The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Ellison Documentary To Open (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=56804)

TrekToday June 3 2008 11:43 PM

Ellison Documentary To Open

A new documentary about <font color=yellow>Harlan Ellison</font> opens tomorrow in New York City.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.nysun.com">New York Sun</A>, the seventy-four-year old Ellison is featured in <font color=yellow>Erik Nelson's</font> <i>Dreams With Sharp Teeth</i>, a new documentary on the colorful writer.<p>In addition to the standard old television clips, interviews and historical montages, Ellison was given plenty of time to spout off about his favorite topics; the abuse of writers, Hollywood stupidity, cruelty of his fellow man and about Ellison himself. <p>The project was begun in 2002. Age has not mellowed Ellison, who is still cranky and combative, perhaps a legacy of his childhood where he was obliged to learn how to outwit larger bullies. "He's like a skin graft on a leper," said <font color=yellow>Robin Williams</font> who is an old friend. As one might expect, there are plenty of shots of Ellison screaming at (or about) other people.<p>Ellison gives short dramatic readings in the documentary including one from his teleplay of <i>The City on the Edge of Forever</i>, an episode that became a fan favorite. <p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.nysun.com/arts/in-documentary-harlan-ellisons-dreams-get-sweeter/79130/">here</A>.<center></center>

Pioneer June 4 2008 05:22 AM

Re: Ellison Documentary To Open

Ellison's a real bandy rooster. Those little guys are always scrapin' for a fight. :mad:

OmahaStar June 4 2008 06:45 PM

I'd love to see this documentary .. I hope it makes the independent theatre circuit, I'd go see it.

Admiral Buzzkill June 4 2008 06:56 PM

Whatever Ellison has to say is just about automatically a hundred times smarter and more interesting than commentary by actors and TV producers concerning anything/

Gep Malakai June 4 2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Starship Polaris wrote: (Post 1708645)
Whatever Ellison has to say is just about automatically a hundred times smarter and more interesting than commentary by actors and TV producers concerning anything/

And also a hundred times crankier. :p

Jack Bauer June 4 2008 09:21 PM

Quote:

His interviews with Tom Snyder were better than most.:techman:

M'Sharak June 4 2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Jack Bauer wrote: (Post 1709262)
Quote:

Those were great fun.

Ellison is always interesting, often very amusing and generally dead on, no matter what the subject. I'd be quite interested in seeing this documentary.

Admiral Buzzkill June 5 2008 02:01 AM

Quote:

Jack Bauer wrote: (Post 1709262)
Quote:

Damn, the night Snyder had Ellison as his only guest I thought Snyder was going to throttle him about three-quarters of the way through. :lol:

Or the time he was on with the Trek actors and annoyed Doohan by calling Trek "another cop show." ;)

Admiral Buzzkill June 5 2008 02:04 AM

Here's a good clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yaY98GTCYM

Procutus June 5 2008 03:10 AM

Quote:

Starship Polaris wrote: (Post 1710219)

Or the time he was on with the Trek actors and annoyed Doohan by calling Trek "another cop show." ;)

I remember that! That was Harlan at his best!

I had the pleasure of meeting him many years ago at the Superman Exposition here in Cleveland. He was funny, witty and generally a real riot. I'm glad I had the chance to meet one of my very favorite writers.

Admiral Buzzkill June 5 2008 03:04 PM

Actually, on the clip I linked to one of the more interesting exchanges is at the very end and involves Kelley - it's 1976, and Snyder asks the cast whether they enjoy Trek conventions or are tired of them. DeForest Kelley says, wearily, "Well, I've done a couple and I'm getting kind of tired of them, yeah." :lol:

Tralah June 5 2008 05:54 PM

Poor Kelley! He had no idea what he was in for in the future.

Pioneer June 6 2008 05:50 AM

@Starship Polaris: Thanks for the link. Those outfits and haircuts are wild. Really took me back. I thought I'd forgotten about Disco (God knows, I tried) and then WHAM! there it is. And all that smoking!?!

Harlan Ellison is really funny, especially when he is "committing the truth". He's one of the few people I can think of who hates the suits more than I do.

garamet June 6 2008 06:10 AM

Quote:

Pfft! He certainly seems to think he holds the copyright on the f-word.

sidious618 June 6 2008 07:42 AM

I have a love hate thing with Harlan. He's great sometimes while other times I just moan.