The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   50th Anniversary Wish List (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=240319)

toonloon March 15 2014 01:58 PM

50th Anniversary Wish List

I think it's a fair comment to say that the BBC treat Dr Who fans very well during their anniversary which makes me wonder what a billion dollar studio like Paramount will do for us.

I thought it might be fun to make some suggestions or speculations here.

Here's two off my wish list to get the ball rolling:

1) A definitive documentary about the making of Star Trek (TOS) including it's explosion in syndication in the 70's and leading up to the first movie. Lucas had that puff piece "Empire of Dreams" on his SW DVDs, surely we deserve as good, if not better.

2) A new CGI animated adventure written by D.C. Fontana and voiced by the remaining cast with Chris Doohan as Scotty and Karl Urban as McCoy. Something that can bring a close to the original 5 year mission.

Those are my thoughts, what do you guys want to see?

LOKAI of CHERON March 15 2014 02:31 PM

Re: 50th Anniversary Wish List

Sadly, other than the next Bad Robot movie and a few (limp) bits and pieces, I have a feeling the 50th anniversary is going to be a "squandered" opportunity to a certain degree.

You're absolutely right about the BBC, they did a first class job with the Who 50th. In the UK, you could hardly get away from it! I just don't think it's going to happen for Trek.

Botany Bay March 15 2014 02:48 PM

• A book reprinting every behind the scenes memo still in existence about TOS.
  • The Secret of Vulcan Fury
  • A movie about Gene Roddenberry. Good points and bad, what a story this could be :)
  • Cast reunions where possible for commentaries/interviews for each episode and film.
  • STV : TFF with special effects on par with the rest of the films.

Warped9 March 15 2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: (Post 9361630)
Sadly, other than the next Bad Robot movie and a few (limp) bits and pieces, I have a feeling the 50th anniversary is going to be a "squandered" opportunity to a certain degree.

I have a similar suspicion. They might repackage the Blu-Ray sets and throw us a few other double-dipping bones, but I don't expect anything really new.

A decent film about GR (his good and bad) would be nice, including the debunking of long held myths.

King Daniel Into Darkness March 15 2014 03:15 PM

Star Trek 3/XIII on the big screen and maybe something special in the novelverse - the destruction of Romulus and it's fallout, and/or in-universe memoirs of Kirk and Spock.

Warped9 March 15 2014 03:39 PM

Doesn't really have anything to do with the 50th anniversary, but I could appreciate a remastering of the TMP-DE on Blu-Ray.

LOKAI of CHERON March 15 2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 9361726)
Doesn't really have anything to do with the 50th anniversary, but I could appreciate a remastering of the TMP-DE on Blu-Ray.

My dream is a seamless branching version including the Theatrical, SLV and DE la the excellent CE3K Blu.

King Daniel Into Darkness March 15 2014 03:51 PM

Trekkies 3!

Campe98 March 15 2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: (Post 9361735)
Quote:

My dream is a seamless branching version including the Theatrical, SLV and DE la the excellent CE3K Blu.

That I'd love to see. But I bet with the issues of low rez models of the DE and the fact that the SLV only exists in 4:3, this is unlikely. Not impossible. Just unlikely.

Warped9 March 15 2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Campe98 wrote: (Post 9361765)
Quote:

Quote:

That I'd love to see. But I bet with the issues of low rez models of the DE and the fact that the SLV only exists in 4:3, this is unlikely. Not impossible. Just unlikely.

The easiest solution would be to simply have all three versions on the disc and forget about branching.

Harvey March 15 2014 04:11 PM

I just hope for a book that is proper history of the original series.

Mysterion March 15 2014 04:16 PM

- The Secret of Vulcan's Fury by DC Fontana
- The God Thing by Genene Roddenberry (and whomever needs to finish/flesh it out)
- Updated editions of the Star Trek Encyclopedia and Chronology by the Okudas
- A new TOS-era original novel by David Gerrold

HIjol March 15 2014 04:26 PM

Absolutely a comprehensive, full bore Documentary

Absolutely cast interviews, both with the living and with the Katra of the departed

Absolutely theater screenings of the best prints of all the movies, and inclusive of other versions

Updated version of "Inside Star Trek" with all memos and communiques included, as was mentioned above by Botany Bay

8mm, 16mm, BetaMax, VCR, DVD, HoloEncripted, minidisc, Biochip and any other recording medium of any snippet or jewel of recording having to do with ST

Baby pics of Gene (ok, not so much)

LOKAI of CHERON March 15 2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 9361786)
Quote:

Quote:

The easiest solution would be to simply have all three versions on the disc and forget about branching.

The problem there is purely practical, unless they substantially dropped the bitrate on one or more versions, there simply isn't enough room on a standard dual layer Blu-ray. A multiple disc release would be the only solution for separate encodes.

Warped9 March 15 2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: (Post 9361840)
Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 9361786)
Quote:

The problem there is purely practical, unless they substantially dropped the bitrate on one or more versions, there simply isn't enough room on a standard dual layer Blu-ray. A multiple disc release would be the only solution for separate encodes.

Okay, that works. A two or three disc set would be acceptable.