The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   First Cut of 'Star Trek XI' Finished (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=62467)

TrekToday August 4 2008 11:32 PM

First Cut of 'Star Trek XI' Finished

The first cut of <i>Star Trek XI</i> was recently screened for Paramount Studio Boss <font color=yellow>Brad Grey</font> and other Paramount bigwigs who were impressed with the quality of the film.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://trekmovie.com">TrekMovie.com</A>, the first cut was completed four months after principal photography wrapped on <i>Star Trek XI</i> by <font color=yellow>J.J. Abrams</font> and editors <font color=yellow>Maryann Brandon</font> and <font color=yellow>Mary Jo Markey</font>.<p>The screening, held last week, was a big success. Various comments coming from different sources who were privileged to watch the initial effort ranged from "a hit," and "very impressive," to "far beyond expectations." Expectations for <i>Star Trek XI</i> have been high and were a factor in the movie being moved from its original December 2008 release date to May 2009.<p>There is still much work to be done, including the special effects and the music, which will be done by <font color=yellow>Michael Giacchino</font>. Fans are waiting for the release of the theatrical trailer, which is edited, but is not yet finalized. The trailer is expected out sometime this year.<p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://trekmovie.com/2008/08/04/first-cut-of-star-trek-complete-paramount-preview-goes-well/">here</A>.<center></center>

Augustus August 5 2008 01:57 AM

Re: First Cut of 'Star Trek XI' Finished

well, it would be interesting to see an unfinished movie, without music, and much of the special effects and extra sound...

... and still call it a hit.

Procutus August 5 2008 02:26 AM

Let's hope the suits are on target with their assessment. I like the part about it 'exceeding expectations'.

Let's hope.

;)

DorkBoy [TM] August 5 2008 02:27 AM

"We are all very pleased."

:devil:

Augustus August 5 2008 02:31 AM

I love how everyone keeps bringing up "We are all very pleased."
haha

number6 August 5 2008 02:36 AM

Quote:

Augustus wrote: (Post 1910452)
I love how everyone keeps bringing up "We are all very pleased."
haha

I don't.
It's petty and juvenile.

cardinal biggles August 5 2008 06:14 AM

Yes, it's petty and juvenile to joke about the man who helped take Star Trek from "sittin' on top of the world" to "full of fail" in the span of a decade.

This early positive reaction to the screening is good. Special effects and music can only add so much, and shouldn't be expected to carry a film. So if this reaction is strictly off the story and performances (and whatever ILM has completed to date), then I think it's a good sign.

number6 August 5 2008 06:58 AM

Quote:

cardinal biggles wrote: (Post 1911036)
Yes, it's petty and juvenile to joke about the man who helped take Star Trek from "sittin' on top of the world" to "full of fail" in the span of a decade.

I'm glad we agree.

Pioneer August 5 2008 08:29 AM

Quote:

This early positive reaction to the screening is good. Special effects and music can only add so much, and shouldn't be expected to carry a film. So if this reaction is strictly off the story and performances (and whatever ILM has completed to date), then I think it's a good sign.

Excuse my ignorance (again!) but I don't get the whole "We are all very pleased." thing. Seems to be a bone of contention of some kind. Could someone please explain? Thanks.

number6 August 5 2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Pioneer wrote: (Post 1911232)
Quote:

Excuse my ignorance (again!) but I don't get the whole "We are all very pleased." thing. Seems to be a bone of contention of some kind. Could someone please explain? Thanks.

Every time Rick Berman gave an interview about something he would say he was very pleased with what was coming up, even though some detracters would always be disappointed no matter what because they thing Berman is the Anti-christ who destroyed Star Trek. It seemed like the only thing he ever said in interviews is "We are all very pleased," and then it would be crap. It got to the point where everytime he gave an interview someone would chime in with that and it was always in some petty, childish, antagonistic way.. Because everything Berman touched turned to shit.
It was stupid and ridiculous then and it's even moreso now, since Berman is no longer involved with Star Trek.

cardinal biggles August 5 2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

number6 wrote: (Post 1911115)
Quote:

I'm glad we agree.

It would seem we also agree that you need to have your sarcasm detector upgraded.

apostle83 August 5 2008 02:36 PM

I'm excited that someone besides the beebs are pleased.

ncc74302 August 5 2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

DorkBoy [TM] wrote: (Post 1910441)
"We are all very pleased."

:devil:

Darnit. You beat me to it. I was gonna throw that in too.

Augustus August 5 2008 05:28 PM

well, most people here seem to have utter disdain for "we are all very pleased".

I guess I just don't take the comment that seriously...

Admiral Buzzkill August 5 2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

All these years later? It's that and a few more things besides.

But hell, there are old fans who froth and foam over Fred Freiberger, so I guess that's just fandom.