering kind of material (although I still like the redesign they came up with).

Flying Spaghetti Monster August 19 2008 08:23 PM

Re: "Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...
 
Despite his build, Routh seemed too boyish somehow

Aragorn August 19 2008 08:30 PM

Re: "Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...
 
I thought Routh was fine. He would've been much better as a new Superman than the grizzled veteran Superman, but oh well. And Bosworth was about as wrong as you could get for casting.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.