The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Writing Women (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=245431)

QuarkforNagus May 23 2014 06:29 AM

Writing Women
 
I don't get why ST writers had such a hard time writing decent female characters.

With the exception of Seven and Whoopi Goldberg, the female characters were either annoying, bitchy and/or whiny, or completely uninteresting.

This doesn't seem to limited to ST. What's so hard about writing a compelling female character?

Gov Kodos May 23 2014 07:03 AM

Re: Writing Women
 
What constitutes annoying, bitchy and/or whiny?

-Brett- May 23 2014 07:17 AM

Re: Writing Women
 
It's debatable how much is faulty writing and how much is a double standard on the part of the audience.

I won't deny that there's some of the former, but it's also not entirely the writers fault.

teacake May 23 2014 08:03 AM

Re: Writing Women
 
Quote:

Gov Kodos wrote: (Post 9614686)
What constitutes annoying, bitchy and/or whiny?

Speech.

Gov Kodos May 23 2014 08:05 AM

Re: Writing Women
 
Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 9614830)
Quote:

Gov Kodos wrote: (Post 9614686)
What constitutes annoying, bitchy and/or whiny?

Speech.

Proof there is no god, that. Or if there is, god isn't a man.

C.E. Evans May 23 2014 08:47 AM

Re: Writing Women
 
Quote:

QuarkforNagus wrote: (Post 9614596)
I don't get why ST writers had such a hard time writing decent female characters.

With the exception of Seven and Whoopi Goldberg, the female characters were either annoying, bitchy and/or whiny, or completely uninteresting.

Male characters are like that too, except they're called ambitious, determined and/or forthright, or stoic.
Quote:

This doesn't seem to limited to ST. What's so hard about writing a compelling female character?
The kind of stories being told. Otherwise, they're written how a writer, producer, or studio/network wants them to be written, just like male characters.

Trekker4747 May 23 2014 11:19 AM

Re: Writing Women
 
Quote:

QuarkforNagus wrote: (Post 9614596)
I don't get why ST writers had such a hard time writing decent female characters.

With the exception of Seven and Whoopi Goldberg, the female characters were either annoying, bitchy and/or whiny, or completely uninteresting.

This doesn't seem to limited to ST. What's so hard about writing a compelling female character?

I'd argue Seven falls under "completely uninteresting" because she was, other than being a former Borg which really didn't come to much more than her having a body full of plot contrivances to save the day. It'd mean something if she went from bland and rigid after first being de-borged and became more, you know, human over the course of time but no always stiff and talking in a rather flat voice.

AgentCoop May 23 2014 12:12 PM

Re: Writing Women
 
Janeway, Seven, Kira, Jadzia, Ro, Guinan and Torres were all well-written characters, in my opinion.

JarodRussell May 23 2014 12:22 PM

Re: Writing Women
 
Janeway was one of the cases where they tried to make her a "strong female leader" by letting her make the "tough decisions", but they completely ignored how stupid those decisions were. The result was that the character of Janeway had a completely fucked up moral compass. Many times her subordinates had to go great lengths to convince her to do the right thing, but she always stuck to her wrong path, always pulled one of those "Never dare to speak to me that way again" variations, until the last act of the episode.

The most notable example imo is the episode where the EMH goes crazy, and Seven eventually puts her foot up Janeway's ass.

Forbin May 23 2014 12:41 PM

Re: Writing Women
 
How was Seven a decent female character in any way?

JarodRussell May 23 2014 12:55 PM

Re: Writing Women
 
Quote:

Forbin wrote: (Post 9615142)
How was Seven a decent female character in any way?

On paper, she was a good character. But it was totally ruined by the decision to pointlessly sex her up.

teacake May 23 2014 01:14 PM

Re: Writing Women
 
You are wrong.

Nerys Myk May 23 2014 03:43 PM

Re: Writing Women
 
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 9615178)
Quote:

Forbin wrote: (Post 9615142)
How was Seven a decent female character in any way?

On paper, she was a good character. But it was totally ruined by the decision to pointlessly sex her up.

Sex her up was on the paper, too.

JarodRussell May 23 2014 04:30 PM

Re: Writing Women
 
Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 9615688)
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 9615178)
Quote:

Forbin wrote: (Post 9615142)
How was Seven a decent female character in any way?

On paper, she was a good character. But it was totally ruined by the decision to pointlessly sex her up.

Sex her up was on the paper, too.

When I say on paper, I mean without the visuals.

Unless the script said "REVEAL big breasted blonde in skintight catsuit."

Forbin May 23 2014 05:21 PM

Re: Writing Women
 
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 9615790)
Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 9615688)
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 9615178)

On paper, she was a good character. But it was totally ruined by the decision to pointlessly sex her up.

Sex her up was on the paper, too.

When I say on paper, I mean without the visuals.

Unless the script said "REVEAL big breasted blonde in skintight catsuit."

Or "Reveal Braga's adolescent emotionless ice queen fantasy."


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.