The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   'Star Trek XI' Teaser: Nimoy and Enterprise (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=42776)

TrekToday January 16 2008 05:25 AM

'Star Trek XI' Teaser: Nimoy and Enterprise

Sources online have given a detailed description of the forthcoming Star Trek XI teaser.

As reported at HollywoodChicago.com, a written report of the contents of the teaser for Star Trek XI has been posted and the star of the teaser is a ship under construction.

There is an old NASA radio countdown and a closeup of a worker sporting goggles and welding something, while working on a saucer section of a ship. A Kennedy speech claims that, "The eyes of the world now look to space." More shots of welders are shown and we hear that "The Eagle has landed."

Then there are more shots of the ship and it becomes obvious that this ship is being built on Earth, not in space. <font color=yellow>Leonard Nimoy's</font> voice is heard, saying "Space, the final frontier." More of the ship is seen and it's obvious that this is the USS Enterprise being built. The teaser closes with the title card: "Under Construction".

To read the article, head to the link located here.<center></center>

Destructor January 16 2008 05:38 AM

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Teaser: Nimoy and Enterprise

Uhm ... anyone get the feeling this movie is going to de-canonize 'Enterprise', the series?

number6 January 16 2008 05:56 AM

No.

Dane_Whitman January 16 2008 06:03 AM

No.

Tyson January 16 2008 06:44 AM

Quote:

Destructor said:
Uhm ... anyone get the feeling this movie is going to de-canonize 'Enterprise', the series?

I doubt they care or know enough about the other series to even consider decanonizing something. They're just going to do whatever they think is "kewl."

Jack Bauer January 16 2008 07:08 AM

Quote:

Destructor said:

No. I'm pretty sure once of the writers, probably Orci, said that there'd be references to all 5 series in the movie.

Samuel T. Cogley January 16 2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Destructor said:

I already did that a long time ago. But if they want to make it official, I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

biotech January 16 2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

Destructor said:

How do you even get that from the trailer description?

Trailer sounds excellent, I just hope it makes it into the film.

Charlie Kelly January 16 2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Then there are more shots of the ship and it becomes obvious that this ship is being built on Earth, not in space.

The ship is being built on Earth? Huh??

I'm glad we'll finally get to see the 'new' Enterprise but I'm a bit worried about this glaring inconsistency with previous Trek. But maybe there's a credible explanation that will make it fit.

Charlie

The Laughing Vulcan January 16 2008 01:51 PM

In one of the novels, Flag Full Of Stars, the refit that occurred between TOS and TMP had the Enterprise saucer landed on Earth for its upgrade.

Actually, where is it canon that the original Enterprise was completely constructed in space?

votd January 16 2008 01:52 PM

Cant remember the name and I know its not canon; but one of the books set between the end of the 5 year mission and the motion picture has the enterprise saucer being refit on Earth then launched into space and reconnected to the rest of the ship.

votd January 16 2008 01:57 PM

^ Bizarre must have posted at the same time!

billcosby January 16 2008 02:53 PM

I like teasers that show an inkling of the story. Some of the characters.
If the teaser consists only of close up shots of the ship being constructed, that's a little disappointing.
No. That's a lot disappointing.
I guess we'll have to wait until November for a proper glimpse at the look&feel of New Trek then?

C.E. Evans January 16 2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

The Laughing Vulcan said:
Actually, where is it canon that the original Enterprise was completely constructed in space?

It's not. The Enterprise's dedication plaque lists San Francisco, California as its construction site. The Enterprise could have been built planetside and launched into space like a rocket, I guess...

But from an engineering perspective, the Constitution-class looks like something that was built in zero or micro gravity. Even if built piece-by-piece, it would seem to be more efficient to build the major components (the saucer, the secondary hull, the nacelles) in orbit rather than lug them all into space and then assemble them there. That approach seems just so 20th-Century, you know?

T'Cal January 16 2008 04:06 PM

It's amazing how much people read into a teaser. If this description is in fact acurate, I'd be very happy with it. But the function of a teaser, by even the general definition of the word, is to provide only enough information that it will generate interest in this film. Many of the scenes in previous Trek trailers never made it to the final cut. I'm glad that this film is creating so much discussion, although so much of it here is conjecture and rumor. I enjoy it most of the time but grow weary of the constantly negative remarks that have no basis in fact. But I'll return and sift through the nonsense as I have always done.