The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Pegg Is A Self-Described Sci-Fi Geek (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=48785)

TrekToday March 16 2008 12:33 AM

Pegg Is A Self-Described Sci-Fi Geek

<font color=yellow>Simon Pegg</font> considers himself fortunate to be working on a show of which he is a fan and looks forward to doing it again every three years. <p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://trekmovie.com/">TrekMovie.com</A>, from an interview posted by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.collider.com">Collider.com</A>, a fateful email lead to his role as Scotty in <i>Star Trek XI</i>. "I got back from New York and switched on my phone to find an email from J.J.," said Pegg. "It read, simply, 'Do you want to play Scotty?' I didn't say yes straight away. I called J.J. and said, 'this is a huge commitment. I don't know if I should.' J.J. simply said, if the worst thing that happens is we get together every three years and have a great time, what's to worry about. I was convinced after that."<p>Pegg is sensitive to the fact that his character Scotty was done first by <font color=yellow>James Doohan</font>. "I'm very aware that the character of Scotty belongs to James Doohan," he said. "The man is a legend and it will always be his. Anything I do is a tribute to him." He met with <font color=yellow>Chris Doohan</font>, son of James. "I actually got to meet his son Chris, which was a real treat," said Pegg. "He told me a few stories from the old days, not least actually being on set when they were shooting 'The Trouble With Tribbles'. He gave me a little bit of dilithium crystal from the show. I felt honored."<p>Being a fan of <i>Star Trek</i> means that Pegg has his favorite <i>Star Trek</i> series. "I would say the original [series] because it's the original," he explained when asked to rank the shows in order of preference. "[Then] TNG because it reignited the franchise, Voyager because of Seven of Nine, Deep Space Nine because of that fantastic throwback episode, the cartoon [The Animated Series] because I remember it vaguely, and lastly, Enterprise because I never saw it." Pegg went on to give "an honorable mention...to Star Trek: New Voyages which can be found on the 'net which has to be one of the most amazing examples of fan based dedication out there."<p>His favorite Captain was (not surprisingly) James T. Kirk. "I would say Shatner's Kirk is my favorite Captain because he created such a brilliantly charismatic character."<p>To read more of the interview, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.collider.com/entertainment/interviews/article.asp/aid/7226/tcid/1/pg/2">here</A>.<center></center>

Jack Bauer March 16 2008 03:34 AM

Re: Pegg Is A Self-Described Sci-Fi Geek

:cool: :cool: :cool:

GEEKS UNITE!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SJSharksfan39 March 16 2008 06:31 AM

I don't know, but for a geek I would have expected a bit more substance when he ranked the series. Yeah it's a tad bit picky but still.

MadBaggins March 16 2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

TrekToday wrote: (Post 1439782)
<font color=yellow>Simon Pegg</font> considers himself fortunate to be working on a show of which he is a fan and looks forward to doing it again every three years. <p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://trekmovie.com/">TrekMovie.com</A>, from an interview posted by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.collider.com">Collider.com</A>, a fateful email lead to his role as Scotty in <i>Star Trek XI</i>. "I got back from New York and switched on my phone to find an email from J.J.," said Pegg. "It read, simply, 'Do you want to play Scotty?' I didn't say yes straight away. I called J.J. and said, 'this is a huge commitment. I don't know if I should.' J.J. simply said, if the worst thing that happens is we get together every three years and have a great time, what's to worry about. I was convinced after that."<p>Pegg is sensitive to the fact that his character Scotty was done first by <font color=yellow>James Doohan</font>. "I'm very aware that the character of Scotty belongs to James Doohan," he said. "The man is a legend and it will always be his. Anything I do is a tribute to him." He met with <font color=yellow>Chris Doohan</font>, son of James. "I actually got to meet his son Chris, which was a real treat," said Pegg. "He told me a few stories from the old days, not least actually being on set when they were shooting 'The Trouble With Tribbles'. He gave me a little bit of dilithium crystal from the show. I felt honored."<p>Being a fan of <i>Star Trek</i> means that Pegg has his favorite <i>Star Trek</i> series. "I would say the original [series] because it's the original," he explained when asked to rank the shows in order of preference. "[Then] TNG because it reignited the franchise, Voyager because of Seven of Nine, Deep Space Nine because of that fantastic throwback episode, the cartoon [The Animated Series] because I remember it vaguely, and lastly, Enterprise because I never saw it." Pegg went on to give "an honorable mention...to Star Trek: New Voyages which can be found on the 'net which has to be one of the most amazing examples of fan based dedication out there."<p>His favorite Captain was (not surprisingly) James T. Kirk. "I would say Shatner's Kirk is my favorite Captain because he created such a brilliantly charismatic character."<p>To read more of the interview, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.collider.com/entertainment/interviews/article.asp/aid/7226/tcid/1/pg/2">here</A>.<center></center>

Voyager above DS9. I'm going to burn my Hot Fuzz DVD.

Mutenroshi March 16 2008 06:09 PM

You do realize there are people of feel that DS9 is not "Star Trek"?

Kegek March 16 2008 07:24 PM

Hey, the fact he even knows about the animated series (and New Voyages) make him geekier than your average person, even if he's way below the level of geekiness of your average TrekBBS poster. His observations are pretty interesting, especially proving that to the quasi-casual viewer Seven of Nine did get name recognition. She's the only character from any show he mentions. It also confirms that DS9 is often best known for "Trials and Tribble-ations", at least out there. Where I am, DS9 is best known as the one with Colm Meaney (and is still pretty popular), but that's perspective. :cool:

Captain Robert April March 16 2008 09:42 PM

This was the one aspect of Pegg's casting that I was not in the least bit concerned, since just from watching "Shaun of the Dead" I could tell he was "one of us."

It was trying to figure out why he got the pick over Paul McGillion that has me flummoxed.

Pensive March 16 2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Captain Robert April wrote: (Post 1441523)
It was trying to figure out why he got the pick over Paul McGillion that has me flummoxed.

Same here.:scream:

ITL March 16 2008 10:47 PM

I, however, was unflummoxed.

:D

ChristopherPike March 16 2008 11:03 PM

As expected he's never seen ENT and so get's everyone's vote because of it.

Pioneer March 17 2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Pensive wrote: (Post 1441592)
Quote:

Captain Robert April wrote: (Post 1441523)

Same here.:scream:

Ditto. Paul McGillion wouldn't have needed to be "convinced" to play Scotty.

Quote:

ChristopherPike wrote: (Post 1441692)
As expected he's never seen ENT and so get's everyone's vote because of it.

As expected? Anyone who hasn't seen all of Star Trek, including Enterprise, isn't a Star Trek fan. End of story.
That's right. Simon Pegg isn't a geek, he's just pandering to the geeks. He's a fake geek. He's a feek™!

SJSharksfan39 March 17 2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Pioneer wrote: (Post 1442956)

As expected? Anyone who hasn't seen all of Star Trek, including Enterprise, isn't a Star Trek fan. End of story.
That's right. Simon Pegg isn't a geek, he's just pandering to the geeks. He's a fake geek. He's a feek™!

So even though I've been following Star Trek since I was four, I've never seen the animated series so that doesn't make me a Trek fan. Who knew? :(

Pioneer March 17 2008 08:34 PM

Quote:

tomalak301 wrote: (Post 1443678)
Quote:

Pioneer wrote: (Post 1442956)

So even though I've been following Star Trek since I was four, I've never seen the animated series so that doesn't make me a Trek fan. Who knew? :(

I did. And now, so do you. :p

The Animated Series is available at stores or via NetFlix. They're actually pretty good.
So go get caught up, pseudo-fan (Psan™).:rommie: