The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Writing Women (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=245431)

QuarkforNagus May 23 2014 06:29 AM

Writing Women

I don't get why ST writers had such a hard time writing decent female characters.

With the exception of Seven and Whoopi Goldberg, the female characters were either annoying, bitchy and/or whiny, or completely uninteresting.

This doesn't seem to limited to ST. What's so hard about writing a compelling female character?

Gov Kodos May 23 2014 07:03 AM

Re: Writing Women

What constitutes annoying, bitchy and/or whiny?

-Brett- May 23 2014 07:17 AM

It's debatable how much is faulty writing and how much is a double standard on the part of the audience.

I won't deny that there's some of the former, but it's also not entirely the writers fault.

teacake May 23 2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Gov Kodos wrote: (Post 9614686)

Speech.

Gov Kodos May 23 2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 9614830)
Quote:

Gov Kodos wrote: (Post 9614686)

Speech.

Proof there is no god, that. Or if there is, god isn't a man.

C.E. Evans May 23 2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

QuarkforNagus wrote: (Post 9614596)
I don't get why ST writers had such a hard time writing decent female characters.

With the exception of Seven and Whoopi Goldberg, the female characters were either annoying, bitchy and/or whiny, or completely uninteresting.

Male characters are like that too, except they're called ambitious, determined and/or forthright, or stoic.
Quote:

This doesn't seem to limited to ST. What's so hard about writing a compelling female character?
The kind of stories being told. Otherwise, they're written how a writer, producer, or studio/network wants them to be written, just like male characters.

Trekker4747 May 23 2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

QuarkforNagus wrote: (Post 9614596)

I'd argue Seven falls under "completely uninteresting" because she was, other than being a former Borg which really didn't come to much more than her having a body full of plot contrivances to save the day. It'd mean something if she went from bland and rigid after first being de-borged and became more, you know, human over the course of time but no always stiff and talking in a rather flat voice.

AgentCoop May 23 2014 12:12 PM

Janeway, Seven, Kira, Jadzia, Ro, Guinan and Torres were all well-written characters, in my opinion.

JarodRussell May 23 2014 12:22 PM

Janeway was one of the cases where they tried to make her a "strong female leader" by letting her make the "tough decisions", but they completely ignored how stupid those decisions were. The result was that the character of Janeway had a completely fucked up moral compass. Many times her subordinates had to go great lengths to convince her to do the right thing, but she always stuck to her wrong path, always pulled one of those "Never dare to speak to me that way again" variations, until the last act of the episode.

The most notable example imo is the episode where the EMH goes crazy, and Seven eventually puts her foot up Janeway's ass.

Forbin May 23 2014 12:41 PM

How was Seven a decent female character in any way?

JarodRussell May 23 2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Forbin wrote: (Post 9615142)

On paper, she was a good character. But it was totally ruined by the decision to pointlessly sex her up.

teacake May 23 2014 01:14 PM

You are wrong.

Nerys Myk May 23 2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 9615178)
Quote:

On paper, she was a good character. But it was totally ruined by the decision to pointlessly sex her up.

Sex her up was on the paper, too.

JarodRussell May 23 2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 9615688)
Quote:

Quote:

When I say on paper, I mean without the visuals.

Unless the script said "REVEAL big breasted blonde in skintight catsuit."

Forbin May 23 2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 9615790)
Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 9615688)
Quote:

When I say on paper, I mean without the visuals.

Unless the script said "REVEAL big breasted blonde in skintight catsuit."

Or "Reveal Braga's adolescent emotionless ice queen fantasy."