The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   'Star Trek: The Experience' To End? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=53774)

TrekToday May 4 2008 06:46 AM

'Star Trek: The Experience' To End?
 
The contract between CBS and Cedar Fair (who owns <i>The Experience</i>) ends this year and it may not be renewed.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://trekmovie.com">TrekMovie.com</A>, <i>The Experience</i> attraction, in operation since 1998, may close after the current contract expires at the end of the year. "There are currently no plans to renew it," said a spokesperson from Cedar Fair. <p>Attendance has been declining for years, in spite of the introduction of the "Borg Invasion 4D" ride in 2004. Cost reductions have helped, but may not be enough to save the attraction. <p>This is not the first time that the attraction's future has been in peril. As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.trektoday.com/news/280106_01.shtml">TrekToday</A> two years ago, a change in ownership of the Las Vegas Hilton was cause for concern, but the attraction survived.<p>A final decision on whether to keep the attraction or not will be made by the end of May. It is possible that the attraction could be sold by Cedar Fair to another company, who would then have to make new deals with both the Hilton and CBS. <p>A closure would also effect the annual official Creation Star Trek Convention which has been held yearly at the Las Vegas Hilton since <i>The Experience</i> opened in 1998. A decision would have to be made as to whether they should stay at the Hilton, or relocate to another hotel, possibly opting for one closer to "the strip".<p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://trekmovie.com/2008/05/02/future-of-star-trek-the-experience-in-doubt/">here</A>.<center></center>

Biggshow May 4 2008 09:09 AM

Re: 'Star Trek: The Experience' To End?
 
Hey, T'Bonz, thanks for the story. A friend at The Experience pointed me in that direction and I added it to my thread in General Trek Discussion.

I really hope some agreement can be reached. For those of you who want contact info for all the parties invloved, check out the thread "Whither Star Trek: The Experience? Update".

Write letters. Make calls but be polite.

AntonyF May 4 2008 09:39 AM

Re: 'Star Trek: The Experience' To End?
 
The amount of money I've dumped in their bar should mean it should survive for years!

Jefferies May 4 2008 11:50 AM

Re: 'Star Trek: The Experience' To End?
 
Makes we wonder, is this further evidence for a continual decline of Star Trek? Is fandom shrinking? I suppose with no current show on the air it should not come as a surprise. Hopefully, the new movie will make trek more relevant again!

Pioneer May 4 2008 01:55 PM

Re: 'Star Trek: The Experience' To End?
 
Quote:

Jefferies wrote: (Post 1603849)
Makes we wonder, is this further evidence for a continual decline of Star Trek? Is fandom shrinking? I suppose with no current show on the air it should not come as a surprise. Hopefully, the new movie will make trek more relevant again!

The decline of Star Trek?!? Bite your tongue, infidel! :p
Will the new movie help? One can only hope.

Augustus May 4 2008 02:02 PM

Re: 'Star Trek: The Experience' To End?
 
I was actually thinking about the experience the other day. I visited once in 2000. It was fun, but recently I have wondered about its attendance and how it was still open. That would be nice to try to keep it open a little longer, at least until the new movie comes out...

USS Intrepid May 4 2008 07:33 PM

Re: 'Star Trek: The Experience' To End?
 
I really hope they can keep the thing going. I love that place, and the staff are great fun.

Caretaker May 4 2008 07:51 PM

Re: 'Star Trek: The Experience' To End?
 
I went about a year and a half ago, and enjoyed it (I'm not one for theme park rides, but even I liked the simulator). Unfortunately, I never did get a Warp Core Breach - I was kind of hoping to go back some day.

Cmndr J Crichton May 4 2008 10:26 PM

Re: 'Star Trek: The Experience' To End?
 
Why don't they start re-airing all the episodes on CBS say on Sunday night. Get people re-introduced to the franchise. Start with The Cage, and go on from there. At the end of each episode, have a teaser of Star Trek: The Experience. As the movie gets closer to release, do both Experience, and movie teasers. I hope it doesn't close. All they need to do is update Klingon Encounter to fit either with Shatner's Enterprise, or Pines Enterprise.

Dale May 4 2008 11:54 PM

Re: 'Star Trek: The Experience' To End?
 
I've been many, many times and have some very fond memories of the place. Also some 'bouts of drinking Romulan Ale (unctuated with Bolian Sunsets and the osccasional Warp Core Breach). The staff and characters have always been great, but the place has declined in recent years as far as attendance and also the number of alien characters around at one time. I guess they've had to cut back on staffing as attendance slipped. I used to go and see two Ferengi and several Klingons around at once. The Klingons would be leading drinking songs in the bar - great fun! I will be sure to egt there a couple times before the end of 2008 (one of the perks of living in Southern California is easy access to ST:TE).

Speaking of memories, here's a shot of my wife and I at a Halloween party there one year, and I think everyone who's been will recognize the first picture!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...corebreach.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...t/Ferengi1.jpg

Biggshow May 5 2008 03:02 AM

Re: 'Star Trek: The Experience' To End?
 
Huh. I just got a very nice complimentary phone call from Chad Boutte at The Experience in response to an e-mail I sent. He, at least, appreciates everyone's efforts on keeping the place open.

Keep those cards and letters (and phone calls and e-mails) coming.

T'Grinch May 5 2008 06:18 AM

Re: 'Star Trek: The Experience' To End?
 
Quote:

Biggshow wrote: (Post 1603713)
Hey, T'Bonz, thanks for the story. A friend at The Experience pointed me in that direction and I added it to my thread in General Trek Discussion.

I really hope some agreement can be reached. For those of you who want contact info for all the parties invloved, check out the thread "Whither Star Trek: The Experience? Update".

Write letters. Make calls but be polite.

Link to Biggshow's thread is here.

I was privileged to get out to see "The Experience" once. I thoroughly enjoyed it and Quark's Bar was very well-done indeed.

I hadn't a clue though that the Warp Core Breach was meant for more than one person. I drank it all! :D

MattJC May 5 2008 06:39 AM

Re: 'Star Trek: The Experience' To End?
 
Quote:

T'Bonz wrote: (Post 1606070)
Quote:

Biggshow wrote: (Post 1603713)
Hey, T'Bonz, thanks for the story. A friend at The Experience pointed me in that direction and I added it to my thread in General Trek Discussion.

I really hope some agreement can be reached. For those of you who want contact info for all the parties invloved, check out the thread "Whither Star Trek: The Experience? Update".

Write letters. Make calls but be polite.

Link to Biggshow's thread is here.

I was privileged to get out to see "The Experience" once. I thoroughly enjoyed it and Quark's Bar was very well-done indeed.

I hadn't a clue though that the Warp Core Breach was meant for more than one person. I drank it all! :D

The 10 oz. one?
I don't think I could handle all by mself. I'll stick with miniature 5 oz. one version.

Pioneer May 5 2008 12:49 PM

Re: 'Star Trek: The Experience' To End?
 
Wow! Well done!

AntonyF May 5 2008 02:35 PM

Re: 'Star Trek: The Experience' To End?
 
Quote:

MattJC wrote: (Post 1606115)
I don't think I could handle all by mself. I'll stick with miniature 5 oz. one version.

I've had four of them. I met a guy who's part of a Klingon theatre group there one year... when meeting him a few years later, he said "You are the person who drunk four warp core breeches. You are a legend amongst my people!"

I have them every time I go to Vegas.

The staff are great, particularly the Klingon woman. God knows what she'd do in her next job, the skill isn't that transferable.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.