The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Meaney On 'Deep Space Nine' (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=52703)

TrekToday April 24 2008 02:34 AM

Meaney On 'Deep Space Nine'

<font color=yellow>Colm Meaney</font> was not a fan of science-fiction, but saw its appeal after his seven years on <i>Star Trek: Deep Space Nine</i>.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.rottentomatoes.com">Rotten Tomatoes</A>, Meaney is not disappointed in not being asked to work on <i>Star Trek XI</i>. "When we were doing the show [Deep Space Nine] and people asked would I like to do a movie, my position was always, 'If I do a feature, I'd rather not do it a space suit!' I spent seven years in a space suit and that was fine. I did the TV show, but it's funny, a lot of people who watch Star Trek know I do that, but they don't know I do movies too, and similarly people who go to the movies don't know I did Star Trek. It's like I'm these two different actors in two different careers, and that's great, I love that. I think if you start stepping into the feature world in Star Trek you become known to a wider audience as that and it becomes limiting."<p>Meaney did not regret his time on <i>Deep Space Nine</i> though. "We had a great time doing the show. Don't get me wrong, we had a great crew and a great cast. And the writing on that show was very good. We did twenty-six episodes a year for seven years and there were maybe three or four duds in a year, which wasn't bad. We got on very well. So it was a lot of fun and we all enjoyed it, but after seven years it was a perfect time to quit, walk away and do other things."<p>Prior to doing <i>Deep Space Nine</i>, Meaney was neither a <i>Star Trek</i> nor a science-fiction fan. "Science fiction would not have been my favorite genre," he said. "I never really developed an interest in it. But doing the series was interesting because I realized that science fiction can be used to really comment on today in a very direct way. We were doing shows about genetic engineering, you know, and there was even a great two-part episode about homelessness, I remember, which was set in about 2040. It was really a social commentary where in the not-too-distant future we could develop a permanent under-class who are segregated from society. In contemporary television you couldn't do that, so I realized the value of science fiction as a genre by doing the show."<p>Working with <font color=yellow>Rick Berman</font> was a good experience, as Berman was sensitive to Meaney's needs. "Well I was very lucky to have a great exec producer in Rick Berman," explained Meaney. "In fact, one of my worries when they offered me Deep Space Nine was that I'd be going to a full-time role after having just recurred in The Next Generation. I...was a series regular on DS9. Rick sat me down one day and said, 'I promise you, I'll always let you out to do a feature you really want to do.' And over the course of the seven years he did. There were a couple of things he said no to, but they were things I wasn't particularly desperate to do anyway. The important ones I did get to do. They'd write me out of two or three episodes, or have me shoot the last day of one episode and the first day of the next episode. I could do a couple of days in LA and get back to wherever I was shooting movies."<p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/three_and_out/news/1723592/">here</A>.<center></center>

M April 24 2008 02:38 AM

Re: Meaney On 'Deep Space Nine'

Gotta love this down-to-earth guy! Looking forward to see him on television again. :bolian:

Augustus April 24 2008 05:20 AM

Meaney was always one of my favorites. Seems like one of the actors you could just sit down and watch the game with...real chill

donners22 April 24 2008 10:37 AM

The only things I've seen him in outside Trek are Con Air and The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns...

FrontLine April 24 2008 03:42 PM

Check him out in the 'Commitments'. Not a starring role but still a good one.

Harvey April 24 2008 04:25 PM

You also might consider him in more substantial roles in "Layer Cake" (opposite Daniel Craig) and "Intermission" (opposite Colin Farrell).

Pioneer April 24 2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

donners22 wrote: (Post 1568259)
The only things I've seen him in outside Trek are Con Air and The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns...

Quote:

FrontLine wrote: (Post 1568807)
Check him out in the 'Commitments'. Not a starring role but still a good one.

Quote:

Hirogen Alpha wrote: (Post 1568954)
You also might consider him in more substantial roles in "Layer Cake" (opposite Daniel Craig) and "Intermission" (opposite Colin Farrell).

In addition to The Commitments he was in two other Roddy Doyle films: The Snapper, and The Van where he had larger roles. He also played a bad guy in the Steven Segal movie Under Siege. Of course, there's always the trusty IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000538/

Temis the Vorta April 24 2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

It was really a social commentary where in the not-too-distant future we could develop a permanent under-class who are segregated from society. In contemporary television you couldn't do that, so I realized the value of science fiction as a genre by doing the show."
I guess he's never heard of The Wire. :wtf: It's not at all "impossible" to address the types of issues DS9 did on TV in a non sci-fi setting.

PKTrekGirl April 24 2008 09:23 PM

Colm Meaney is a class act. And this article is just further evidence of that.

What a great guy!

SJSharksfan39 April 24 2008 10:55 PM

Interesting the different opinions on Rick Berman. On one side, you have Garrett Wang who completely bashed Berman in an interview, and this is also going with the fact that Wang isn't as well known. Then you have Meaney say nice things about the guy. I've always like Meaney on Star Trek and I really like it when the cast of this show in general (DS9) come out and talk about their experiences. With all the chat of Shatner or Stewart, it's really a breath of fresh air, when there is a story on Meaney or even Brooks.

Servo April 24 2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Temis the Vorta wrote: (Post 1569446)
Quote:

It was really a social commentary where in the not-too-distant future we could develop a permanent under-class who are segregated from society. In contemporary television you couldn't do that, so I realized the value of science fiction as a genre by doing the show."
I guess he's never heard of The Wire. :wtf: It's not at all "impossible" to address the types of issues DS9 did on TV in a non sci-fi setting.

Good job he didn't actually use the word "impossible" then, isn't it? And I'm pretty sure he was talking about TV in the early-to-mid 90's (which is when DS9 started and the episodes he's referring to aired), rather that the early 2000's, which is when The Wire started.

Aragorn April 25 2008 03:49 AM

So what would Meaney say if he had been on Voyager?

"We did twenty-six episodes a year for seven years and there were maybe three or four good episodes in a year, which is more than I can say for Smallville." :lol: