The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Fan Fiction (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Writing Challenge, Spring 2014 - Strange New Worlds (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=240802)

Bry_Sinclair March 21 2014 10:32 AM

Writing Challenge, Spring 2014 - Strange New Worlds
 
A win by default is still a win, lol.

Seriously though, there are many great writers here, itíd be a shame not to push them to try something new and different, so I hope we donít lose this challenge.

Now then: Strange New Worlds.

This is going to be the TrekBBS version of Myriad Universe. Youíre challenge is to throw Trek (and also other sci-fi if you so desire) into a blender and see what you can make out of it, explore what alternative universes are out there and how life has been changed and altered forever. This throws it wide open for you to be as inventive and outlandish as you want, so please, feel free to go crazy!

What if itíd been Captain Jane Kirk of the U.S.S. Enterprise? What if Commander Chakotay had been given command of Deep Space 9? What if the Genesis Project had been a success? What if itíd been Remus that had exploded in TUC? What would Picard be like as a Jedi Master with Wesley as his Padawan? What if the Hansenís hadnít been assimilated? What if Guinan was a Timelord?

Have fun with it and see where things go.

The Rules:
- Word limit: 20,000--a little wiggle room is granted though, just donít push it :)
- Story must be original for this monthís challenge, nothing posted here before please
- The Trek source can be either canon or your own creation
- Only complete stories will be eligible; finishing the story before posting it is a good idea
- Post a link to your entry in this thread when youíre done
- Contest will run until midnight (GMT) May 31st 2014, with voting to run from June 1st to June 6th

Any questions or queries, send me a PM or post it here.

Good luck and have fun.

Mistral March 28 2014 10:03 AM

Re: Writing Challenge, Spring 2014 - Strange New Worlds
 
Um, Guinan IS a timelord. Duh. ;)

Bry_Sinclair March 28 2014 11:43 AM

Re: Writing Challenge, Spring 2014 - Strange New Worlds
 
I know, but what was she like when she had her own TARDIS? Who would be have as her companions in an adventure through time and space? What if she'd never left that life behind? Is she a friend or foe of the Doctor's?

As I said, this is a chance to just have fun with some weird and wonderful combinations.

USS Fardell April 4 2014 12:51 PM

Re: Writing Challenge, Spring 2014 - Strange New Worlds
 
Quote:

Bry_Sinclair wrote: (Post 9411841)
I know, but what was she like when she had her own TARDIS? Who would be have as her companions in an adventure through time and space? What if she'd never left that life behind? Is she a friend or foe of the Doctor's?

As I said, this is a chance to just have fun with some weird and wonderful combinations.

I have started an entry, where Delenn from Babylon 5 is one of Guinan's companions...

Bry_Sinclair April 5 2014 08:04 AM

Re: Writing Challenge, Spring 2014 - Strange New Worlds
 
Quote:

USS Fardell wrote: (Post 9438970)
I have started an entry, where Delenn from Babylon 5 is one of Guinan's companions...

That sounds amazing!!!!

Count Zero May 15 2014 08:20 PM

Re: Writing Challenge, Spring 2014 - Strange New Worlds
 
So, is anyone working on anything?

Phil May 17 2014 03:35 AM

Re: Writing Challenge, Spring 2014 - Strange New Worlds
 
Quote:

Count Zero wrote: (Post 9585700)
So, is anyone working on anything?

Not presently working on anything at the moment, but would welcome suggestions for story ideas to help me get back into practice....I haven't written anything in awhile, and probably wasn't much good at it then, either :-/

Last one I wrote was in 2005, and had the original Kahless-Who-Should-Not-Be-Forgotten as a Gou'ald, and had returned to do battle with his Clone and take back the throne, if that qualifies?

Phil May 17 2014 03:43 AM

Re: Writing Challenge, Spring 2014 - Strange New Worlds
 
Quote:

Bry_Sinclair wrote: (Post 9384976)
What if itíd been Remus that had exploded in TUC?

Well, depending on whose fault that was (or rather, who failed to stop it), that would be ST XI :-/

Bry_Sinclair May 17 2014 08:55 AM

Re: Writing Challenge, Spring 2014 - Strange New Worlds
 
Quote:

Phil wrote: (Post 9591238)
Not presently working on anything at the moment, but would welcome suggestions for story ideas to help me get back into practice....I haven't written anything in awhile, and probably wasn't much good at it then, either :-/

Last one I wrote was in 2005, and had the original Kahless-Who-Should-Not-Be-Forgotten as a Gou'ald, and had returned to do battle with his Clone and take back the throne, if that qualifies?

It must be an original story. It if was posted here previously it cannot be entered.

Quote:

Phil wrote: (Post 9591265)
Well, depending on whose fault that was (or rather, who failed to stop it), that would be ST XI :-/

Those snippets were just random ideas off the top of my head for just what "what if" scenarios, so in my thinking, in TUC, the loss of Praxis was the Klingons own fault, which caused massive environmental damage to Qo'noS which lead to the Empire asking the UFP for help. Replace 'Praxis' with 'Remus' and 'Qo'noS' with 'Romulus' and see what might've happened between the UFP and the other great Empire of Trek.

Phil May 17 2014 08:33 PM

Re: Writing Challenge, Spring 2014 - Strange New Worlds
 
Quote:

Bry_Sinclair wrote: (Post 9591856)
It must be an original story. It if was posted here previously it cannot be entered.

Nope....hasn't been posted here :-)

I have on File in Word though, and not on a Site somewhere....can I post the entire story here or E-Mail it to you (it's only 4 pages)?

Bry_Sinclair May 18 2014 06:43 AM

Re: Writing Challenge, Spring 2014 - Strange New Worlds
 
Quote:

Phil wrote: (Post 9593035)
Quote:

Bry_Sinclair wrote: (Post 9591856)
It must be an original story. It if was posted here previously it cannot be entered.

Nope....hasn't been posted here :-)

I have on File in Word though, and not on a Site somewhere....can I post the entire story here or E-Mail it to you (it's only 4 pages)?

Start a new thread and post it there, be sure to include a link in this thread as well.

Phil May 18 2014 07:04 AM

Re: Writing Challenge, Spring 2014 - Strange New Worlds
 
Quote:

Bry_Sinclair wrote: (Post 9594640)
Start a new thread and post it there, be sure to include a link in this thread as well.

Done :-)

And here's the Link for it

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=245050

Phil May 20 2014 07:35 PM

Re: Writing Challenge, Spring 2014 - Strange New Worlds
 
Just a thought....

In another Group that I was in, they did a Round Robin of sorts, in that all those involved would write a part of a Story, and would do so in the order chosen (either by themselves or the moderator), and thus, when their time came around again, they would continue to each write a part of the Story as before, but carrying off as best they could from what had already been written by the others :-)

Count Zero May 31 2014 12:19 PM

Re: Writing Challenge, Spring 2014 - Strange New Worlds
 
I'm writing something but I'm not sure I'll get it finished in time. I'll try my best!

Bry_Sinclair June 3 2014 06:11 AM

Re: Writing Challenge, Spring 2014 - Strange New Worlds
 
With no other entries, I can now announce that the winner of this seasons writing challenge is Phil.

Congratulations!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.