The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   'Star Trek XI' To Go to Post-Production (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=51321)

TrekToday April 11 2008 03:44 AM

'Star Trek XI' To Go to Post-Production

A local traffic accident revealed the presence of 'Star Trek XI' filming in the Bakersfield, California area. <p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.redorbit.com">RedOrbit.com</A>, local television coverage of a traffic accident let the cat out of the bag, leading to frustration for Kern County Board of Trade executive <font color=yellow>Rick Davis</font>. "They need to work quietly and confidentially so they can get their work done," he said, "so next year, we can enjoy a great movie and know portions of Kern County were included in that. That's what the office stands so proudly behind."<p>Kern County is standing in for James T. Kirk's birthplace of Iowa, according to a Paramount representative. "Iowa usually looks pretty green, so that's what we were looking for," she explained of the choice to film in Kern County.<p>This is not your father's 'Star Trek,'" the rep said about <i>Star Trek XI</i>. "It's a whole new cast, a whole new group, completely different from anything people have seen before and hopefully the old fans will like it as well as garnering new ones."<p>Shooting began on Monday and recent filming took place on a part of the property away from the road. According to the representative, none of the lead actors were out on the property, and there was no real action in this scene, just moving shots. Filming is due to be finished at the end of the week and the movie will then go into post-production.<p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.redorbit.com/news/scifi-gaming/1335419/star_trek_movie_filming_near_taft/">here</A>.<center></center>

MattJC April 11 2008 05:17 AM

Re: 'Star Trek XI' To Go to Post-Production

If this movie was different, then they wouldn't be using the Star Trek name or any of the familiar characters.
They're just trying to cash in on someone else's work.

number6 April 11 2008 06:11 AM

Get over it already, will ya??:rolleyes:

Jack Bauer April 11 2008 07:29 AM

Quote:

number6 wrote: (Post 1522643)
Get over it already, will ya??:rolleyes:

I think there's a bigger chance that hell will freeze over then that happening.

Pioneer April 11 2008 07:46 AM

"completely different from anything people have seen before"

Well, there goes canon. :p

Broccoli April 11 2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

TrekToday wrote: (Post 1522212)
This is not your father's 'Star Trek,'" the rep said about <i>Star Trek XI</i>.

How long until angry anti-Enterprise fanboys jump on this? :p

number6 April 11 2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Broccoli wrote: (Post 1523221)
Quote:

They're already all over this, if the bitching in TOS and Trek XI forums is any indication.

To them Abrams=B&B

Tom Servo April 11 2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

MattJC wrote: (Post 1522535)
If this movie was different, then they wouldn't be using the Star Trek name or any of the familiar characters.

Jesus Christ:rolleyes

But woohoo, post production...the fun part of film making.

Count Darcula70 April 11 2008 08:19 PM

Quote:

MattJC wrote: (Post 1522535)

Paramount has been cashing in on someone elses work since the 70's. They are entitled. Roddenberry chose to sell off any rights to the characters. You really should get over the fact the early years of Kirk and Company are being chronicled. The current cast will be maybe 3 movies at most and Star Trek will either die or move back into "present day" stories.

Admiral Buzzkill April 11 2008 08:46 PM

If this movie is a success they'll stay with Kirk and company until they stop making money off of them.

Recast once, you can recast twice.

Abrams and his people are doing all the work. They're "cashing in" on someone else's trademarks.

ancient April 11 2008 09:24 PM

What? Paramount is writing more stories using a huge established brand name? No way!

I, as a fan and EXPERT on Trek did not give them permission to do this! I cry 'fowl' on behalf of fandom and lame-ducks everywhere! Sign my petition, if I write one!

Count Darcula70 April 12 2008 02:47 AM

Quote:

Starship Polaris wrote: (Post 1524765)
If this movie is a success they'll stay with Kirk and company until they stop making money off of them.

Recast once, you can recast twice.

Abrams and his people are doing all the work. They're "cashing in" on someone else's trademarks.

They are working for Paramount who owns the trademarks. If this were the original cast would you be saying the same thing?

StarMan April 14 2008 04:49 AM

Quote:

Broccoli wrote: (Post 1523221)
Quote:

I wouldn't classify myself in such a harsh manner...

But the quote DID stick out. :lol: