The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   'Star Trek' Politician Fans (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=48141)

TrekToday March 9 2008 10:23 PM

'Star Trek' Politician Fans

<font color=yellow>Barack Obama</font> is only the most recent politician to admit that he is a fan of <i>Star Trek</i>.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://weblogs.chicagotribune.com/">Chicago Tribune</A>, The admission came while Obama talked about the space program and NASA at a campaign stop in Wyoming. "I grew up on Star Trek," he said. "I believe in the final frontier." He went on to lament the fact that "NASA has lost focus and is no longer associated with inspiration." <p>Obama is not the first politician who is also a <i>Star Trek</i> fan. <font color=yellow>Al Gore</font>, former Vice President of the United States, is an admitted fan. <font color=yellow>Lewis "Scooter" Libby</font>, former Chief of Staff to Vice President <font color=yellow>Dick Cheney</font>, is an original series fan who can name all seventy-nine episodes. Other American politicians who are <i>Star Trek</i> fans are: <font color=yellow>Alan Keyes</font> (Deep Space Nine fan) and <font color=yellow>David Wu</font> (Democrat from the House of Representatives from Oregon) who once made a speech on the House floor referring to people in the White House as Klingons. <font color=yellow>George Bush Sr.</font> is supposedly to be a <i>Star Trek</i> fan.<p>Love of <i>Star Trek</i> is not confined to American politicians. <font color=yellow>Stephen Harper</font>, Canadian Prime Minister is a fan of the original series. Finnish Parliament member <font color=yellow>Jyrki Kasvi</font> is a fan who is partial to the Klingons.<p>Political royalty can also be counted as <i>Star Trek</i> fans. King Abdullah II bin Al Hussein, who rules Jordan, is such a fan that before he became King and was still a Prince, he once appeared in <i>Star Trek Voyager: Investigations</i>.<p>To read more, head to the links located <A class="link" HREF="http://weblogs.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/blog/2008/03/obama_a_little_confused_of_w_s.html">here</A> and<A class="link" HREF="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trekkie">here</A>.<center></center>

Danoz March 9 2008 11:29 PM

Re: 'Star Trek' Politician Fans

Now I know my vote for Obama was well placed :).

ArthurKing March 10 2008 12:16 AM

FYI

This may be true - Obama may be a fan of the series - but he certainly isn't a fan of what it represents for practical purposes.

A clear plank of his campaign is to retard the development of Project Orion (which, imho, needs to be sped up), divert funds from the space program to support various non-space / non-science programs, and reshift NASA priorities toward more earth-observation and robotic exploration and less human-exploration, pure science, and beyond earth observation.

This is actually a huge detractor for me on Obama. Yes, I know, candidates' space policy isn't likely to be a huge 'cocktail party' conversation item, but, to me (and I think a lot of other futurists, including many who are trek fans) this is a significant problem with Obama. Particularly because, unlike so many other things that presidential candidates pontificate on despite the EXTREMELY attenuated connection between what they say they'll do and what they actually can do (e.g. abortion, education, etc.) on space-program funding and research, the President's positions matter a lot.

You can guess: I'm not voting for Obama.

Temis the Vorta March 10 2008 12:17 AM

I knew before I even opened this thread that Obamaman would be a Trekkie. :D

PS, George W. Bush is a Bablyoniac. Nyah! :p

cardinal biggles March 10 2008 05:24 PM

Little known fact: former Rep. Mark Foley (R-Fl), the guy who was forced to resign because he was writing sexually explicit e-mails to teenaged Congressional pages, was one of the few (if not only) members of Congress to sign a Washington lobbyist's petition for Paramount to give Enterprise a fifth season. :thumbsup:

With friends like these...

ancient March 11 2008 02:57 AM

Trek fans know no political boundries, yet more proof that we're all more alike than we want to be.

Pensive March 11 2008 03:50 AM

Quote:

cardinal biggles wrote: (Post 1422724)
Little known fact: former Rep. Mark Foley (R-Fl), the guy who was forced to resign because he was writing sexually explicit e-mails to teenaged Congressional pages, was one of the few (if not only) members of Congress to sign a Washington lobbyist's petition for Paramount to give Enterprise a fifth season. :thumbsup:

So the guy was a perv that got caught. At least he had good taste in tv :bolian:

Jack Bauer March 11 2008 05:46 AM

Quote:

That causes me to wonder what is Govenor Spitzer's opnion of Star Trek is.

Flux Capacitor March 11 2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

TrekToday wrote: (Post 1420787)
<font color=yellow>George Bush Sr.</font> is supposedly to be a <i>Star Trek</i> fan.

Ugh. It's George H.W. Bush, not George Bush Sr. :rolleyes:

ancient March 15 2008 03:25 AM

I fail to see any real conflict there. Both seem equally correct.

Temis the Vorta March 16 2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Jack Bauer wrote: (Post 1424956)
Quote:

That causes me to wonder what is Govenor Spitzer's opnion of Star Trek is.

He prefers Firefly. ;)