The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Tech (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Reset... Energize... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=240232)

Wingsley March 14 2014 05:30 AM

Reset... Energize...
 
We all remember the line in TOS' "Obsession"

Quote:

[On the surface of Tycho IV, Kirk and Garrovick stand a meter away from the Cloud Creature as it tries to assimilate Kirk's anti-matter bomb]

KIRK
Now! Energize and detonate!

[Kirk and Garrovick dematerialize, just as the bomb explodes]

[In the Enterprise's Transporter Room, Scott operates the Transporter Mechanism as Spock assists and McCoy looks on. Kirk and Garrovick weakly begin to materialize, then fade away. Something is obviously wrong with the materialization process.]

SPOCK
Reset. Energize.
But what does that mean? If Kirk and Garrovick do not materialize, doesn't that mean they were lost? They certainly did not re-integrate at their point of origin, awaiting a second beam-up.

Compare this to TMP, when Sonak was killed. Nobody could hit the reset button then.

Any thoughts on how to reconcile this?

drt March 14 2014 05:53 AM

Re: Reset... Energize...
 
I guess we'll have to assume that the issue was reintegrating them out of the transporter pattern buffer - and that in the case of TMP, uploading them into the buffer didn't happen correctly in the first place.

Melakon March 14 2014 06:58 AM

Re: Reset... Energize...
 
Quote:

drt wrote: (Post 9357388)
I guess we'll have to assume that the issue was reintegrating them out of the transporter pattern buffer - and that in the case of TMP, uploading them into the buffer didn't happen correctly in the first place.

Let's also consider the circumstances of the two different transport attempts. The "Obsession" transport sequence is begun seconds before an anti-matter explosion, and Kirk and Garrovick apparently have made it as far as the pattern buffer when it hits.

In TMP, there's no anti-matter explosion, but the failure is due to defective equipment.

Quote:

[Enterprise engineering]
VOICES (OC): Check. Cleary on number six.
Space matrix restoration coils. Dilithium crystals.
I knew it. The transporter sensor was not activated.
Faulty modules.
SCOTT (OC): Cleary! Put a new backup sensor into the unit.
CLEARY (OC): Aye sir.

...

[Kirk announces he's taking command]
...

CLEARY: Transporter room, come in! Urgent! Redline on the transporters, Mister Scott!
SCOTT: Transporter room, do not engage! Do not...
CLEARY: It's too late. They're beaming now!

[Enterprise transporter room]
RAND: Do you read me Starfleet? Override us. Pull them back!
KIRK: Give it to me. Starfleet, boost your matter gain, we need more signal! ...More signal!
SCOTT: We're losing their pattern.

Along with Kirk telling Starfleet to boost the matter gain while a defective transporter sensor is in the process of being replaced. No telling what that did to the circuits.

HIjol March 14 2014 07:46 AM

Re: Reset... Energize...
 
Quote:

Wingsley wrote: (Post 9357337)
We all remember the line in TOS' "Obsession"

Quote:

[On the surface of Tycho IV, Kirk and Garrovick stand a meter away from the Cloud Creature as it tries to assimilate Kirk's anti-matter bomb]

KIRK
Now! Energize and detonate!

[Kirk and Garrovick dematerialize, just as the bomb explodes]

[In the Enterprise's Transporter Room, Scott operates the Transporter Mechanism as Spock assists and McCoy looks on. Kirk and Garrovick weakly begin to materialize, then fade away. Something is obviously wrong with the materialization process.]

SPOCK
Reset. Energize.
But what does that mean? If Kirk and Garrovick do not materialize, doesn't that mean they were lost? They certainly did not re-integrate at their point of origin, awaiting a second beam-up.

Compare this to TMP, when Sonak was killed. Nobody could hit the reset button then.

Any thoughts on how to reconcile this?

If I remember correctly from TMP, the Enterprise was not getting enough signal on its pads, and when the signal tried to reintegrate at Star Fleet, what managed to reform was not enough...in your case above, I think they were lost...

T'Girl March 14 2014 12:19 PM

Re: Reset... Energize...
 
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 9357499)
Along with Kirk telling Starfleet to boost the matter gain while a defective transporter sensor is in the process of being replaced. No telling what that did to the circuits.

