The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Future of Trek (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Your ideal New Trek Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=243385)

jmampilly April 26 2014 05:14 AM

Your ideal New Trek Series

Hi guys,
I read about the new Trek series on the table, which would portray Worf as a captain. This got me thinking about what a future Trek show would have, ideally...

What do you want to see in a new Trek series? A war-centric one like DS9, one abundant with moral dilemmas, like TNG, or perhaps something a bit closer to home, like ENT?

Melakon April 26 2014 05:35 AM

Re: Your ideal New Trek Series

Howdy, jmampilly.

You should check out the Future of Trek sub-forum here at the site, where there are lots of threads kicking around ideas for things.

http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Keith1701 April 26 2014 02:50 PM

:)
Quote:

jmampilly wrote: (Post 9514213)
Hi guys,
I read about the new Trek series on the table, which would portray Worf as a captain. This got me thinking about what a future Trek show would have, ideally...

What do you want to see in a new Trek series? A war-centric one like DS9, one abundant with moral dilemmas, like TNG, or perhaps something a bit closer to home, like ENT?

I think more like Star Trek The Next Generation.:) The ratings were best for TNG than the other series.:)

Nerys Myk April 26 2014 05:57 PM

People on a spaceship doing stuff in outer space.

T'Girl April 26 2014 06:13 PM

ENT was a missed oppertunity, the decision to make the captain a innocent stumbling fool was a mistake. A few of the character were fine in isolation, but the crew never "meshed."

While not disregarding what happen in ENT, have another go at a pre-TOS series.

C.E. Evans April 26 2014 06:27 PM

My ideal series would be one involving a 25th- or 26th-Century Enterprise.

varek April 26 2014 06:44 PM

I wonder if they could develop a concept like the BBC's Playhouse, where potential pilots were shown as single episodes. The one with the highest ratings could then become a new series.

A series about the crew of a newer ship, like the Aventine and Captain Ezri Dax, would be good, and so would a series about Klingon and/or Cardassian mercenaries, I think.

(The Titan books have good adventures, but some of its more-exotic crewmembers might be difficult to depict on the small screen.)

T'Girl April 27 2014 08:56 AM

The problem I have with a series set in the 25th and 26th centuries is the technology would be getting too magical, or you would have to cook up a reason that technological advancement largely stopped in the 24th century. Some kind of general societal fall like a Federation civil war would be one possible explanation.

A Titan series would be a nice possibility, we would have Riker and Troi to anchor it to previous Trek and then new characters we've never seen before to move the show forward. At this point recasting Riker and Troi would basically be a given.

The show could start immediately following the events of Nemesis, or pick up months/years after Riker takes command.

Quote:

varek wrote: (Post 9515587)
The Titan books have good adventures, but some of its more-exotic crewmembers might be difficult to depict on the small screen.

The Titan TV series wouldn't have to have any connection to the books, the ship and characters would be fresh creations.

maneth April 27 2014 09:54 AM

An animated Titan series starring the voices of Frakes and Sirtis would be wonderful... But the animation would have to be very good, on a par with Star Wars: The Clone Wars or Transformers Prime. But an animated show would avoid any potential problems with more exotic crewmembers.

BK613 April 27 2014 04:17 PM

Ideally, strip it down to the studs, to use a home improvement metaphor, eliminating any of the cold war relics and outdated science/tech ideas but keep the intrepid explorers navigating an extraordinary universe.

JirinPanthosa April 27 2014 04:33 PM

I would place it early 25th century and make it a show with TNG's idealism and sense of exploration but contrasted against the realpolitik of DS9.

I agree there is the risk of technology getting too magical and too plot breaking, but to be blunt, the implications of their technologies have never stopped the writers before from just doing the story they wanted to do. And there's nothing at all stopping them from throwing out everything Voyager and Enterprise established about the 27th through 31st centuries.

Why not have warp technology advance to the point they can reach other galaxies in say, a few months travel, and send a small fleet of ships alone to explore and engage diplomacy in the Andromeda galaxy. Close enough to get home whenever they want, but not so close to get reinforcements in a dangerous situation.

Bry_Sinclair April 27 2014 04:51 PM

There are many different things I'd like to see on the next series. One thing I think would be good to see would be a TOS-era series, but had nothing to do with the Enterprise or her crew--something like a Miranda-Class ship with a far more diverse crew, perhaps even an alien Captain.

Procutus April 27 2014 10:08 PM

Quote:

T'Girl wrote: (Post 9515482)
While not disregarding what happen in ENT, have another go at a pre-TOS series.

This. I've long wanted to see either a series set mid-way between ENT and TOS, in the first few years of the 23rd century, or a show centered around the actual launch of the Enterprise, with Captain April at the helm. If you go by the dates set in the old ST Chronology, this would be 2245, twenty years ahead of TOS, allowing it to look both familiar and different at the same time.

Never happen, I know, but I still think there's a lot of interesting gaps to fill in between the two existing shows.

:bolian:

Morag April 27 2014 10:30 PM

I would be really interested in a series which focused on the Events after Voyager but not Centered around the Voyager Crew.

I'd love to see A federation "Colonization Fleet" Embark on a journey back into the delta quadrant to colonize space there and to set up trade and diplomacy with the Delta Quadrant species such as the Talaxians ( possibly involving Ambassador Neelix :) )
Of course they would of had to discover a worm hole like In DS9 or some way to get out there and back easily.

The plot could develop so that They accidentally peeve off some alien race who the federation accidentally colonized in their space which could lead to a war themed story arc. Also along with perhaps an more un-wanted business expansion of the Ferengi Alliance sparking tensions between world over lucrative opportunities.

Misfit Toy April 30 2014 07:40 PM

Moving to the "Future of Trek" forum...