The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Fan Productions (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter" (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=247735)

PattyW June 23 2014 05:25 AM

Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"
 
As no one has mentioned it yet, for those interested, Phase II has begun re filming their "Mind Sifter" episode and they are posting photos on their Facebook page. Here they are so far.

For more info on them you can visit that page.

James also has photos of their "Guardian of Forever" on his personal page - and a few BTS photos as well.



http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...h22/MS/MS1.jpg

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...h22/MS/MS2.jpg

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...h22/MS/MS3.jpg

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...h22/MS/MS4.jpg


http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...h22/MS/MS5.jpg


http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...h22/MS/MS6.jpg

Cookies and Cake June 23 2014 05:31 AM

Re: Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"
 
:techman:

Chris2005 June 23 2014 05:06 PM

Re: Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"
 
Why are they re-filming?

GSchnitzer June 23 2014 05:22 PM

Re: Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"
 
Quote:

Chris2005 wrote: (Post 9744919)
Why are they re-filming?

We are re filming it for a number of reasons.

In the summer of 2011, we got maybe half the episode shot--the stuff that took place shipboard in "Star Trek" time. We didn't get any of the 1950s Earth scenes. Since that time, we've reworked the script a bit. Also, many of the scenes we did get have a different actor playing Dr. McCoy. (We recast the role with Mr. David Sherin when our regular actor became unavailable for this episode.)

By reshooting the episode entirely, we don't have to worry about matching newly-acquired footage to three-year-old footage. We can shoot with the better equipment and sets that we have now. We can have our regular Dr. McCoy. The very limited footage we got with James Cawley as Kirk can now be redone with Brian Gross as Kirk.

We're not wild about redoing it all, but it's easier to start from scratch than it is to try and makes use of the footage we captured years ago.

Duane June 23 2014 05:25 PM

Re: Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"
 
I loved this story as a kid and I cannot wait to see it. Best of luck.

E-DUB June 23 2014 06:08 PM

Re: Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"
 
Glad to hear that the "Real McCoy" will be returning. Nothing against the other guy but I kinda regard Mr. Kelley as the "heart" of Phase 2. Looking forward to seeing this hit the screen, whenever it happens.

GSchnitzer June 23 2014 06:28 PM

Re: Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"
 
Quote:

E-DUB wrote: (Post 9745207)
Glad to hear that the "Real McCoy" will be returning. Nothing against the other guy but I kinda regard Mr. Kelley as the "heart" of Phase 2. Looking forward to seeing this hit the screen, whenever it happens.

Well, we were sort of founded on the principle that different actors could assume the roles of our beloved Trek characters. When Doc John became unavailable, we decided to put our principles into practice and recast the role. In the end, it looks like we get to have our cake and eat it too.

scifib5st June 23 2014 08:23 PM

Re: Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"
 
Andriech, Thanks for posting the pictures. Are u just posting to let us know or are u working again? I don't know how else to ask the question I want to ask. Hope your spring was better than last year. I'm excited to see a positive kickstarter. LLAP

PattyW June 25 2014 08:01 PM

Re: Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"
 
They are completely refilming the episode because James decided he'd rather start over from scratch than to have me participate in finishing the filming of my script. A brand new script was written by Rick Chambers - it wasn't "reworked". Two scenes with James would have had to be re-shot, but he didn't do the other shipboard scenes yet.

No, Kieth. I'm not "back working for Phase II again"....just sharing for other folks that might be interested as I didn't see anyone else share the info here. If I was "working again" there'd be a lot more accuracy to the shots above...but that's probably one of the reasons it would be inconvenient to have me working again :devil:

GSchnitzer June 26 2014 03:46 AM

Re: Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"
 
Quote:

andriech wrote: (Post 9755470)
They are completely refilming the episode because James decided he'd rather start over from scratch than to have me participate in finishing the filming of my script. A brand new script was written by Rick Chambers - it wasn't "reworked". Two scenes with James would have had to be re-shot, but he didn't do the other shipboard scenes yet.

