The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Chris Pine/Kirk (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=243487)

TayLaLaLa April 27 2014 01:37 PM

Chris Pine/Kirk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Pine

Quote:

Christopher Whitelaw "Chris" Pine[2] (born August 26, 1980) is an American actor in films and television. Best known for his role as James T. Kirk in the 2009 film Star Trek, and its sequel, Star Trek Into Darkness (2013), he has also starred in over 15 other films, including: The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (2004), Just My Luck (2006), Smokin' Aces (2007), Unstoppable (2010), This Means War (2012), Rise of the Guardians (2012), and as Jack Ryan in Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (2014).
Discuss The Captain!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDweICxzeQA

ETA: Karl Urban is a badass McCoy! :D

MOD: I am sorry! Forgot there was another thread.

Keith1701 April 27 2014 03:19 PM

Re: Chris Pine/Kirk

Chris Pine is a great Kirk. He has already done things that William Shatner could never had done even in his television series years. Look Up George Takei talking about the new Kirk and William Shatner on youtube.com:)

King Daniel Into Darkness April 28 2014 10:49 AM

I like Pine's Kirk. He's a cocky sod, but always manages to be likeable. Compare to his performance in Carriers, where he's very similar but plays it just over the unlikable asshole line.

Smellmet April 28 2014 01:14 PM

I think he makes a good Kirk without trying to impersonate shatner too much, which is good. In the next movie though I want to see his awesome-ness in tactically out-thinking his enemies like the Kirk we all know and love, rather than arrogantly riding his luck like the first 2 movies where we've seen him get the chair too early, lose it and have to earn it back.

JarodRussell April 28 2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Keith1701 wrote: (Post 9518665)
He has already done things that William Shatner could never had done even in his television series years.

Like what?

bbjeg April 28 2014 04:27 PM

I don't think he'll ever reach the nostalgic level that Shatner is at but he's a good spin on the character.
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 9521959)
Quote:

He has already done things that William Shatner could never had done even in his television series years.

Like what?

Shatner didn't get beat up as much.

The Keeper April 28 2014 11:06 PM

*coughfinnigancough*

M'Sharak April 29 2014 02:48 AM

Bonk bonk on the head.

Set Harth April 29 2014 02:56 AM

Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 9521959)
Quote:

Like what?

Transwarp beaming.

HIjol April 29 2014 03:51 AM

Quote:

M'Sharak wrote: (Post 9524497)
Bonk bonk on the head.

funny!!! :guffaw:

HIjol April 29 2014 03:52 AM

tell you what...he held his own against Denzell in 'Unstoppable"...not Oscar material, but he did the job of the role...

CommishSleer April 29 2014 06:41 AM

I don't really like Pine as Kirk but its mostly the script.
I'm hoping he'll come off less of a jerk in the next movies. I certainly liked him better in STID than in ST09.

Come to think of it I didn't like Shatner as Kirk until the 80s. I thought he was too much of a 'ladies' man.
Maybe in another 20 years I'll think better of Pine.;)

I think I'd like Urban better as Kirk though.

HIjol April 29 2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

CommishSleer wrote: (Post 9525079)
I don't really like Pine as Kirk but its mostly the script.
I'm hoping he'll come off less of a jerk in the next movies. I certainly liked him better in STID than in ST09.

Come to think of it I didn't like Shatner as Kirk until the 80s. I thought he was too much of a 'ladies' man.
Maybe in another 20 years I'll think better of Pine.;)

I think I'd like Urban better as Kirk though.

I am with you on Urban...has he had a "bad " role?...if he has, I cannot I think of it...Bourne, ST, LOtR, Riddick...I did not see Judge Dredd, but I understand he did a good I job with that...I read recently that his "voice" of Dr. McCoy was so good that it moved Leonard Nimoy to tears...you gotta love that... :)

bbjeg April 30 2014 12:07 AM

^Nothing against the rest of the cast but IMO Urban was the closest to his original counterpart.

King Daniel Into Darkness April 30 2014 12:20 AM

^Except this McCoy got that gym membership which McCoy Prime only dreamed about.