The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   "Darmok" vs "Trials and Tribble-ations" better Trek tribute? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=37131)

patlandness October 30 2007 01:52 AM

"Darmok" vs "Trials and Tribble-ations" better Trek tribute?

Yes, I know, I did something similar to this earlier this year, but I wanted to refine this a little to be more fair. Both of these episodes are EXCELLENT Four Star out of Four Star episodes, and yet are spectacularly different in as a Trek tribute. One's a drama; one's a comedy. One's about the Trekkian philosophy; the other's a loving nostalgia-fest.

And I think comparing these two episodes *really* shows where the Trek franchise's future is going (of course I could be wrong).

(Note: Let's try not to make this a TNG vs DS9 pissing contest).

Brutal Strudel October 30 2007 01:54 AM

Re: "Darmok" vs "Trials and Tribble-ations" better Trek tribute?

I always thought "Darmok" was overrated. "T&T," otoh, was a hoot--I actually like it more than the original, which is damn near sacrilege for an old TOser like me. I also really like the original series...

GreenBlood October 30 2007 01:57 AM

I vote Trials and Tribs.

M October 30 2007 02:02 AM

Re: "Darmok" vs "Trials and Tribble-ations" better Trek trib

Love "Darmok" but there isn't much that can beat "Trials And Tribble-ations" ...

TeutonicNights October 30 2007 02:06 AM

TAT for me

patlandness October 30 2007 02:12 AM

Wow, not a single voice (besides me) for "Darmok"?

Unicron October 30 2007 02:14 AM

Well, I'll break the mold and vote "Darmok" as the better ep. :p Don't get me wrong, TAT is okay but I've never found it to be a particularly great ep. The story is only average and it seems like the producers were more interested in finding a way to recycle/merge TOS footage to celebrate the 30th anniversary. It's a nice idea, but I would have preferred a different approach.

SJSharksfan39 October 30 2007 02:51 AM

I don't get the comparison. Trials really was a tribute to original trek, but Darmok had nothing to do with original trek. It's like comparing apples to orenges.

Anwar October 30 2007 03:08 AM

The OP doesn't mean "Tribute to Trek" in that it's a tribute to TOS, he means a tribute to the spirit of Trek.

patlandness October 30 2007 03:10 AM

au contraire, I meant to Trek, not just to TOS.

I guess what I'm trying to get at in this comparison is to see what we value more as Trek fans: nostalgia for things past or exploration of human questions in a dramatic format.

Star Trek XI seems to have answered my question, though.

Orac October 30 2007 03:11 AM

The monster in Darmok ripped Picard's shirt in a very similar fashion to the way Spock ripped Kirk's shirt in Amok Time, I'm pretty sure that was meant to be a tribute to TOS.

Alidar Jarok October 30 2007 03:28 AM

Darmok was the deeper episode, that's for sure.

Colonel Green October 30 2007 03:37 AM

Darmok all the way. T&T was just a gimmick ep, albeit a well executed one.

ktanner3 October 30 2007 03:41 AM

I think Relics would have been a better choice as far as trek tributes go. I've always felt Darmok was an overated episode. Trials and Tribleations by a mile.

Terra Pryme October 30 2007 03:41 AM

"Darmok" seemed more of a tribute to the Predator movies than TOS. The alien monster was certainly similar to them. "T&T" much more qualifies as the better tribute to TOS. With Kirk's crew and the Enterprise, it's no contest.