The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   2-parters where part 2 is better than part 1 ? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=242809)

at Quark's April 18 2014 09:54 AM

2-parters where part 2 is better than part 1 ?

Often, when I read reviews of trek 2-parters, I see remarks like 'if only part 2 could have been of the same quality as part 1 / hold the pace/tension/whatever'. Which, I suppose, is not surprising, as in part 1 there's every room for developing intriguing leads, whereas in part 2, everything should be neatly wrapped up and 'delivered', and hence, if the viewer is to be disappointed that would usually occur in the 2nd part, not the 1st.

Still, I'm wondering, are there trek 2-parters out there where part 2 is widely considered superior to part 1 ?

MacLeod April 18 2014 10:27 AM

Re: 2-parters where part 2 is better than part 1 ?

the DSN two-parters for the most part managed to hold quality in the second part at least better than some of the TNG two-parters.

meshman63 April 18 2014 04:54 PM

I have seen most of the 2 parters and the only one I think I was dis-appointed in was the one with Data and the Borg. They said it was because there was 2 different writers or something?

Sran April 18 2014 10:23 PM

The Wrath of Khan is better than "Space Seed."

I liked "By Inferno's Light" better than "In Purgatory's Shadow."

--Sran

Vasquez Rocks April 18 2014 10:32 PM

Chain of Command part 2 is better than part 1. That might be the only TNG 2 parter where the second half is better.

JirinPanthosa April 18 2014 11:18 PM

Agree that Chain of Command is the only TNG two parter where part two is better. I think TNG writers often had better idea for premises than they did for solutions.

Equinox Part 2 might be better than Part 1.

WhateverMan May 13 2014 03:22 AM

Quote:

Vasquez Rocks wrote: (Post 9488923)
Chain of Command part 2 is better than part 1. That might be the only TNG 2 parter where the second half is better.

Second.

We are of one mind.

Mario de Monti May 13 2014 10:45 AM

What about ENTīs In A Mirror, Darkly? It was just so much fun to revisit TOS in the second part, seeing TOS-style sets and uniforms again - and the Defiant of course. To me that was a two-parter that didnīt disappoint in the second half.

Mario

Green Shirt May 15 2014 06:22 PM

I wonder if the problem is that some of the episodes shouldn't have been two-parters to begin with.

Bad Thoughts May 15 2014 06:32 PM

Past Tense part 2 was better by a mile. All that happened in part 1 was Sisko lecturing and Bashir acting like a tool.

SJSharksfan39 May 15 2014 07:08 PM

I liked Year of Hell II more than Year of Hell I. Overall, it seemed like Voyager's second part of episodes were better than the first part.

LOKAI of CHERON May 15 2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Agreed.

Ro_Laren May 15 2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Yes, COC 2 is better than COC 1. But, it has been so long that with the exception of Best of Both Worlds and Descent, I can't remember other 2 two-part TNG episodes. Whoops!

doctorfoto May 17 2014 05:12 PM

I rather liked Time's Arrow Part II better than Part I, though admittedly the overuse of Clemens bogged it down a little.

MacLeod May 17 2014 05:34 PM

Perhaps why some work better than others is down to when they are written. For the season ending two-parters Part I is written without really knowing how they'll resolve it, they'll figure that out in a few weeks a months time when they come to write it. However for the multi-parters during a season they have to write the other parts at the same time.