The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies I-X (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   I have a confession to make (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=246745)

Pasi Nurminen June 10 2014 06:00 AM

I have a confession to make
 
I liked Star Trek: Nemesis.

The thing is, of all its flaws that have been articulated on this forum, I agree with all of them. Shinzon, as a villain, had so much potential, but this was all squandered by turning him ultimately into a character too cartoonish for his own good, whose only goal was to blow up Earth for some reason. And the cast and crew, they all looked tired, like they were only showing up for the paycheque. There's more, and yet, somehow I enjoyed it, as for all its flaws, the idea behind it was classic Trek, in that the whole Shinzon versus Picard, having grown up as physiologically identical people who endured vastly different upbringings wound up pursuing accordingly different paths. It seems to me that this movie is reinforcing the idea of nurture over nature, a rejection of the obsolete notion of fascism (and Shinzon is a classic fascist) in favour of more progressive ideals.

Also I am sort of tipsy while I write this. So keep that in mind.

teacake June 10 2014 06:10 AM

Re: I have a confession to make
 
For young Picard I prefer James McAvoy.

Dukhat June 10 2014 06:31 AM

Re: I have a confession to make
 
Quote:

Pasi Nurminen wrote: (Post 9683710)
I liked Star Trek: Nemesis.

The thing is, of all its flaws that have been articulated on this forum, I agree with all of them. Shinzon, as a villain, had so much potential, but this was all squandered by turning him ultimately into a character too cartoonish for his own good, whose only goal was to blow up Earth for some reason. And the cast and crew, they all looked tired, like they were only showing up for the paycheque. There's more, and yet, somehow I enjoyed it, as for all its flaws, the idea behind it was classic Trek, in that the whole Shinzon versus Picard, having grown up as physiologically identical people who endured vastly different upbringings wound up pursuing accordingly different paths. It seems to me that this movie is reinforcing the idea of nurture over nature, a rejection of the obsolete notion of fascism (and Shinzon is a classic fascist) in favour of more progressive ideals.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: More power to anyone who actually enjoyed this film. And you're right, all the film's flaws have been pointed out ad nauseum, so I won't repeat them here.

Quote:

Also I am sort of tipsy while I write this. So keep that in mind.
No problem; that's probably the best way to watch Nemesis ;)

AllStarEntprise June 10 2014 06:33 AM

Re: I have a confession to make
 
Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 9683734)
For young Picard I prefer James McAvoy.

LAWL
I guess someone has been meddling around the timestream and altering what Picard looked like as a youth.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9...226lo1_500.png
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4...u97lo1_500.jpg

To the OP. I like Nemesis too.

Smellmet June 10 2014 08:48 AM

Re: I have a confession to make
 
I think it's the best of the TNG movies, I personally find it the most entertaining of the four, despite it's flaws, which I overlook in the same way I overlook things in dumb action flicks

C.E. Evans June 10 2014 11:52 AM

Re: I have a confession to make
 
It was always so odd for me--I didn't like it at first and I was kind of on the hate bandwagon for a little bit. But when I saw it the second time years later, I realized that most of things I disliked about it came from a fanboy perspective (for lack of a better term). I dunno, my initial nitpicks kind of seem trivial or petty these days. Now, it's my favorite TNG movie and I always stop to see some of it when I see it being played on TV somewhere.

Smellmet June 10 2014 11:59 AM

Re: I have a confession to make
 
It's worth watching for the Scimitar battle alone. Best battle in the series along with TWOK for me. All the criticism it gets I could accuse every Trek movie of similar sins, even the ones at the top of the pile, (TWOK, STID, ST09, TUC) I put Nemesis just behind those four

BillJ June 10 2014 02:42 PM

Re: I have a confession to make
 
Nemesis is actually the best of the four TNG films. It is also the most cinematic, which figures since it is actually directed by a real live movie person.

Bry_Sinclair June 10 2014 03:02 PM

Re: I have a confession to make
 
I would like to like it, but there are just too many things wrong with it that just make my TOCD (Trek Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) go nuts, things that would've taken either a single line to explain or could've been tweaked slightly to make them easier to take in.

Then there's the whole Data 2.0 thing which is just the giant polystyrene rock on top of the grave, leaving my ability to like the film as dead as Gary Mitchell.

Kirby June 10 2014 03:09 PM

Re: I have a confession to make
 
Quote:

Pasi Nurminen wrote: (Post 9683710)
I liked Star Trek: Nemesis.

You know what? You like what you like, and to hell with what everyone else thinks.

Personally I don't care for the movie, but I've really only seen it twice; once in the theater and once on DVD when it came out. I've seen bits and pieces of it on TV, but I should probably check it out again.

Smellmet June 10 2014 03:25 PM

Re: I have a confession to make
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 9684574)
Nemesis is actually the best of the four TNG films. It is also the most cinematic, which figures since it is actually directed by a real live movie person.

Couldn't agree more - I remember when I first watched FC & INS and my heart sinking at the small scale sets, I had no such feelings on the opening of Nemesis, I know people like to criticise the Romulan senate set, but I though it looked gorgeous, and to people who say it looked so small, if you look at the opening scene where the camera comes in from orbit you can see that that room is basically an 'upper chamber' of a much larger building so to speak. The same goes for Riker's wedding - I never noticed a problem with that background until I joined these boards. In fact the only cost cutting I noticed were the interior shots of the Scimitar.

The film has an excellent Goldsmith score too it was great to hear the TMP theme again on the big screen in a scene other than the end credits.

There's some serious Enterprise-E porn in this movie too, the scene where it is approaching the planet where they find B4 is an absolute stunner. And that's before we even come to the battle. Not to mention a pair of never-before-seen Romulan Warbirds kicking ass.

My only real gripe is the screenplay which relies on a load of coincidences, and I could say that about any number of films.

Im in the minority but I love Nemesis.

GalaxyX June 12 2014 05:23 AM

Re: I have a confession to make
 
Quote:

Bry_Sinclair wrote: (Post 9684631)
I would like to like it, but there are just too many things wrong with it that just make my TOCD (Trek Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) go nuts, things that would've taken either a single line to explain or could've been tweaked slightly to make them easier to take in.

Then there's the whole Data 2.0 thing which is just the giant polystyrene rock on top of the grave, leaving my ability to like the film as dead as Gary Mitchell.

I cannot possibly QFT you even more :)

Bry_Sinclair June 12 2014 12:22 PM

Re: I have a confession to make
 
Quote:

GalaxyX wrote: (Post 9693289)
I cannot possibly QFT you even more :)

Many thanks :bolian:

Trek Survivor June 12 2014 12:33 PM

Re: I have a confession to make
 
I like it too!

The Wormhole June 12 2014 02:29 PM

Re: I have a confession to make
 
I like Nemesis, too. In fact, it and Generations are the two TNG movies I watch the most. Seriously.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.