The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Nicholas Meyer Can't Save 'Battlestar Galactica' (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=26011)

TrekToday November 16 2001 02:50 PM

Nicholas Meyer Can't Save 'Battlestar Galactica'

One of the most highly anticipated new sci-fi series, a revival of 70s cult classic Battlestar Galactica, has been shelved after director <font color=yellow>Bryan Singer</font> jumped ship to direct 'X-Men 2' and even the involvement of 'Star Trek II' director <font color=yellow>Nicholas Meyer</font> couldn't save the project.

Together with producer <font color=yellow>Tom DeSanto</font>, Singer was one of the integral creative forces behind the project, which was intented to debut on the Fox network in Fall 2002. After Singer said he wouldn't be able to direct the pilot episode, Fox withdrew its support, according to Variety.

In last-ditch attempt to save the Battlestar Galactica revival producers brought on board writer-producer Nicholas Meyer. Meyer has a long association with Star Trek, co-writing both 'Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home' and 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country,' and directing 'The Undiscovered Country' and 'Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan.' However, even the addition of such a high-profile director failed to reverse Fox's decision.

Singer was a driving force behind the Galactica revival, enlisting help from Studios USA to produce the series. Owing to Singer's success with 'X-Men,' starring <font color=yellow>Patrick Stewart</font> (Jean-Luc Picard), the Fox Network agreed to air the series, which was intended to air concurrently on the Sci-Fi Channel.

The pilot was originally scheduled to be shot early next year, but Singer's departure has put the entire project in jeopardy. Executive producer Tom DeSanto still remains at the helm, but there is currently no network committed to airing the series.

A petition to support DeSanto's efforts has been set up at BattlestarGalactica.com. Currently, over nine thousand fans have signed the petition.

<font color=yellow>Richard Hatch</font>, who played Apollo in the original series, has thrown his full support behind the revival. "I believe in Tom DeSanto, whom I have come to know both as an extraordinary human being and a very courageous producer," he wrote at his official web site. "He is, in fact, the only high profiled producer I know who has not only recognized the inherent potential of Galactica, but more importantly, has had the guts to take on the extremely challenging powers that be; to accomplish what most in his field believe to be an impossible and fruitless task."

Created by <font color=yellow>Glenn A. Larson</font>, the original Battlestar Galactica ran for 22 episodes between 1978-1979. The series was eventually cancelled because of high production costs - each episode cost $1 million to make, an astronomical figure for the day. A short-lived series entitled Galactica: 1980 followed, but was universally panned and cancelled after six episodes.

Any decision about the future of the Battlestar Galactica revival will depend on the current behind-the-scenes talks between Singer and Studios USA, and whether a network can be found to air the series. Interestingly, Enterprise home network UPN was said to be in the running for the project back in March (story) but there are as yet no indications it would still be interested in the show.

The original Variety article can be found here.

Khan Noonian Singh November 16 2001 09:42 PM

Re: Nicholas Meyer Can't Save 'Battlestar Galactica'

Damn...Meyer, in many ways, would've been even more perfect for Galactica than Singer would've been. It's a pity that this project is languishing in hell...sure, the original Galactica could get pretty corny, but the concept itself has a lot of potential. Somebody once said that if ABC hadn't monkeyed with it so badly that it could've been the Babylon 5 of it's day, and I agree.

------------------
"Picard hasn't fathered any children; Kirk -- probably millions."
-Reason #46 from "About a million reasons why Kirk was better than that bald Toad-boy Picard"

November 16 2001 10:00 PM

More proof that Fox is run by autistic chimpanzees. BG was a cool show. Not science fiction, per se, but it was a hell of a lot of fun (not counting the shameful BG 1980, natch).

------------------
"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."
--Rorschach, from Alan Moore's Watchmen

November 16 2001 11:13 PM

good
battlestar galactica sucks

Urgent Sky November 16 2001 11:21 PM

Nuts http://trekbbs.com/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif

Cat Scratch Fever November 16 2001 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eric Cartman of Borg:
good

Actually, you suck. Galactica rocks.

------------------
The regeneration of The Master.

November 17 2001 01:27 AM

BG was a great show for it's time and when I was 9yrs old.
I hope it does make it back to TV. Maybe SciFiChannel will pick it up?
With some creative writers this could be one heck of a show.

November 17 2001 04:12 PM

there is a god and he has answered my prayers.

November 17 2001 06:04 PM

Maybe ah' wuz wrong (I dunno, 'TrekBBS' could stand fo' any kind'a 'Trek', ah' guess) but ah' dought dis BBS wuz fo' Star Trek. Ya' know? Is Battlestar Galactica real 'Star Trek' news plum a'cuz de directo' uh II and VI gots an involvement wid it?

