The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies I-X (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   NASA artist Bob McCall's TMP paintings (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=245647)

Robert Comsol May 26 2014 02:31 PM

NASA artist Bob McCall's TMP paintings
 
NASA Artist Bob McCall did a total of four paintings for 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY with the one of the Pan Am space clipper departing Space Station V undoubtedly being the most popular one.

Given the 2001 allusions I always found present in TMP, I was rather surprised and fascinated that Bob McCall also did pre-production work for TMP:

http://filmsketchr.blogspot.de/2013/...n-picture.html

Enjoy! :)

Bob

Mario de Monti May 26 2014 03:16 PM

Re: NASA artist Bob McCall's TMP paintings
 
Great find, thanks for sharing :bolian:

Be sure to also follow the link below the pictures to his homepage, a lot of very interesting (concept) paintings there.

trevanian May 26 2014 05:27 PM

Re: NASA artist Bob McCall's TMP paintings
 
Quote:

Robert Comsol wrote: (Post 9625357)
NASA Artist Bob McCall did a total of four paintings for 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY with the one of the Pan Am space clipper departing Space Station V undoubtedly being the most popular one.

Given the 2001 allusions I always found present in TMP, I was rather surprised and fascinated that Bob McCall also did pre-production work for TMP:

http://filmsketchr.blogspot.de/2013/...n-picture.html

Enjoy! :)

Bob

Most if not all of his TMP stuff is in a book he illustrated with text by Ben Bova. I have it somewhere, but don't recall the title - no, it's VISION OF THE FUTURE.

His work took place well into post, at the behest of Trumbull, but it is still conceptual stuff.

Maurice May 26 2014 08:54 PM

Re: NASA artist Bob McCall's TMP paintings
 
Didn't he also paint some of the background images actually used in the Spock Walk?

trevanian May 26 2014 09:23 PM

Re: NASA artist Bob McCall's TMP paintings
 
I've read conflicting accounts about that, but Trumbull initially intended that to be the case. It looks like McCall's stuff is the background, but I've never made a study of it. Frankly, am much more bothered about the triple or quadruple printing of frames while all those moons and planets are coming by than what is happening behind them.

Maurice May 26 2014 10:25 PM

Re: NASA artist Bob McCall's TMP paintings
 
The background behind those planets sure smacks of McCall's work.

Psion May 27 2014 06:10 AM

Re: NASA artist Bob McCall's TMP paintings
 
He also did one or two pictures of the Enterprise that weren't in Robert's link. I have a reprint of one in storage. I sure miss McCall.

B.J. May 27 2014 02:02 PM

Re: NASA artist Bob McCall's TMP paintings
 
I really liked this painting of his because it really shows (better than the movie IMO) how HUGE V'Ger was!

Robert Comsol May 28 2014 09:40 AM

Re: NASA artist Bob McCall's TMP paintings
 
^^ Indeed, I hadn't paid attention to the shadows V'ger (behind Earth) is casting, in comparison the alien probe from ST IV is a dwarf.

(I think the almost finalized Probert orbital office design and the scary nature of V'ger's maw distracted me :rolleyes:)

Bob

2takesfrakes May 30 2014 12:34 PM

Re: NASA artist Bob McCall's TMP paintings
 
What a shame Harrison Ellenshaw couldn't have gotten onboard for TMP, as well. He was probably the best matt painter in the industry at the tme.

KirkusOveractus June 5 2014 06:13 PM

Re: NASA artist Bob McCall's TMP paintings
 
I think I saw some of the original McCall paintings at the Smithsonian in the mid or late 1980's, in a room at the Air and Space Museum (the TOS Enterprise model was hanging above them and she was operating, nacelles and all!)

Those paintings were amazing to see in person - I'll have to see if I can find the photos I snapped that day!

publiusr June 8 2014 09:39 PM

Re: NASA artist Bob McCall's TMP paintings
 
Quote:

Psion wrote: (Post 9627955)
He also did one or two pictures of the Enterprise that weren't in Robert's link. I have a reprint of one in storage. I sure miss McCall.


SHARE, please?

I like the added forecastle he placed on the Klingon cruiser's Cobra head--up top

Robert Comsol June 10 2014 11:36 AM

Re: NASA artist Bob McCall's TMP paintings
 
Quote:

KirkusOveractus wrote: (Post 9666292)
I think I saw some of the original McCall paintings at the Smithsonian in the mid or late 1980's, in a room at the Air and Space Museum (the TOS Enterprise model was hanging above them and she was operating, nacelles and all!)

IIRC, it was the one from 2001 with the EVA Pod and the Discovery in background that was sharing space with the TOS Enterprise.

Bob

Psion June 11 2014 04:14 AM

Re: NASA artist Bob McCall's TMP paintings
 
Quote:

publiusr wrote: (Post 9677491)
Quote:

Psion wrote: (Post 9627955)
He also did one or two pictures of the Enterprise that weren't in Robert's link. I have a reprint of one in storage. I sure miss McCall.


SHARE, please?

I like the added forecastle he placed on the Klingon cruiser's Cobra head--up top

I bought a reprint of this one in the 1990s at a Star Trek exhibit at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum:

http://www.psidonia.org/images/tvand...bmcall_004.jpg

As is common with McCall works, the spectacular background often overshadows the subject. Note the interesting detail representing the warp field emitted by the engines. In McCall's vision, warp drive left a distinct, luminescent wake.


I'm fairly certain there was a second closeup of the Starship Enterprise, but don't remember the details. I did find this, which roughly corresponds to what I think the second painting looked like, but there's a noisy neuron in my skull who insists this isn't it ... still:
http://www.psidonia.org/images/tvand...bmcall_001.jpg

This image and the one above suggest to me that McCall may have been working from photos of the unlit model, or viewed it in person. Notice that there are no pools of self-lighting evident and the navigational deflector looks like unlit plastic. I'm sure he'd have painted it blue or amber had he seen clips from the movie.


I also found this black and white image that I believe is detail from a larger work:

http://www.psidonia.org/images/tvand...bmcall_005.jpg

Commissioning McCall to do this kind of work for the franchise was a flash of brilliance. It's a shame there aren't more examples.


EDIT TO ADD:

BJ and Robert Comsol thought this image made V'Ger look big. Here's another.

Robert Comsol June 11 2014 10:49 AM

Re: NASA artist Bob McCall's TMP paintings
 
Quote:

Psion wrote: (Post 9688048)
http://www.psidonia.org/images/tvand...bmcall_001.jpg

This image and the one above suggest to me that McCall may have been working from photos of the unlit model, or viewed it in person. Notice that there are no pools of self-lighting evident and the navigational deflector looks like unlit plastic. I'm sure he'd have painted it blue or amber had he seen clips from the movie.

BJ and Robert Comsol thought this image made V'Ger look big. Here's another.

These are great images, thanks for going through the hazzle of finding, posting and sharing these! :techman:

The one with the visible warp field reminds me how Andrew Probert described the effect (and in his officer's lounge proposal and sketch we also see that field).

The image above makes me wonder: Is that the Death Star on the left side? :eek:

And this other link makes V'ger still look a little bigger. WOW!

Bob


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.