The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Examples of magic in the Star Trek universe?.. (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=249127)

junkdata July 10 2014 10:38 PM

Examples of magic in the Star Trek universe?..
 
Star wars has magic and star trek does not. Therefore Star trek is cool and proper Sci Fi and Star wars is childish and fantasy wank.

But surely there are examples of magic in the Star trek universe.

What would you say qualifies as magic in the Star Trek universe?

MacLeod July 10 2014 10:44 PM

Re: Examples of magic in the Star Trek universe?..
 
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Clarke's Third Law

King Daniel Into Darkness July 10 2014 10:44 PM

Re: Examples of magic in the Star Trek universe?..
 
Almost all the "science" in Trek is magic, starting with transporters. They just use technobabble to make it sound halfway plausible.

KaineMorrison July 10 2014 10:51 PM

Re: Examples of magic in the Star Trek universe?..
 
The Episode: The Magicks of Magus-Tu deals with "real" magic.

junkdata July 10 2014 10:54 PM

Re: Examples of magic in the Star Trek universe?..
 
I think the Q are magic and should have been left out of the series.

And the dowd are borderline.

Melakon July 10 2014 11:00 PM

Re: Examples of magic in the Star Trek universe?..
 
It's magic how a woman can be lying down in Star Trek, yet the shape and size of her boobs remain constant.

wulfio July 11 2014 12:15 AM

Re: Examples of magic in the Star Trek universe?..
 
Quote:

junkdata wrote: (Post 9822568)
Star wars has magic and star trek does not. Therefore Star trek is cool and proper Sci Fi and Star wars is childish and fantasy wank.

But surely there are examples of magic in the Star trek universe.

What would you say qualifies as magic in the Star Trek universe?

Yes, the ferengi cast a spell on the galaxy for people to ever take them seriously.

But in seriousness, it depends what your definition of magical is. Gomtuu and all those other space fairing entities could be considered magical from a certain point of view based on their unique abilities. But if you mean like merlin, where someone speaks in latin and then poof, then I don`t think so.

BillJ July 11 2014 12:24 AM

Re: Examples of magic in the Star Trek universe?..
 
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 9822763)
It's magic how a woman can be lying down in Star Trek, yet the shape and size of her boobs remain constant.

The only magic that I care about! :lol:

The Old Mixer July 11 2014 12:27 AM

Re: Examples of magic in the Star Trek universe?..
 
The power of the Q is easily more magical than the Force.

BillJ July 11 2014 12:29 AM

Re: Examples of magic in the Star Trek universe?..
 
Quote:

The Old Mixer wrote: (Post 9823180)
The power of the Q is easily more magical than the Force.

But is it really magic or just very advanced technology that the Federation doesn't understand?

The Old Mixer July 11 2014 12:35 AM

Re: Examples of magic in the Star Trek universe?..
 
I'm talking effect, not rationale. Q snaps his fingers and makes things appear, disappear, or change. Same as Bewitched or I Dream of Jeanie.

And the advanced science rationale could just as easily cover the Force...don't make me bring up the midichlorians....

drt July 11 2014 12:36 AM

Re: Examples of magic in the Star Trek universe?..
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 9823195)
Quote:

The Old Mixer wrote: (Post 9823180)
The power of the Q is easily more magical than the Force.

But is it really magic or just very advanced technology that the Federation doesn't understand?

Most of what the Q does could be explained by super advanced transporter/holodeck/replicator technology, which really isn't too disimilar from how Trelane/Korob & Silvia did their "magic".

BillJ July 11 2014 12:36 AM

Re: Examples of magic in the Star Trek universe?..
 
Quote:

The Old Mixer wrote: (Post 9823213)
I'm talking effect, not rationale. Q snaps his fingers and makes things appear, disappear, or change. Same as Bewitched or I Dream of Jeanie.

But so did Ardra in "Devil's Due".

The Old Mixer July 11 2014 12:39 AM

Re: Examples of magic in the Star Trek universe?..
 
And that was magic, in the real-world performance tradition...the art of illusion.

BillJ July 11 2014 12:40 AM

Re: Examples of magic in the Star Trek universe?..
 
Quote:

The Old Mixer wrote: (Post 9823228)
And that was magic, in the real-world performance tradition...the art of illusion.

I thought we were discussing magic more in the vein of Harry Potter... :p


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.