The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Suggestions for desktop computer? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=240745)

Melakon March 20 2014 06:56 PM

Suggestions for desktop computer?
 
My main machine crapped out in February with a hard drive crash, and I'm now on an older (c. 2006) HP running Windows XP and only 2 gig ram.

I'm going to have to start saving up for a new machine, and will likely wind up buying through Office Max, as they have a store close by and I usually buy computer related supplies there.

I've used HP, Asus, and Acer in the past, but have no idea what's considered a good brand these days.

Based on what the crapped out machine had, I'm going to want at least 4 gig ram and 600 gig on a hard drive. Money is a scarce commodity for me though, so it will probably have to be something around $500.

I primarily use computers for internet and 3d modeling/animation software. I do not want a laptop.

Any recommendations?

BillJ March 20 2014 07:04 PM

Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?
 
Picked this one up for my oldest son (16) a few weeks ago and it works very, very well for a bargain machine.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavil...=1219060353967

Melakon March 20 2014 07:10 PM

Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?
 
Thanks, BillJ, I'll add that to the list of candidates. The machine I'm back on now is an old HP Pavilion.

Timby March 20 2014 07:11 PM

Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?
 
It's almost impossible to find an OEM machine without Windows 8 from a website (and impossible if buying from a brick-and-mortar store), so I would strongly recommend a machine with more than 4GB of RAM. 6GB is the absolute minimum I would go with, and more if at all possible.

Trekker4747 March 20 2014 07:16 PM

Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?
 
If you want one for 3D/animation software you're certainly going to want one with a lot of horsepower. Which you should still be able to get fairly cheap.

4 GIG of RAM strikes me as low for your needs and even for computers in general. I'd probably go to 8. I'd also go for a terrabyte hard-drive. Hard-drives and memory tend to be "fairly" cheap so neither of those should really impact your pricing aims too much.

"Problem" is that.... Well.... Windows 8 kind-of sucks. But it's likely what you'll have to go with so be prepared to go with a new OS/interface.

I'd also probably go with a 4th Generation Intel i7 processor. Again, for your needs you'll want a lot of horsepower.

Such a machine, without a monitor, will probably run close to $800. A little over your desired price-point.

Stephen! March 20 2014 11:18 PM

Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?
 
Quote:

Trekker4747 wrote: (Post 9382216)
4 GIG of RAM strikes me as low for your needs and even for computers in general.

Aren't most people still running 32-bit operating systems though

Melakon March 20 2014 11:25 PM

Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?
 
I'm not looking forward to Windows 8. My dead machine was running Windows 7 which didn't give me much trouble and had 4 gig ram, though it was already 4 years old.

It will be several months before I can afford to get anything though, hopefully I can get something before summer's over.

Stephen! March 20 2014 11:30 PM

Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?
 
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 9383470)
I'm not looking forward to Windows 8. My dead machine was running Windows 7 which didn't give me much trouble and had 4 gig ram, though it was already 4 years old.

Why not just replace the hard disk? Or were you planning to upgrade eventually anyway?

J. Allen March 20 2014 11:33 PM

Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?
 
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 9382123)
My main machine crapped out in February with a hard drive crash, and I'm now on an older (c. 2006) HP running Windows XP and only 2 gig ram.

I'm going to have to start saving up for a new machine, and will likely wind up buying through Office Max, as they have a store close by and I usually buy computer related supplies there.

I've used HP, Asus, and Acer in the past, but have no idea what's considered a good brand these days.

Based on what the crapped out machine had, I'm going to want at least 4 gig ram and 600 gig on a hard drive. Money is a scarce commodity for me though, so it will probably have to be something around $500.

I primarily use computers for internet and 3d modeling/animation software. I do not want a laptop.

Any recommendations?

If your monitor is still good, there's this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883258094

It's an Avatar FX6161OC, which has an nVidia 610 graphics card, 8GB RAM, and a 1TB hard drive. It's a mid-range gaming PC, which should help you because you deal with 3D modeling. It also has Windows 7 pre-installed. It's a good deal for $499.

