The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science and Technology (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   time travel real? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=242470)

varek April 13 2014 03:25 PM

time travel real?

Here is a really strange story I came across.

A person calling himself John Titor—who claimed to have traveled back in time from the year 2036—claimed that he had been sent back to obtain an IBM 5100, because it could translate several types of computer code. Bob Dubke, an engineer with IBM, said that “Titor's statements regarding the IBM 5100's little-known ability to emulate and debug mainframe systems were correct.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titoralib
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM5100
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_programming_language

Makes you wonder, doesn’t it?

sojourner April 13 2014 03:40 PM

Re: time travel real?

John Titor is an infamous internet phenom. We even had a poster here going by that name for a while, though I doubt it was the same person behind it.

BillJ April 13 2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

varek wrote: (Post 9471775)

Nope. Not even a little.

varek April 13 2014 04:24 PM

I was thinking, even if he was a fake, allegedly the IBM expert said the IBM 5100 had those capabilities.

If so, could they be of special value to Star Trek builders/programmers of computers?

sojourner April 13 2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

varek wrote: (Post 9471868)
I was thinking, even if he was a fake, allegedly the IBM expert said the IBM 5100 had those capabilities.

If so, could they be of special value to Star Trek builders/programmers of computers?

Not any more than any other computer is to fictional builders/programmers.

Mr. Laser Beam April 13 2014 04:58 PM

Titor is full of whale shit. And as for his "predictions"? He probably ripped it off Alas, Babylon anyway.

Avon April 13 2014 05:29 PM

everyone travels forwards in time

YellowSubmarine April 13 2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

sojourner wrote: (Post 9471802)
John Titor is an infamous internet phenom. We even had a poster here going by that name for a while, though I doubt it was the same person behind it.

The poster here was the same John Titor, but from another timeline. Though he died in 1634 and had to stop posting. I know this because I am his granddad and great grandmother.

scotthm April 13 2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

varek wrote: (Post 9471775)

Yes it does, but not about time travel.

---------------

publiusr April 13 2014 09:35 PM

Let him do five years worth of flawless brackets and Superbowl scores, then we'll talk.

Dryson April 13 2014 11:04 PM

Personally I don't believe in Time Travel because to do so would mean having to change the state of matter for every particle in the Universe including the entire Universe back to a former state of interaction which based upon gravitational constants would cause the entire Universe to collapse in on itself and then release itself in another completely different form of existence.

If this were to happen then everything would be gone in an instant and no of else would be around.

....but he is the interesting reality of Time Travel that can and does prove that we are all moving in the same moment in time both foreword and reverse.

First you have a clock that has a see through face on it. The clock mechanics on the inside can clearly be seen. On the side of the clock that is facing you the hourly numbers are visible and are placed normally going clockwise. Now we turn the clock around to the other side and we have numbers measuring the time going clockwise as well. You'll notice that if you peer through the glass to the other side of the clock that the numbers are equally opposite of each other but both are traveling counter-clockwise and clock-wise at the same time.

The hour and minute hand are two single pieces that run between the space of both hourly measurements so as to precisely measure time with a single mechanism instead of having an out of tune mechanic.

Now lets turn the clock around to the first side and begin the clock at 12:00. As the hands begin to move clock-wise you will notice that on the other side that the clock is measuring time as flowing backwards. So when the clock reaches 1pm it has also reached 11 am on the opposite measurement proving that time does flow backwards and forwards at the same time while the clock hands find an equilibrium of measurement at its center.

If your able to adjust the clock hands so that 2 pm measured 2 pm on the opposite clock facing then you will have achieved time travel and most likely entered a segment of space called sub-space where species like 8472 live.

Australis April 14 2014 04:31 AM

You wouldn't have to reset the entire universe to travel back in time. It would be a localised event. Much as, if we ever get there, FTL will not be about adjusting the universe but only a ship, so that it moves around/bypasses/cuts through conventinal space.

J. Allen April 14 2014 06:41 AM

Every moment I exist, I travel forward through time.
Everywhere I rest my gaze is a window into the past.

In this way, time travel is real.
In any other way? Probably bullshit.

Hober Mallow April 15 2014 03:03 AM

Quote:

Australis wrote: (Post 9473647)
You wouldn't have to reset the entire universe to travel back in time. It would be a localised event. Much as, if we ever get there, FTL will not be about adjusting the universe but only a ship, so that it moves around/bypasses/cuts through conventinal space.

But that wouldn't actually be FTL travel.

Spider April 17 2014 06:04 PM

What's wrong with time travel? Without it we wouldn't have time travel.