The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Uniform Differences (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=63155)

EJD1984 August 12 2008 12:31 PM

Uniform Differences

I've noticed that the new uniform's material has the Trek logo pattern embossed throughout for Uhura, Scotty, McCoy, Sulu, and Chekov, but not for Spock (maybe not for Kirk as well).

Is this something subtle they're doing interconnected to the ranks? Officers vs. Enlisted?

Admiral Buzzkill August 12 2008 02:23 PM

Re: Uniform Differences

It's just not visible in those two photos.

SonicRanger August 12 2008 02:23 PM

It might just be part of the movie poster art. The whole promotion so far has focused on the delta shield. I doubt that the actors actually will have little delta shields in their eyes in the film -- that's just part of the artwork. So too could be the delta pattern on the uniforms here to give them some texture. I am not convinced that's the actually fabric pattern in the film.

Screamy August 12 2008 02:41 PM

What would it take to convince you, more pictures?

SonicRanger August 12 2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Squiggyfm wrote: (Post 1935987)
What would it take to convince you, more pictures?

Of course a photo that hasn't been artistically altered would be convincing. It just seems clear that the delta shield has been a recurring theme for the film's promotion -- these posters remind us of that. The subtle delta shield pattern, as seen in this posters, could be just an "easter egg" of sorts -- a little detail for us to catch, just like the delta reflected in their eyes. The graphic designers might also have decided that the uniforms needed some sort of texture when printed in monochrome on large posters. At this point, the delta pattern could just be an artistic addition.

Admiral Buzzkill August 12 2008 03:03 PM

The chevrons are on the uniforms.

ancient August 12 2008 05:17 PM

There were no deltas visible on the grey uniform a while back, though that's not a command uniform. Some might have the little pattern thing, but others don't.

Admiral Buzzkill August 12 2008 05:19 PM

Quote:

ancient wrote: (Post 1936402)
There were no deltas visible on the grey uniform a while back, though that's not a command uniform. Some might have the little pattern thing, but others don't.

Let me be more specific: the deltas are on the TOS-style uniforms.

Masquerade August 12 2008 05:28 PM

While I think the uniforms being made of little chevrons is Superman Returns lame, it's not that far a stretch. And it doesn't look as stupid as having a camo pattern made up of the GIJoe logo. The approach they seem to be taking with TOS unis is just layered athletic wear like Nike, Adidas, or Under Armor. The chevron is also a minor detail you'll barely see onscreen.

Messianni August 12 2008 05:39 PM

It's doubtful you'll see them on screen at all. It will just add texture to the uniforms.

Admiral Buzzkill August 12 2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

ManOnTheWave wrote: (Post 1936434)
Superman Returns lame

Non sequitor. ;)

M'Sharak August 12 2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

SonicRanger wrote: (Post 1935950)
It might just be part of the movie poster art. The whole promotion so far has focused on the delta shield. I doubt that the actors actually will have little delta shields in their eyes in the film -- that's just part of the artwork. So too could be the delta pattern on the uniforms here to give them some texture. I am not convinced that's the actually fabric pattern in the film.

It was mentioned in this article at TrekMovie that it is indeed a fabric pattern. That detail and others from the article were discussed in this thread, which also contains links to images in which the fabric pattern can be clearly made out.

The delta shields in the eyes most likely will not be seen in the film. That's just ad stuff. ;)

EJD1984 August 12 2008 07:15 PM

Ok, since there seems to alot of aggrement/conformation about the "delta texture" to the uniforms.

This goes back to my original post: Why does the texture seem to be missing from Spock's shirt?

Messianni August 12 2008 07:21 PM

Lighting.

SonicRanger August 12 2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

M'Sharak wrote: (Post 1936743)
...It was mentioned in this article at TrekMovie that it is indeed a fabric pattern...

Sorta:

Quote:

As TrekMovie’s closer look at the new poster reveals (above), the colored uniform blouses have small ‘delta shield’ emblems woven into the fabric (this is most apparent on Saldana’s)
That just means: "Hey, we looked at the poster and saw a delta pattern."

That is no more authoritative than anyone else looking at the poster.

I should point out, though, that I'm happy if this adds more depth to the uniforms so that they look great on a 40' screen or in high-def -- I'm not certainly against the idea, just a bit dubious at this point that we're not just seeing some creative license in the poster art.