November 17 2001 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Malnurtured Snayer:
Maybe ah' wuz wrong (I dunno, 'TrekBBS' could stand fo' any kind'a 'Trek', ah' guess) but ah' dought dis BBS wuz fo' Star Trek. Ya' know? Is Battlestar Galactica real 'Star Trek' news plum a'cuz de directo' uh II and VI gots an involvement wid it?

The thread is relevant because of Nicholas Meyer, NOT Battlestar Galactica.

If you're going to spam, at least read the fucking topic first.

Thanks.

------------------
"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."
--Rorschach, from Alan Moore's Watchmen

November 17 2001 08:01 PM

Thats not spam. Spam is linkin' ter anuvver website or sumfink. And that's wot I asked (if yer'd bovvered ter even attempt ter read me post): is this only news because of the director, isit? Yor an ... well, I won't say it because I'm too polite.

Such language. Yor so uncouff, right? Do they let yer work at Burger Kin' wiv that North and South, luv?

John Sullivan November 18 2001 04:54 AM

Battlestar Galactica without Lorne Green seems a little like Star Trek without William Shatner.

Whoops ...

I am pretty neutral on the subject because I never saw very many episodes, and the ones that I did see reused stock footage where once was good enough.

FYI for anybody into Battlestar Galactica: Check out the #1 fan's website, Charles Adams who runs a really good website http://www.starshipbuilder.com - this guy has been on top of all of the Galactica developments.

I am surprised that Meyer couldn't save Galactica. I haven't seen The Director's Edition of Star Trek - the Motion Picture - and the lack of reviews or comments about it seem to make me believe it wasn't all that. But Meyer saved Star Trek from Star Trek I - and again in Star Trek VI from Star Trek V. Maybe what Galactica needs is one really terrible movie first without Meyer, so he can come in and make it a box office success!

I'm still a little pissed at Meyer for blowing up Kansas City in "The Day After." Ra ra Jay Hawks!

November 20 2001 08:54 PM

WTF has Fox to do with BSG? I thought it was made by Universal, while Fox sued them due Star Wars simmilarity... I really do not understand that weird american TV market!

John Sullivan November 21 2001 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Apollo:
I really do not understand that weird American TV market!
Well, someone once explained it to me as "Jews & Screws." I thought it was rather oversimplified, if not crude. But this is what Hollywood is not: Catholic, hetrosexual, Republican, or anything else I am. The funniest irony is that the Hollywood movers and shakers claim to be the crowd of tolerance, yet their grand ideologies seem to find little hold in Hollywood reality. (Did I just say Hollywood is filled with a bunch of discriminatory, intolerant people? Well, sometimes I wish they would be a little more discriminatory - especially when it comes whatever behind-the-scenes action equates lines, roles, and fame to bad actresses that happen to sleep with the producer!

I think in the case of Battlestar Galactica, the move was attempted so easily because it's a different "20th Century Fox" in the 21st Century, and Fox has a whole new game plan and team than they did when eloping with the likes of CBS, Sony, and others. Universal seems to be the most steadfast and consistent studio, intensely loyal to their employees past and present. I am a huge fan of Universal, and have been for some time. It's hard to believe it, but Paramount Pictures was once run by the likes of Barry Diller and Michael Eisner, and in those days Star Trek was made with a much different mindset than it is with Oscar K. & Co. running things. I find it strange that the group at LucasFilm who stole "Tractor Beams" and other famous phrases from Star Trek had the audacity to sue the producers of Battlestar Galactica - and even as I found the stories to be typical Universal nonsense (I said I liked their style, not their shows), on balance I thought Battlestar Galactica was miles above Star Wars.

Khan Noonian Singh November 22 2001 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eric Cartman of Borg:
good

Even if you think the old show sucked (and a lot of it did, I'll grant you), what makes you think the new one was doomed to fail automatically.

A lot of the original two-hour episodes of Galactica were very fun (not surprising, as Galactica was only supposed to be a Columbo-esque series of occasional TV-movies, not a weekly series, until ABC rushed the project into weekly production) and I don't think the fundamental concept is that horrible at all. All they really needed to do was get rid of the ridiculous episodes like the ones where Apollo crash-lands on a planet and becomes sheriff and the Towering Inferno rip-off and have more big, mytholgical/war episodes, like War of the Gods, The Living Legend, and the pilot. I'm sure the new version would've done that, and more...

------------------
"Picard hasn't fathered any children; Kirk -- probably millions."
-Reason #46 from "About a million reasons why Kirk was better than that bald Toad-boy Picard"