Melakon March 20 2014 11:48 PM

Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?
 
J., thanks, that's another for the list of candidates.

Stephen!, since I'd have to save up money for either a new drive, seeing if the data on the old drive can be recovered, or buying a new machine, I figure I'll aim for a new machine first.

My eyes are so bad, I'm not good at trying to work inside the case anymore, and if I bought only a new drive, I don't have an operating system to install on it.

Ar-Pharazon March 21 2014 12:11 AM

Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?
 
Quote:

Timby wrote: (Post 9382186)
It's almost impossible to find an OEM machine without Windows 8 from a website (and impossible if buying from a brick-and-mortar store), so I would strongly recommend a machine with more than 4GB of RAM. 6GB is the absolute minimum I would go with, and more if at all possible.

Quote:

Stephen! wrote: (Post 9383458)
Quote:

Trekker4747 wrote: (Post 9382216)
4 GIG of RAM strikes me as low for your needs and even for computers in general.

Aren't most people still running 32-bit operating systems though

Only a 64bit OS is capable of recognizing & utilizing over 4GB of RAM. I've been on 64bit WinXP & Win7 for several years and running 8GB of RAM.

The next machine I build from scratch will probably have 16GB, since the motherboards & BIOS are now capable of recognizing that range (or higher).

Melakon, how comfortable would you be building your own machine? I did that, and while I spent a ton of cash, it was far superior to anything in the same price range that was pre-built.

I was able to pick & choose what brand parts I wanted. You could still do it on a budget, maybe reuse your current case and other components that are still good.

Then you can buy a full license of Win7 and set it up exactly how you want.

Melakon March 21 2014 12:27 AM

Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?
 
Quote:

Ar-Pharazon wrote: (Post 9383635)
Melakon, how comfortable would you be building your own machine? I did that, and while I spent a ton of cash, it was far superior to anything in the same price range that was pre-built.

I was able to pick & choose what brand parts I wanted. You could still do it on a budget, maybe reuse your current case and other components that are still good.

Then you can buy a full license of Win7 and set it up exactly how you want.

I'm too blind these days to do anything like that myself. If I drop one of those little screws in a case, I will not find it. About 15 years ago I had a friend who built machines for me a few times, but he moved away.

So I tend to prefer buying from brick and mortar stores, because I can then examine the product in person instead of looking at a photo. It costs more that way, but I'm paying for the convenience and having a salesperson present to answer questions.

JarodRussell March 21 2014 12:30 AM

Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?
 
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 9383470)
I'm not looking forward to Windows 8. My dead machine was running Windows 7 which didn't give me much trouble and had 4 gig ram, though it was already 4 years old.

It will be several months before I can afford to get anything though, hopefully I can get something before summer's over.

I wish people would just stop demonizing Windows 8. I run 7 on one, and 8 on another computer. The metro interface is quickly gotten rid of, and then it's like a Windows 7 Service Pack.

There's absolutely no fucking reason at all to complain about getting Windows 8 when buying a new computer.

Melakon March 21 2014 12:36 AM

Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?
 
^ Well, if this is directed at me, all I know is what I've read from others about Windows 8, and some articles about it. I've never used it. I wasn't aware I was demonizing it, I just need a goddamn new machine.

JarodRussell March 21 2014 12:40 AM

Re: Suggestions for desktop computer?
 
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 9383785)
^ Well, if this is directed at me, all I know is what I've read from others about Windows 8, and some articles about it. I've never used it. I wasn't aware I was demonizing it, I just need a goddamn new machine.

No, I was speaking in general direction. It really is just like Windows 7 with a few neat features added (while that would be a bad selling argument, it's an argument that it's not the devil). That metro interface is stupid, but you can get rid of it so that it never shows up in 99% of the things you do.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.