The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Who was a better counselor, Troi or Guinan? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=34521)

shatastrophic August 1 2007 05:58 PM

Who was a better counselor, Troi or Guinan?

After making a post in the thread concerning Picard and Guinan's relationship it got me to thinking who gave the best advice. I honestly don't know, but it did seem that Guinan set people back on the right path when they needed it. Thoughts anyone?

Vic Sixx August 1 2007 07:28 PM

Re: Who was a better counselor, Troi or Guinan?

I gotta go along and say Guinan was better. Without her empathy, Troi was useless and spent most of her time on the bridge sensing stuff. Guinan was way better.

WillsBabe August 1 2007 07:41 PM

I don't think Guinan was a counselor. She offered advice, often unsolicited. Counselors don't do that.

CommanderRaytas August 1 2007 08:05 PM

Yes, a counsellor is usually there to listen...like a regular psychologist. I would think. Means Troi had no business on the bridge, but that's another story.

Anyway, as to advice, I think Guinan's was better because she could just opine and tell you what she thought about whatever situation. She was no-one's therapist.

J47 August 1 2007 09:18 PM

From what we were shown, Guinan would seem to have been better at her job than Troi ever was, but I think that's more the writer's fault than what was 'actually' the case on the ship. People will spill their heart to a bartender because of anonymity, and for that same reason the bartender will dispense advice, but a trained counselor is usually the way to go.

omnirad August 1 2007 09:34 PM

Troi's counselling consisted of saying 'what do you think?'. bleh.
Guinan made you think. hmmm.

Vulcanian August 1 2007 10:33 PM

Counselor Troi did mostly emotional stuff with people.

Guinan, as WillsBabe said, was more of advice.

But to be honest I haven't seen enough of Guinan to make a judgement.

shatastrophic August 1 2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

WillsBabe said:
I don't think Guinan was a counselor. She offered advice, often unsolicited. Counselors don't do that.

very true

Lookingglassman August 2 2007 01:06 AM

Guinan. I would actually listen to her because she wasnt attractive whereas with Troi I would be looking at her body when she is talking to me.

Snaploud August 2 2007 02:47 AM

Guinan was the only real counselor. Troi seemed more interested in being a human lie detector on the bridge (when she wasn't sensing "great pain" or "joy").

votd August 2 2007 01:27 PM

Troi's character was just an 80s fad of prominent therapy; wheras Guinan was time tested trust in your bar tender and you'll be ok thinking. Gotta be Guinan, instead of appearing in therapy, you're enjoying a chat and getting advice with a friend.

137th Gebirg August 2 2007 02:10 PM

Guinan by far was the better counselor. She never used what Q so eloquently described as the "pedantic psychobabble" that Troi always retreated to when things got weird.

SmoothieX August 2 2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Snaploud said:
Guinan was the only real counselor. Troi seemed more interested in being a human lie detector on the bridge (when she wasn't sensing "great pain" or "joy").

Right on. She basically stands there and tells Picard: "I sense a great deal of apprehension. They could be deceiving us but I can't say."

Troi asks how you feel. Guinan makes you hash out what's bothering you and helps you to find direction as to what to do next.

blakbyrd August 2 2007 11:32 PM

Guinan > Troi.

Keith1701 August 3 2007 02:11 AM

Quote:

omnirad said:
Troi's counselling consisted of saying 'what do you think?'. bleh.
Guinan made you think. hmmm.

Very True......good point!!! :)