The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Sports and Fitness (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   2008 Olympics! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=62083)

Turbo July 31 2008 09:03 PM

2008 Olympics!

They're nearly here! I'm lucking out with the Olympics this year; I can stay up late/get up early and watch a lot of the events online as I have two weeks off between the end of work (the 8th) and the beginning of the semester (the 21st).

Do you know anyone who's going? What events do y'all plan to watch? Or do you not care at all?

I'm going to try and check out the weightlifting, judo, and taekwondo finals online, and I'll definitely be watching the baseball games on TV (or online if necessary). I'd also like to see some soccer, wrestling, boxing, and beach volleyball (the last for reasons that have nothing to do with talent).

Roger Wilco July 31 2008 09:08 PM

Re: 2008 Olympics!

Quote:

Turbo wrote: (Post 1896289)
and beach volleyball (the last for reasons that have nothing to do with talent).

Hehe, women's handball, volleyball, track&field (some of it), and swimming/diving are good tips in that regard too. :D

Evil Headhunter July 31 2008 09:11 PM

I'm not sure which events I'll be following this time around. Last Summer Olympics I didn't get to watch much of, and the one before that I was really into track & field, but that interest has waned in 8 years. I'll probably just check in now and then until I connect with something.

I far prefer the Winter Olympics because I love all of the events.

Turbo July 31 2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Roger Wilco wrote: (Post 1896321)
Quote:

Turbo wrote: (Post 1896289)
and beach volleyball (the last for reasons that have nothing to do with talent).

Hehe, women's handball, volleyball, track&field (some of it), and swimming/diving are good tips in that regard too. :D

While I do appreciate a nice piece of T&A, who said anything about gals? :D

Yes, I'll probably try and see some of the track & field events, though that's not necessarily for the above reasons. Forgot to include that. They should be interesting, especially since the track athletes seem to be getting thrown out left and right. 7 Russian women were suspended by Russia's track agency today after they gave false urine samples to be tested; 3 of them were on the Olympic team.

Sheliak July 31 2008 09:14 PM

I'd like to see the fencing, but NBC's coverage of the Olympics always sucks.

Free Tibet!

Smiley July 31 2008 09:27 PM

I will watch whatever I can when I'm at home. The primetime coverage is usually a good synopsis of the day's major happenings. With online sources, any really great plays or moments are available after the fact, so I'm not too worried about missing something important.

anais July 31 2008 09:58 PM

Looking at the schedule, I'll try to catch Track & Field, Kayaking (at least the slalom part), Diving, BMX Cycling and Trampoline. The last two look like so much fun.

Timewalker July 31 2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Sheliak wrote: (Post 1896358)
I'd like to see the fencing, but NBC's coverage of the Olympics always sucks.

Free Tibet!

You need our CBC coverage. Any event where the Canadians have a medal contender or even just a participant are covered live. And it's not only Canadian participants -- any event with well-known or interesting athletes tends to get covered live.

We've got medal hopefuls in the rowing events, and I want to see the men's gymnastics. Actually, I end up watching a little of most of it, except I really don't get the attraction of track -- it's the elite event, but it's over too fast. Plus, there's so much cheating...

I do enjoy the events such as cycling, where we get to see some of the country where the event happens, rather than the inside of an arena that could be anywhere.

But I'm a confirmed Winter Olympics junkie, at heart. Olympic hockey is much better than the regular stuff, because there's no fighting allowed.

RAMA July 31 2008 10:45 PM

Ah the wonders of DVR!

Timewalker July 31 2008 10:51 PM

Yes, but what if you accidentally hear the results in the meantime? I nearly slapped a taxi driver into the next century because he blabbed the results of the men's figure skating finals to me before I'd seen the nightly replay. After I knew the results, I had no interest in actually watching it.

Roger Wilco August 1 2008 06:59 AM

Quote:

Turbo wrote: (Post 1896349)

Ehm, sorry. ;)

But I guess the same thing applies to the men too, the athletes in all the team sports are incredibly muscular.

ElimParra August 1 2008 08:10 AM

So a week today and it starts. I'll try and watch what I can. Most likely will see highlights on the news and/or in online newspapers.

Hermiod August 1 2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Roger Wilco wrote: (Post 1898081)
Quote:

Turbo wrote: (Post 1896349)

Ehm, sorry. ;)

But I guess the same thing applies to the men too, the athletes in all the team sports are incredibly muscular.

I demand Darts at the next Olympics!

Roger Wilco August 1 2008 08:18 AM

Only if they admit table football too!

apostle83 August 1 2008 03:24 PM

I personally am in love with the Winter Olympics - fell in love with them in '92 and '94 with the love duo of Kerrigan and Yamaguichi performing so well.

Of course, Lillehammer seemed so ideal a place for the Olympics, and they also showed people skiing around with guns on their backs.