The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Fan Productions (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=58112)

FalTorPan June 18 2008 03:49 AM

Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions
 
I thought I'd start a more upbeat thread pertaining to Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes.

In case any of its makers happen to read this thread, how's the project coming along?

I'm also curious about the software being used to make the show.

Thanks!

dougkeenan June 18 2008 04:16 AM

Re: Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions
 
Quote:

FalTorPan wrote: (Post 1751875)
I'm also curious about the software being used to make the show.

Copy that! This is a great new adventure all its own.

FalTorPan June 18 2008 04:18 AM

Re: Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions
 
This thread and my recent purchase of some original cels from He-Man and the Masters of the Universe have made me somewhat nostalgic for Filmation shows. I'm curious about how the SF:TAE people are recreating that look.

Ryan Thomas Riddle June 18 2008 04:21 AM

Re: Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions
 
Yeah, I'd like to know as well. I am really looking forward to this production. I've enjoyed all the Farragut adventures so far.

NEO f/x June 18 2008 02:06 PM

Re: Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions
 
Ask and ye shall receive...

This is Michael, manager of the NEO f/x team. I appreciate everyone's interest in our project, so I joined specifically to give you an update on our progress.
  • We have the primary voices recorded (Chase Masterson, Chris Doohan, Vic Mignogna, Tim Russ and the rest of the Farragut crew). We are going through and finding any areas we need re-takes, but we are close to being done with recording.
  • I met with Lou Scheimer, one of the founders of Filmation, when I was last in LA. I was invited to his house where I showed him what we had so far. He gave his full endorsement on the project. As many of you may know, he also voiced quite a few characters in the original Filmation cartoons, and he may be making a cameo appearance in our productions as well.
  • I finally got to meet Jack Trevino (DS9) while in Texas last month. He is a great guy, and monitors this forum on a regular basis.
  • We have a new illustrator on board from Japan. While his expertise is anime, he is delivering some high-quality TAS stuff.
  • Our Associate Producer, Kail Tescar (from startrekanimated.com), is still working on a comic book of Starship Farragut as well, and he hopes to release that toward the end of the year. He is also our primary illustrator and is producing some great characterizations of the Farragut crew, along with some TAS-style backgrounds.
  • Our composer has turned in some sketches of some great TAS style music. This is one area people remember from the original series and many of the cues will be reminiscent of TAS.
In other words, we are moving along nicely. However, I know what everyone wants to hear...a release date. I still want to put these out before the end of the year. The original plan was to release them both at the same time; however, we may stagger them so we can get each one 'just right' for the fans.

As for the question FalTorPan asked about how we are creating this, the answer is actually very similar to the original series. While there are animation software packages out there that could help us with this, we are going 'old school' and creating individual 'cels' in programs like Photoshop, and then 'staging' the cels in After Effects. They are then hand animated, just like the original. I have spent hours personally 'dissecting' the original episodes and found a technique that seems to replicate the 'feel' of TAS.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments about this project.

johnhazard June 18 2008 03:48 PM

Re: Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions
 
It sounds awesome.
I wouldn't have a lot of time to volunteer, but if you need some drawings or animation of aliens or props or backgrounds, I'd love to have a picture in there.

Mallory June 18 2008 08:47 PM

Re: Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions
 
It does indeed sound awesome. As a fan of the original TAS, I can't wait to see these. All you guys need a red shirt security guard who trips over exploding rocks. I also find it very cool that this is being developed just down the road from where I live.

And welcome to the board NEO f/x! Don't be a stranger. :)

NEO f/x June 18 2008 11:13 PM

Re: Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions
 
Guys,

It thrills me to see the positive response this is getting....I will certainly NOT be a stranger here.

johnhazard-I believe I e-mailed you last year about helping ;). If you still have my e-mail I would certainly love to have your name in the end credits...I will have to go over the scripts, but I am almost sure we can find a background or two for you to do.

Mallory-Where abouts are you located? The director of Exeter is up here too and we have worked on a couple projects together. You know how the beer is around here...maybe you have seen me at one of the local pubs.

Cheers!
:beer:

Mallory June 18 2008 11:41 PM

Re: Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions
 
Quote:

NEO f/x wrote: (Post 1754667)
Mallory-Where abouts are you located? The director of Exeter is up here too and we have worked on a couple projects together. You know how the beer is around here...maybe you have seen me at one of the local pubs.

I'm in Hillsboro, mere minutes up 217 and 26 from your offices, at 3am anyway. :lol:

And you're right about the beer around here. The Portland area is definitely Beervana!

NEO f/x June 19 2008 01:01 AM

Re: Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions
 
There is a great McMenamins on Cornell and 185th I used to go to...Great beer and Gardenburgers!

Anyway, good to know you are on the board...if you see me around tap me on my shoulder...or better yet...buy the next round ;)

FalTorPan June 19 2008 02:32 AM

Re: Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions
 
NEO f/x/Michael, thanks for registering and replying to our questions!

You met with Lou Scheimer? I'm both impressed and envious. That must have been a thrill!

Quote:

NEO f/x wrote: (Post 1752621)
As for the question FalTorPan asked about how we are creating this, the answer is actually very similar to the original series. While there are animation software packages out there that could help us with this, we are going 'old school' and creating individual 'cels' in programs like Photoshop, and then 'staging' the cels in After Effects. They are then hand animated, just like the original. I have spent hours personally 'dissecting' the original episodes and found a technique that seems to replicate the 'feel' of TAS.

That is so cool. Wow. :drool:

johnhazard June 19 2008 03:24 AM

Re: Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions
 
Quote:

NEO f/x wrote: (Post 1754667)
johnhazard-I believe I e-mailed you last year about helping ;). If you still have my e-mail I would certainly love to have your name in the end credits...I will have to go over the scripts, but I am almost sure we can find a background or two for you to do.
:

Crap! I'm sure if I saw it I would have jumped at the chance- I love Faragut. If you sent it to my "trek at thehazmat dot com" that would explain it, I had to ditch that one because it was nothing but tons of spam.

If you need anything, please email me at john at thehazmat dot com

Mallory June 19 2008 03:37 AM

Re: Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions
 
Quote:

NEO f/x wrote: (Post 1754977)
There is a great McMenamins on Cornell and 185th I used to go to...Great beer and Gardenburgers!

I visit the Roadhouse on Cornelius Pass by 185th on a pretty regular basis. :D
Quote:

Anyway, good to know you are on the board...if you see me around tap me on my shoulder...or better yet...buy the next round ;)
Will do!

NEO f/x June 19 2008 01:21 PM

Re: Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions
 
Quote:

FalTorPan wrote: (Post 1755198)
NEO f/x/Michael, thanks for registering and replying to our questions!

You met with Lou Scheimer? I'm both impressed and envious. That must have been a thrill!

Yeah...there are some pictures of it over at the Farragut forums. He is probably one of the nicest older gentlemen I have met in a LONG time. And VERY VERY funny. He is also, for 80 years old, sharp as a whip. He spent a couple hours at lunch telling stories of the 'old days' in Hollywood and how he got Filmation started.

It was a true thrill to meet him.

dayxday1000 June 20 2008 08:55 PM

Re: Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions
 
Thanks for the updates! I was thrilled when I first read about this project and saw the teaser. There was some talk about an animated Exeter production a while back but it never seemed to get off the ground. I've enjoyed the work of Kail Tescar and NeoFX and I'm really looking forward to following this and watching the final product(s). Thanks! :techman:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.