The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   What do You Think of Q? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=249376)

dougiezerts July 13 2014 11:09 PM

What do You Think of Q?

Likable, or unlikable?
I think he's vain, egotistical, chaotic, an SOB--but strangely likable!

TheAdmiralty July 13 2014 11:28 PM

Re: What do You Think of Q?

I always really liked him outside of his first appearance in Encounter at Fairpoint.

JesterFace July 13 2014 11:54 PM

In 'All Good Things...' he is absolutely great!

JirinPanthosa July 14 2014 12:58 AM

He isn't likable so much as 'Fun to watch' due to his rapport with Picard.

2takesfrakes July 14 2014 01:48 AM

I relate to Q, personally. There's much more than meets the eye, with him - maybe that's why. He's been compared with Lord Byron, before, and I can totally see it. I did not like his woman, however. She should've been the type to acquiesce ... a decoration on his arm. I thought that would've complimented him, nicely, BUT ... we got what we got. Otherwise, when Q's on, I know I'll be entertained.

Whoa Nellie July 14 2014 02:03 AM

Quote:

2takesfrakes wrote: (Post 9835258)
He's been compared with Lord Byron, before, and I can totally see it.

:techman: I believe it was John De Lancie himself who says that like Lord Byron, Q was "Mad, bad, and dangerous to know."

I loved episodes with Q.

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie

HIjol July 14 2014 05:36 AM

I believe that, under all that malevolence - and Q was malevolent - there was something about Humanity and Human Beings that interested and attracted him...I agree with you above posters that there was never a dull moment when Q was around, but I think he was truly entertained by us...he wanted to experience and know more about us...

wulfio July 14 2014 06:09 AM

They wrote him a bit too hammy in a lot of episodes. But I rather enjoyed the whole humanity on trial storyline in the pilot and series finale. I thought perhaps that story line continued would have made a more appropriate 1st movie than Generations. The metaphysics in that would have made for a more compelling movie for me.

Lucky July 14 2014 06:43 AM

I like him, especially on TNG. My favorite Q episode is "Tapestry."

JirinPanthosa July 15 2014 01:55 AM

Q is Bart Simpson if he was omnipotent.

BillJ July 15 2014 02:33 AM

Fun character but one that had run its course by the time "Deja Q" rolls around.

Melakon July 15 2014 02:45 AM

Never should have shown up on DS9 or VOY.

JirinPanthosa July 15 2014 02:48 AM

Yeah, between DS9 and Voyager the only appearance I'd keep is Death Wish.

In TNG the only appearances I'd axe are Hide and Q and True Q.

Mr. Laser Beam July 15 2014 02:54 AM

Q kind of reminds me of the Doctor.

Meaning: Neither are malevolent or anything like that - they both have a genuine interest in protecting humanity, but they take a tough-love approach to it.

If Q were truly evil, he could wipe out the entire Federation with a thought, but he doesn't do that. He isn't a liar or a devil. He abides by the rules that he sets. He gives a fair shake to anyone he is testing. And he does love to test people.

BruntFCA July 15 2014 03:01 AM

I have always been a fan, Q was actually one of the first things that got me interested in Trek. I remember when I first joined this board a few years ago being surprised to see people referring to Q as a villain, I never really saw him that way.