The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science and Technology (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   danish plate tectonics active (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=243433)

varek April 26 2014 06:13 PM

danish plate tectonics active
 
Plate tectonics are uplifting northern Denmark, and the former island of Hanstholm is being raised up out of the sea, becoming an elevated area, rather than still being an island.

Perhaps because of this, the ancient Stone Age coastline is visible, and fossils have allegedly been found in many places there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanstholm

scotthm April 26 2014 07:00 PM

Re: danish plate tectonics active
 
"Fascinating!"

---------------

sojourner April 26 2014 07:32 PM

Re: danish plate tectonics active
 
Not really headline news there.

Retu April 27 2014 06:33 AM

Re: danish plate tectonics active
 
Not that weird. Earth's crust was pushed down by the weight of the massive glacier during the last ice age and now it's slowly bouncing back:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-glacial_rebound

varek April 27 2014 06:09 PM

Re: danish plate tectonics active
 
But, Retu, just think of the ancient sites on the Doggeral Bank (in the North Sea) that connected the British Isles to the European Continent for thousands of years! If those sites rise above sea level, we might find hundreds of Mesolithic locations and millions of artifacts that could revolutionize our understanding of human history!

Not to mention the havoc that will wreak with the modern bridges and tunnels constructed between Denmark and Sweden recently!

Plus, the Tunnel between England and France might be affected, depending upon the speed, location and direction of the plate movement.

scotpens April 28 2014 01:02 AM

Re: danish plate tectonics active
 
Quote:

varek wrote: (Post 9519244)
But, Retu, just think of the ancient sites on the Doggeral Bank (in the North Sea) that connected the British Isles to the European Continent for thousands of years!

I assume you're referring to Doggerland and the Dogger Bank? Doggerel is bad poetry. :p

JarodRussell April 28 2014 10:12 PM

Re: danish plate tectonics active
 
This forum is starting to feel like a Twitter feed about what science news varek's browsing for breakfast.

RoJoHen April 30 2014 01:03 AM

Re: danish plate tectonics active
 
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 9523732)
This forum is starting to feel like a Twitter feed about what science news varek's browsing for breakfast.

*retweet*

publiusr May 2 2014 11:42 PM

Re: danish plate tectonics active
 
Quote:

scotpens wrote: (Post 9520525)
Quote:

varek wrote: (Post 9519244)
But, Retu, just think of the ancient sites on the Doggeral Bank (in the North Sea) that connected the British Isles to the European Continent for thousands of years!

I assume you're referring to Doggerland and the Dogger Bank?

I remember reading about that here: http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...ubmerged-lands


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.