The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   'Star Trek XI' Different Than Any Other 'Star Trek' (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=52240)

TrekToday April 19 2008 09:27 PM

'Star Trek XI' Different Than Any Other 'Star Trek'

<font color=yellow>J.J. Abrams</font> is making a unique <i>Star Trek</i> film, but is aware of <i>Star Trek's</i> vocal fans.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.dailynews.com">Los Angeles Daily News</A>, Abrams, who admits to having been more of a <i>Star Wars</i> fan than a <i>Star Trek</i> fan, is adding action to <i>Star Trek</i>. "The movie we're making won't feel like any other 'Star Trek' you've ever seen," he said. "There hadn't been this kind of action in a 'Star Trek' movie before."<p>But he hastened to add that <i>Star Trek XI</i> won't deviate from what <font color=yellow>Gene Roddenberry</font> had envisioned for <i>Star Trek</i>. "[Star Trek XI] is being true to the vision of our abilities and of what Roddenberry started," said Abrams. "So it's this very interesting hybrid of honoring its origins and also being something completely brand new."<p>Abrams wants to make a good movie with appeal to all, including the existing <i>Star Trek</i> fans. "As a director, my sole mission was to make a movie that was entertaining and emotional and funny and scary and all of the things that I know I want to see when I go to see a movie," he explained. "It's a huge adventure. But because we've done a lot of work leading up to it, it was already honoring 'Trek' for those very vocal fans." <p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_8978635">here</A>.<center></center>

Augustus April 19 2008 10:17 PM

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Different Than Any Other 'Star Trek'

I just want to see the movie already

T J April 20 2008 12:11 AM

If you are a NuGalactica fan then you have earned your stripes and can wait the year+. Won't be fun but it will happen.:vulcan:

OmahaStar April 20 2008 01:01 AM

It's great that there is new Trek to be seen on the horizon, but frankly, I'm getting a bit sick of all the stories on something we're not even going to see for over a year.

I'm just about ready to puke every time I see one of those "praise Abrams, he's the greatest ever!" threads. Instead of coming up with yet another "praise Abrams" threads, I say just link it on an existing one.

When there's real news, let me know. Til then, what's the point?

Pioneer April 20 2008 01:39 AM

"...adding action to Star Trek..." Oh, joy. Star Trek was never about action.
And hasn't this all been said before? I want spoilers, man, SPOILERS.

Procutus April 20 2008 01:55 AM

Quote:

Pioneer wrote: (Post 1552818)

I want spoilers, man, SPOILERS.

So do I, but I don't think we're going to get them for a long while.

Dane_Whitman April 20 2008 02:22 AM

Quote:

Oh come on! There's nothing wrong with action, numerous sources have stated that they 'got the Star Trek phormula' right on this one. You can have an action-packed film and include everything that Star Trek stands for.

Like TOS is not packed with brawling and fisticuffs...

WeAreTheBorg April 20 2008 02:31 AM

Quote:

Dane_Whitman wrote: (Post 1552892)
Quote:

Oh come on! There's nothing wrong with action, numerous sources have stated that they 'got the Star Trek phormula' right on this one. You can have an action-packed film and include everything that Star Trek stands for.

Like TOS is not packed with brawling and fisticuffs...

I do believe that was sarcasm

As in... everyone knows there will be action, he wants spoilers (why he wants spoilers is beyond me, but there you have it)

Admiral Buzzkill April 20 2008 02:32 AM

Nah, fighting Gorns and Doomsday Machines and stuff like that wasn't about action.

Captain Euphoria April 20 2008 02:54 AM

As a big fan of Trek first and Star Wars second, I have to say I'm at best intruiged by the melding of the two but at worst afraid this is going to ruin what I love about Star Trek. Let's just say I'm pessimistic that we needed to go back to the teen years of the original cast. I wish instead Paramount would have found a way to do what Stargate SG-1 is doing now with the direct to DVD movies. Maybe they still will. Anyone up for a Titan or Challenger movie?

Captain Fine April 20 2008 04:03 AM

Sign me up for the adventures of Captain Geordi La Forge of the USS Challenger!

nx1701g April 20 2008 04:41 AM

Eh I'm getting more burned out by what he's saying than excited.

ancient April 20 2008 04:48 AM

Hopefully he can get Lucas to direct the sequel.

Then we can watch the internet explode.

Procutus April 20 2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

nx1701g wrote: (Post 1553208)
Eh I'm getting more burned out by what he's saying than excited.

I think that I would be a bit more excited if J.J. just released some real tidbit, be it a cast photo on the bridge, a hint of how the movie actually starts, or even mentioning what planets we might expect to see (other than Earth, of course).

OTOH, perhaps the reason for everyone being so tight-lipped is because they really do intend to have a revised teaser attached to Indiana Jones; if that were the case, I could then understand the secrecy.

But if there ISN'T going to be a new trailer of any sort until next year, then I think somewhere along the line, Paramount should let a few photos out, just to really keep the interest going. I know they want it all to be a big surprise, but a photo or two here and there isn't going to ruin the whole movie.

IMO, anyway.

Okay, I'll get off my soap-box now.

:devil:

ChristopherPike April 20 2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

T J wrote: (Post 1552628)
If you are a NuGalactica fan then you have earned your stripes and can wait the year+. Won't be fun but it will happen.:vulcan:

What if you're not a Nu BSG fan?