The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=48713)

TrekToday March 15 2008 12:49 AM

Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI
 
Taking on a <i>Star Trek XI</i> role was on account of <font color=yellow>J.J. Abrams</font>, not from being a fan of <i>Star Trek</i>.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.blackfilm.com/20080307/features/startreknews.shtml">Blackfilm.com</A>, <font color=yellow>Tyler Perry</font> explained why he agreed to work in <i>Star Trek XI</i>. "J.J called and said, 'I'm a fan and would love for you to do my movie' and I said, 'Great! I'll call you back.' I called my agent and was like, 'Who is this guy?' and he said I need to look at his stuff. I was so impressed with what he does because it parallels a lot of my own stuff."<p>Unlike some of the <i>Star Trek XI</i> actors, Perry is not a <i>Star Trek</i> fan. He decided to take part in <i>Star Trek XI</i> solely because of <font color=yellow>J.J. Abrams</font>. "...it was J.J Abrams," said Perry. "He talked me into it and it's a good thing I didn't see the last Star Trek movie or I would have said no.<p>Perry will apparently be playing the head of Starfleet Academy. His human character will supposedly oversee a Starfleet courtroom event where young Kirk is facing expulsion from Starfleet. Perry could not give details, bound by the confidential agreement he signed. "All I can tell you is that I love J.J Abrams," said Perry. "He is the absolute reason I did it. He and I have a lot of things in common. He's got television and film and I was watching him direct, and people coming to him and asking him things and it was eerie because it was so much like my own life and my own situation. The only difference is that he has a wife and two kids and I don't know how he does it with the family."<p>To read the article, head to the link located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.blackfilm.com/20080307/features/startreknews.shtml">here</A>.<center></center>

Kirby March 15 2008 02:11 AM

Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI
 
Quote:

TrekToday wrote: (Post 1437395)
I was so impressed with what he does because it parallels a lot of my own stuff."

Lots of parallels... my favorites are J.J. Abram's Lost and J.J. Abram's Cloverfield

ancient March 15 2008 03:27 AM

Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI
 
I don't see familiarity as a requirement for this kind of role.

ancient March 15 2008 03:28 AM

Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI
 
Meaning, a new character. (where hath the edit button gone?!)

Turbo March 15 2008 03:42 AM

Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI
 
The edit button was disabled in here for some technical reason or another.

Quote:

His human character will supposedly oversee a Starfleet courtroom event where young Kirk is facing expulsion from Starfleet.
Expulsion? *sigh* As much as I love the Nick Meyer movies, they gave Kirk this stupid hothead cadet image, when TOS implied just this opposite.

IndyJones March 15 2008 04:11 AM

Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI
 
All I want to know is if Perry will be playing a man or an eldery black woman with attitude...

C.E. Evans March 15 2008 10:35 AM

Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI
 
Quote:

Turbo wrote: (Post 1437872)
The edit button was disabled in here for some technical reason or another.

Quote:

His human character will supposedly oversee a Starfleet courtroom event where young Kirk is facing expulsion from Starfleet.
Expulsion? *sigh* As much as I love the Nick Meyer movies, they gave Kirk this stupid hothead cadet image, when TOS implied just this opposite.

Blame hanging around Gary Mitchell too long for that.
:thumbsup:

Timofnine March 15 2008 04:05 PM

Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI
 
Quote:

TrekToday wrote: (Post 1437395)
.......and it's a good thing I didn't see the last Star Trek movie or I would have said no

:guffaw:

Shame I've never heard of this Tyler Perry. Must be an American thing.

Broccoli March 15 2008 04:57 PM

Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI
 
Quote:

Turbo wrote: (Post 1437872)
The edit button was disabled in here for some technical reason or another.

Quote:

His human character will supposedly oversee a Starfleet courtroom event where young Kirk is facing expulsion from Starfleet.
Expulsion? *sigh* As much as I love the Nick Meyer movies, they gave Kirk this stupid hothead cadet image, when TOS implied just this opposite.

I disagree. There was one throw-away line that said that Kirk was a "stack of books with legs." Perhaps the expulsion was the reason on why he became like that. Also, it just takes one incident to face exclusion.

DorkBoy [TM] March 15 2008 09:21 PM

Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI
 
You know, Wesley Crusher was a walking stack of books with legs.

And he was nearly expelled too. :)

It's always the quiet ones...

Basil March 16 2008 12:15 AM

Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI
 
Quote:

Broccoli wrote: (Post 1438722)
Quote:

Turbo wrote: (Post 1437872)
The edit button was disabled in here for some technical reason or another.

Quote:

His human character will supposedly oversee a Starfleet courtroom event where young Kirk is facing expulsion from Starfleet.
Expulsion? *sigh* As much as I love the Nick Meyer movies, they gave Kirk this stupid hothead cadet image, when TOS implied just this opposite.

I disagree. There was one throw-away line that said that Kirk was a "stack of books with legs." .

Actually, considerably more -- his admission (to Bones if memory serves) that he was positively grim as a cadet, his interplay with Finnegan, a trickster who constantly picked on him for it, Mitchell's whole "think or sink" comment about Kirk's class and how he pushed a lab assistant toward Kirk to get him to loosen up, etc. Combine that with his quieter, more thoughtful characterization in the first season, and it adds up to Kirk being quite studious and "by the book" in his earlier years. Even Meyer's issue with Kirk "cheating" didn't necessarily suggest he was a cocky hothead with a flaming libido -- that was more the half-assed retconning of the character in a so-so novel (Enterprise, perhaps?) to fit an individual author's imagining. And even if "stack of books with legs" was the only line, it's hardly "throwaway" if it sums up who he was as a character.

Temis the Vorta March 16 2008 01:38 AM

Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI
 
Quote:

Timofnine wrote: (Post 1438657)
Quote:

TrekToday wrote: (Post 1437395)
.......and it's a good thing I didn't see the last Star Trek movie or I would have said no

:guffaw:

Shame I've never heard of this Tyler Perry. Must be an American thing.

Lets just say he makes the kind of movies that give him no call to be huffy about Trek, even at its worst. ;)

IndyJones March 17 2008 06:29 AM

Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI
 
Quote:

Temis the Vorta wrote: (Post 1439879)
Quote:

Timofnine wrote: (Post 1438657)
Quote:

TrekToday wrote: (Post 1437395)
.......and it's a good thing I didn't see the last Star Trek movie or I would have said no

:guffaw:

Shame I've never heard of this Tyler Perry. Must be an American thing.

Lets just say he makes the kind of movies that give him no call to be huffy about Trek, even at its worst. ;)


Well said, Temis. :guffaw:

Pioneer March 17 2008 12:59 PM

Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI
 
Quote:

Timofnine wrote: (Post 1438657)
Quote:

TrekToday wrote: (Post 1437395)
.......and it's a good thing I didn't see the last Star Trek movie or I would have said no

:guffaw:

Shame I've never heard of this Tyler Perry. Must be an American thing.

I'm an American and I've never heard of him either. So I looked him up on IMDB and I didn't recognize him nor any of his work. And yes, it helps to be a fan if you're going to be an actor in a Star Trek movie. I would say it's essential.

Aragorn March 18 2008 08:36 AM

Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI
 
You know, the parallels to Madea's Family Reunion and Mission: Impossible III are startling. And Daddy's Little Girls is totally a big screen take on Lost.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.