Why was Rand beaming anyone while there was a empty socket where the sensor module usually is?



:)

Timo March 14 2014 03:07 PM

Re: Reset... Energize...
 
The module might well be the third level of redundancy in a process that normally works without a hitch... Or even completely unrelated to the process and what went wrong with it. Perhaps it allows the transporter chief to sense beam-down locations, rather than sense the process, and at this juncture there was no need to sense beam-down locations.

In any case, TOS is rife with situations where people clearly are aboard the ship but not yet fully materialized ("Tholian Web" is a very similar case), paving way for all those later theories that feature a "pattern buffer" or a similar piece of equipment.

Timo Saloniemi

HIjol March 14 2014 03:54 PM

Re: Reset... Energize...
 
^ to Timo...did that version of the transporter have the quadruple redundancy buffers that TNG had?...I cannot find the info...seems to me no, but the brain is not what it used to be... ;)

Timo March 14 2014 09:09 PM

Re: Reset... Energize...
 
The TOS transporter no doubt features some redundancies somewhere, but those aren't evident from the technobabble. Save for the fact that there appear to be multiple transporter rooms aboard the ship, represented by a number of dissimilar sets, yet if one is down for reason X, generally all the transporters of the ship are considered to be down - but that was how it worked in TNG as well. It's just that TNG had an actual Tech Manual, plus dialogue stating the existence of multiple transporter rooms even when there was just one set that very seldom was altered in any way.

I'd suppose that if TNG has quadruple redundancy, the rough and ready TOS has at most a single level of it. :p Then again, some episodes seem to feature a six-person maximum for a single transport sortie, while others do not, perhaps because redundancies in the system are sometimes utilized for safety, sometimes for capacity?

Timo Saloniemi

Mark_Nguyen March 15 2014 12:11 AM

Re: Reset... Energize...
 
CTRL-ALT-DEL..?

Mark

HIjol March 15 2014 05:14 AM

Re: Reset... Energize...
 
Quote:

Mark_Nguyen wrote: (Post 9359947)
CTRL-ALT-DEL..?

Mark

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :bolian:

HIjol March 15 2014 05:15 AM

Re: Reset... Energize...
 
Quote:

Timo wrote: (Post 9359383)
The TOS transporter no doubt features some redundancies somewhere, but those aren't evident from the technobabble. Save for the fact that there appear to be multiple transporter rooms aboard the ship, represented by a number of dissimilar sets, yet if one is down for reason X, generally all the transporters of the ship are considered to be down - but that was how it worked in TNG as well. It's just that TNG had an actual Tech Manual, plus dialogue stating the existence of multiple transporter rooms even when there was just one set that very seldom was altered in any way.

I'd suppose that if TNG has quadruple redundancy, the rough and ready TOS has at most a single level of it. :p Then again, some episodes seem to feature a six-person maximum for a single transport sortie, while others do not, perhaps because redundancies in the system are sometimes utilized for safety, sometimes for capacity?

Timo Saloniemi

Makes sense...thanks! :)

Green Shirt March 16 2014 05:45 AM

Re: Reset... Energize...
 
Quote:

Mark_Nguyen wrote: (Post 9359947)
CTRL-ALT-DEL..?

Mark


That DEL key is a killer. :)

Nebusj March 16 2014 07:10 AM

Re: Reset... Energize...
 
Quote:

Green Shirt wrote: (Post 9364387)
Quote:

Mark_Nguyen wrote: (Post 9359947)
CTRL-ALT-DEL..?

Mark


That DEL key is a killer. :)

``Warning! Interrupting this procedure may result in the loss of critical data! Do you want to continue? Abort / Cancel / No'' what failed user interface designer even writes these things?

BeatleJWOL March 16 2014 02:49 PM

Re: Reset... Energize...
 
I can just hear any of our chief engineers now... "Have you tried turning it off and back on again?"

WarpFactorZ March 17 2014 04:38 AM

Re: Reset... Energize...
 
Quote:

HIjol wrote: (Post 9357568)
If I remember correctly from TMP, the Enterprise was not getting enough signal on its pads, and when the signal tried to reintegrate at Star Fleet, what managed to reform was not enough...in your case above, I think they were lost...

In short: the Enterprise only had one bar and dropped calls.... Time to switch to Sprint-Transportability.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.