The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Shatner on Conan (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=54721)

TrekToday May 14 2008 04:00 AM

Shatner on Conan

Appearing on the <i>Late Night with Conan O'Brien</i> show, <font color=yellow>William Shatner</font> puzzled over <font color=yellow>George Takei's</font> animosity towards him.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://trekmovie.com">TrekMovie.com</A>, Shatner appeared on O'Brien's show to promote his new autobiography <i>Up Till Now</i>. He appeared in a skit and then shared some of the stories which are in the new autobiography, including one in which he met Koko the gorilla and narrowly escaped with his "family jewels" intact.<p>Shatner discussed the rancor that some of his former <i>Star Trek</i> cast members felt for him, which came as a surprise to him. "Six years after the show was over, I wanted to do a book called 'Star Trek memories'," he explained. "The only problem was that I couldn't remember anything that had happened on 'Star Trek'. So I canvassed everybody I could find. 'What do you remember? Oh right, I remember that' and I would write it down and share it. So I got to Nichelle Nichols, finally I had interviewed everyone including George and said thank you Nichelle...She said 'hold on, don't you want to ask me how much I despise you?' 'What, I though we were...' 'No, no, we all despise you.'When did that happen? So it turned out that George Takei doesn't like me."<p>Takei's dislike of Shatner came out in a roast held for the former Captain Kirk. "He [Takei] doesn't like me. I don't know why. He hasn't liked me. It's been forty years. Why hasn't he given up on it? He still doesn't like me. He really hates me. So he's invited on the show. Now the roast is supposed to be fun. Ha, ha, ha. We really hate you. No we don't. This is what he did. So they thought it would be funny if I rode in on a horse to open the show. So I rode in on the horse. That leads you to the inevitable line. So he was given the inevitable line. 'Screw you and the horse that you rode in on', right? But he said [in a mean, serious voice] 'Screw YOU and the horse you rode in on.' Wasn't funny!"<p>To read more and to see the ten minute video of Shatner on the show, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://trekmovie.com/2008/05/13/shatner-talks-takei-feud-on-conan/">here</A>.<center></center>

Agent Richard07 May 14 2008 04:23 AM

Re: Shatner on Conan

He said the same things on The View this morning. You can watch the segment here. He talks about the Trek stuff around the 4:40 mark. He said "It's been 40 years! It's time to let it go!" and the audience and bursts out in laughter, and the way he said it was like watching the "Get a life!" bit all over again.

Pioneer May 14 2008 01:42 PM

Shatner's ego wouldn't allow him to notice that people he worked with didn't like him. But he's a different person now. He's re-invented himself and is now "The Shat". But he still can't pronounce George Takei's name correctly. :lol:

DorkBoy [TM] May 14 2008 02:00 PM

The Shat was on Conan? Aw man, I missed it.

I really wish you would post a story before these talk show appearances so we can set our Tivos to record them. :)

"Shat on Conan" - that sounds unpleasant doesn't it??? :lol:

[Edit: Oh wait, they posted a video. So I guess you are forgiven.]

DorkBoy [TM] May 14 2008 03:03 PM

That was GREAT. Conan is awesome! That was much funnier than when he was on Leno the other day promoting his book.

I laughed so hard I cried. :)

T'Bonz May 14 2008 06:32 PM

He'll be on Glenn Beck for an hour on Friday (7 PM EST). I think Beck is on regular CNN.

Hoser May 14 2008 07:13 PM

He was great, it was an awesome show. I loved how Conan went off on him because he wouldn't pronounce Takei right.

'In the year 2000' was kinda funny too.

RobertScorpio May 14 2008 08:10 PM

Quote:

DorkBoy [TM] wrote: (Post 1638552)
That was GREAT. Conan is awesome! That was much funnier than when he was on Leno the other day promoting his book.

I laughed so hard I cried. :)

yes, I did too.. I actually saw it when it was on LIVE and dropped my jaw when he mentioned takie would enjoy grabbing his balls...CLASSIC shatner!!!

Rob

RobertScorpio May 14 2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

T'Bonz wrote: (Post 1639111)
He'll be on Glenn Beck for an hour on Friday (7 PM EST). I think Beck is on regular CNN.

Shatner on Glen Beck? That should be cool.

Years ago Beck and his radio show did a re-dramatization of Orson Wells WAR OF THE WORLDS...It was well done!!!

Rob
scorpio

ancient May 16 2008 02:44 AM

Nimoy has mentioned that he regretted that SHAT couldn't see past his own ego and connect with anyone else on the set. He was so absorbed in himself that he never noticed how much he was pissing everyone off. Nimoy escaped that fate by having a more popular character than SHAT and actually getting studio clout on his side. I guess you need to get SHAT to notice you first.

Dusty Ayres May 20 2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

ancient wrote: (Post 1644074)
Nimoy has mentioned that he regretted that SHAT couldn't see past his own ego and connect with anyone else on the set. He was so absorbed in himself that he never noticed how much he was pissing everyone off. Nimoy escaped that fate by having a more popular character than SHAT and actually getting studio clout on his side. I guess you need to get SHAT to notice you first.

This coming from the guy who wasn't honest enough to admit that he was an alcoholic-for years!

ancient May 23 2008 06:37 PM

But...I'm not an alcoholic, I just like to swim in beer for the aroma.

Dusty Ayres June 2 2008 06:48 AM

Quote:

ancient wrote: (Post 1669404)
But...I'm not an alcoholic, I just like to swim in beer for the aroma.

I meant Nimoy, not you.