The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=55083)

TrekToday May 18 2008 03:58 AM

Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision
 
After being with his partner for almost two dozen years, <font color=yellow>George Takei</font> can now plan a marriage.<p>As reported at <A class="link" HREF="http://www.georgetakei.com">GeorgeTakei.com</A>, Takei is pleased that his same-sex relationship can lead to marriage in California with the recent decision of the California Supreme Court to permit same-sex marriage."Our California dream is reality," said Takei. "Brad Altman and I can now marry. We are overjoyed! At long last, the barrier to full marriage rights for same-sex couples has been torn down. We are equal with all citizens of our state!"<p>"The California Supreme Court further ruled that our Constitution provides for equal protection for all and that it cannot have marriage for one group and another form, domestic partnership, for another group," added Takei. "No more "separate but equal." No more second-class citizenship. Brad and I are going to be married as full citizens of our state."<p>"With time, I know the opposition to same sex marriage, too, will be seen as an antique and discreditable part of our history," said Takei. "For now, Brad and I are enjoying the delicious dilemma of deciding where, when, and how we will be married. Marriage equality took a long time, but, like fine wine, its bouquet is simply exquisite."<p>Takei also spoke of his experience in participating in the <i>Secret Talents of the Stars</i>. "It was a lot of fun working with super wonderful people under the usual pressure of a large and complex production," he said. "The music started and I got with the beat. The rousing rhythm of Willie Nelson's great hit, 'On the Road Again,' felt so right. The song joyfully flowed out of my body. I sang my heart out. The cheering, stomping and hollerin' when I finished was tremendous. Signs that read 'Beam Me Up' and 'This is Takei Country' bobbed up and down. It was truly an exhilarating feeling."<p>To read more, head to the articles located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.georgetakei.com/news.asp">here</A> and <A class="link" HREF="http://www.georgetakei.com/news-2008-april.asp">here</A>.<center></center>

Pioneer May 18 2008 05:44 PM

Re: Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision
 
IFAIK domestic partners have the same rights under California law as married people do. So the marriage decision is moot. I think that government should get out of the marriage business altogether and just adjudicate domestic partnership rights. In other words, you go to the state to get a domestic partnership license which will grant the partners certain rights and responsibilities under the law regardless of the genders of the respective partners. Marriage, on the other hand, is a religious/social ritual/agreement like, say, baptism and as such is irrelevant to the state and separate from it, like religion itself.

But if I were a gay in California (I am neither), I wouldn't be so quick to pop open the champagne. It won't be long until some right-wing stormtroopers start a movement to draft an amendment to the California constitution forbidding same-sex marriages. It's already happened in several other states. Sad. Sad and evil.

Bad Bishop May 18 2008 06:44 PM

Re: Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision
 
Quote:

Pioneer wrote: (Post 1651118)

But if I were a gay in California (I am neither), I wouldn't be so quick to pop open the champagne. It won't be long until some right-wing stormtroopers start a movement to draft an amendment to the California constitution forbidding same-sex marriages.

The sooner the better.

Back to George Takei, the new Queen of Outer Space: I don't know what offends me more--his inability to shut up about his homosexuality, or his attempt to start a singing career.

Kpnuts May 18 2008 07:10 PM

Re: Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision
 
His inability to shut up about anything.

Admiral Buzzkill May 18 2008 09:17 PM

Re: Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision
 
Congratulations to Takei and his partner soon-to-be-spouse.

Folks who think they're going to roll this decision back in California are due for a shock. :lol:

Bad Bishop May 18 2008 09:39 PM

Re: Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision
 
Quote:

Starship Polaris wrote: (Post 1651737)
Congratulations to Takei and his partner soon-to-be-spouse.

Folks who think they're going to roll this decision back in California are due for a shock. :lol:

I don't know why you think so. The initiative on the November ballot does not need a two-thirds majority to pass. A single vote majority will do.

garamet May 18 2008 11:00 PM

Re: Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision
 
Quote:

Kpnuts wrote: (Post 1651309)
His inability to shut up about anything.

Of course. Everybody knows actors waive their right to opinions as soon as they get their SAG card. :rolleyes:

Samuel T. Cogley May 19 2008 01:00 AM

Re: Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision
 
Quote:

TrekToday wrote: (Post 1650061)
"For now, Brad and I are enjoying the delicious dilemma of deciding where, when, and how we will be married. Marriage equality took a long time, but, like fine wine, its bouquet is simply exquisite."

Well, he certainly is gay. :lol:

Good for you, George. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this when you next co-host the Howard Stern show.

And I have to agree with Howard when he said, "I think gays should have the right to get married. Why can't they be miserable like the rest of us?" :lol:

ancient May 19 2008 02:25 AM

Re: Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision
 
I heard they also made it legal for the SHAT to marry himself. He's a very lucky man.

Samuel T. Cogley May 19 2008 02:28 AM

Re: Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision
 
Quote:

ancient wrote: (Post 1652747)
I heard they also made it legal for the SHAT to marry himself. He's a very lucky man.

It must have been his lifelong ambition!

Admiral Buzzkill May 19 2008 02:22 PM

Re: Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision
 
Quote:

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: (Post 1652761)
Quote:

ancient wrote: (Post 1652747)
I heard they also made it legal for the SHAT to marry himself. He's a very lucky man.

It must have been his lifelong ambition!

Hope he finds married sex as stimulating as shacking up with himself.

Turtletrekker May 20 2008 08:26 AM

Re: Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision
 
Quote:

Kpnuts wrote: (Post 1651309)
His inability to shut up about anything.

Sadly, a common affliction.

garamet May 20 2008 05:54 PM

Re: Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision
 
Quote:

Turtletrekker wrote: (Post 1657402)
Quote:

Kpnuts wrote: (Post 1651309)
His inability to shut up about anything.

Sadly, a common affliction.

Is that written down somewhere? "Celebrities are not entitled to opinions unless I agree with them." It's invoked frequently, so I figure it must be in a list of regulations somewhere.

Samuel T. Cogley May 20 2008 07:55 PM

Re: Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision
 
Quote:

garamet wrote: (Post 1658478)
Quote:

Turtletrekker wrote: (Post 1657402)
Quote:

Kpnuts wrote: (Post 1651309)
His inability to shut up about anything.

Sadly, a common affliction.

Is that written down somewhere? "Celebrities are not entitled to opinions unless I agree with them." It's invoked frequently, so I figure it must be in a list of regulations somewhere.

I think it's more akin to, "Why are they paying so much attention to that guy's opinion (which I disagree with), when they aren't paying any attention to mine."

T'Bonz May 20 2008 08:36 PM

Re: Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision
 
Oh heck, why mind Takei talking? He's one of the nicest and friendliest of the Star Trek actors.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.