The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Why women dosen't display their Ranks ? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=245827)

dammitjim6400 May 28 2014 09:00 PM

Why women dosen't display their Ranks ?

Okay..First of all, I think JJ Abrams Star Trek is a total travesty of sci fi and the Original series,from a young Kirk being a loser to Spock and Uhura arguing like two mixed up teens and the bridge looking like a best buy store with a thousand lens flares, there's 50 other things I hate about Abrams Trek but..Could someone PLEASE explain to me why the woman in JJ Abrams Trek movies don't display their ranks...
Best answer wins .:techman:

davidant32 May 28 2014 09:04 PM

Re: Why women dosen't display their Ranks ?

I always thought the bridge looked more like an Apple Store

King Daniel Into Darkness May 28 2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

dammitjim6400 wrote: (Post 9633982)
Okay..First of all, I think JJ Abrams Star Trek is a total travesty of sci fi and the Original series,from a young Kirk being a loser to Spock and Uhura arguing like two mixed up teens and the bridge looking like a best buy store with a thousand lens flares, there's 50 other things I hate about Abrams Trek but..Could someone PLEASE explain to me why the woman in JJ Abrams Trek movies don't display their ranks...

Look closer - the sleeveless uniform is optional. Hannity, Madeline and others visible throughout the movies wear long sleeves which display their rank.

And I love the new Trek. It's a wonderful update of the original. The bridge may be too shiny to be practical, but it looks damn cool.:cool:

Campe98 May 28 2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Could someone PLEASE explain to me why the woman in JJ Abrams Trek movies don't display their ranks...
While I agree there are female uniforms in the reboot that do show this, on the shortsleeve version, where exactly would you put it without it looking silly?

Quote:

Best answer wins . :techman:
What DOES the winner win?

King Daniel Into Darkness May 28 2014 10:21 PM

Better grammar in future thread titles!

BigJake May 28 2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

JJ Abrams Star Trek is a total travesty of sci fi and the Original series

It owes a lot more to Star Wars-style science fantasy sensibility.

Quote:

Could someone PLEASE explain to me why the woman in JJ Abrams Trek movies don't display their ranks...
As King Daniel points out, the short-sleeve uniforms appear to be optional. Why that would be the case, who knows. Mumble-mumble alternate universe mumble-mumble just a movie, basically. :shrug:

Quote:

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote:
Better grammar in future thread titles!

What does we want?
Better grammers!

When does we want it?
Now,

Pauln6 May 29 2014 12:27 AM

They don't need rank when they have legs. They can aspire to become the Captain's Woman.

To summarise, the short sleeved versions should have rank epaulets.

And legs.

The Wormhole May 29 2014 02:34 AM

Since there is a long sleeve variant for the women the question should be why don't the men have a short sleeve variant?

Which is odd, particularly since Karl Urban is always rolling his sleeves up to pull off DeForest Kelley's short sleeve look.

doubleohfive May 29 2014 02:37 AM

Quote:

Okay..First of all, I think JJ Abrams Star Trek is a total travesty of sci fi and the Original series

So don't watch the Abrams films.

BillJ May 29 2014 02:47 AM

Quote:

Okay..First of all, I think JJ Abrams Star Trek is a total travesty of sci fi and the Original series...

Please point on the gingerbread man below where J.J. Abrams touched you.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/...ps163b84c2.png

The Wormhole May 29 2014 03:02 AM

Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 9635521)
Please point on the gingerbread man below where J.J. Abrams touched you.

Which part of the Gingerbread Man represents childhood?

Devon May 29 2014 03:27 AM

Quote:

You can thank the closing of StarTrek.com's message boards for this post and what undoubtedly will be many more postings like this by this particular user.

M'Sharak May 29 2014 09:19 AM

Quote:

Give a good look at TOS and provide an explanation for why ranks are so often not displayed by officers and crew of the female persuasion.

Quote:

Devon wrote: (Post 9635674)
Quote:

You can thank the closing of StarTrek.com's message boards for this post and what undoubtedly will be many more postings like this by this particular user.

You're making it personal, and you really ought to know better. Warning for trolling. Comments to PM.

dammitjim6400 May 29 2014 10:39 PM

Okay, as far as I can tell women in TOS always displayed their ranks, even in the films, maybe they think it wasn't important in the alternate universe, I just felt that in a huge Star Fleet, ranks completes the uniforms .:confused:

MakeshiftPython May 29 2014 10:47 PM

IIRC, there were short sleeve variants in TMP. Kirk even wore one.

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...icture0628.jpg