No, Kieth. I'm not "back working for Phase II again"....just sharing for other folks that might be interested as I didn't see anyone else share the info here. If I was "working again" there'd be a lot more accuracy to the shots above...but that's probably one of the reasons it would be inconvenient to have me working again :devil:

To be fair to andriech, i'm not sure where a "reworking" begins, and a "brand new script" begins. There are certain script elements from our current new script that were in the older, now-replaced script. I would expect lots of commonalities between our old script and our new one of course because they were both drawn from the same "Mind-Sifter" short story source material. But there were some elements that grew from the fertile imagination of our original teleplay writer Ms. Patty Wright. It's clear that, to one degree or another, that original script and not just the original source story contributed to our script now lensing.

I hesitate to call the script "brand new;" some old elements survive even now.

PattyW June 26 2014 04:33 AM

Re: Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"
 
Quote:

GSchnitzer wrote: (Post 9757687)
To be fair to andriech, i'm not sure where a "reworking" begins, and a "brand new script" begins. There are certain script elements from our current new script that were in the older, now-replaced script. I would expect lots of commonalities between our old script and our new one of course because they were both drawn from the same "Mind-Sifter" short story source material. But there were some elements that grew from the fertile imagination of our original teleplay writer Ms. Patty Wright. It's clear that, to one degree or another, that original script and not just the original source story contributed to our script now lensing.

I hesitate to call the script "brand new;" some old elements survive even now.

Well, then, Mr. Schnitzer, Phase II has a HUGE issue to deal with. Ms. Patty Wright withdrew all rights to the original script and all material contained within it. Phase II was told, bluntly, that they could not use anything contained in the script - which is registered with the WGA, and, therefore, anything used from it can be proven. Ms. Patty Wright was assured that Mr. Rick Chambers went back to the original story and did not even have access to Ms. Wright's script.

Now, certainly, being based on the same story there are clearly going to be some similiarities in the scripts...even to the point that whole scenes would be repeated. However, if there is anything from the "original script" in the one now being lensed, Phase II has an issue.

Obviously, this discussion doesn't belong here - except for me to clarify why I was, understandably, thinking that Mr. Chamber's script was an entirely new script. Especially not being told that credit was being given to the original writer.

I expect that Mr. Schnitzer will deal with this between the production and Ms. Wright as necessary, in private, to resolve the issue that could make even this "new" version of "Mind-Sifter" not make it to the public.

There's a lot of new photos... I suggest people go check them out on the FB page.

RCAM June 26 2014 05:25 AM

Re: Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"
 
http://31.media.tumblr.com/05d48d0b7...lvsyo1_250.gif

jamesmc June 26 2014 06:44 AM

Re: Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"
 
Patty, I am the one who told you that I was not filming your script, not the other way around after you publicly posted here on the BBS, that you had to do a rewrite to make the story better fit Brian Gross and his acting style, because you wrote it for mine, Lol. A rewrite which i did not ask for or want. Your need to bicker is quite literally unbelievable. Our version is not your script and is based on both the published and un published versions, although it leans more to the published version. You need to move on and start enjoying your life instead of endlessly living in eternal drama and trying to start a crisis. Yes Please do try and sue all of us over a fan fiction story that was written by someone else who clearly loved what I was doing all those years ago and gave me her blessing to shoot it, even tho she sold her rights to the story years ago. It is exactly this type of ridiculous nonsense that has alienated you from so many people, and makes me scratch my head. I do wish you well, but you make even that hard with this type of behavior.

TRP June 26 2014 02:15 PM

Re: Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"
 
Where were we? Ah, yes, more Trek please . . . I can't wait! The photos are incredible . . .


;^)

Kelso June 26 2014 02:53 PM

Re: Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"
 
Well, the photos are looking great and I'm really looking forward to this one.


Quote:

jamesmc wrote: (Post 9758128)
written by someone else who clearly loved what I was doing all those years ago and gave me her blessing to shoot it, even tho she sold her rights to the story years ago.

Who does own the rights, Paramount? Do you guys have to get clearance to use a story they have paid for? I thought the reason you couldn't do Mr.Spinrad's script because they owned it. Could you adapt other Bantam material, like "Spock Must Die!" or would they have an issue with that? I'm genuinely just curious as to how it all works.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.