The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Voyager (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Voyager Companion (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=240139)

david g March 12 2014 07:38 PM

Voyager Companion
 
Why did VOY get such a poor "Companion" book? There is no critical analysis of any of the episodes. There is scant to no commentary from the creators about their intentions or reactions to finished episodes. The DS9 Companion is excellent, and the TOS and TNG Companions very good as well. The VOY "Companion" seems to have been written by a software program.

Pondwater March 12 2014 09:58 PM

Re: Voyager Companion
 
It has a few minor errors here and there but I liked it well enough. The TNG one seems lacking. Although, the DS9 one is excellent.

david g March 12 2014 10:43 PM

Re: Voyager Companion
 
The TNG one is not as good, as rich, as the DS9 one, but it contains commentary from the creators of the series, to begin with. NONE of that in the VOY Companion.

Galileo7 March 13 2014 11:58 PM

Re: Voyager Companion
 
Quote:

Pondwater wrote: (Post 9352189)
It has a few minor errors here and there but I liked it well enough. The TNG one seems lacking. Although, the DS9 one is excellent.

Agree. :vulcan:

I guess there will never be a Star Trek Enterprise Companion. :shrug:

tomswift2002 March 15 2014 02:01 AM

Re: Voyager Companion
 
Quote:

david g wrote: (Post 9352366)
The TNG one is not as good, as rich, as the DS9 one, but it contains commentary from the creators of the series, to begin with. NONE of that in the VOY Companion.

Don't forget the TNG one also has about 6 "New" editions, and it was written more like the TOS one from the 80's (that also had 3 editions).

Harvey March 15 2014 05:07 AM

Re: Voyager Companion
 
You'll probably find more about the making of the series in the books Star Trek: Action! and A Vision of the Future - Star Trek Voyager than you will with that lousy companion.

teacake March 16 2014 05:51 AM

Re: Voyager Companion
 
I have a bunch of companion books and I have never read them.

I've stopped buying that stuff. If it is really really cool and nifty OR important someone will tell me about it here.

Therin of Andor March 16 2014 06:47 AM

Re: Voyager Companion
 
Quote:

david g wrote: (Post 9351757)
Why did VOY get such a poor "Companion" book? There is no critical analysis of any of the episodes. There is scant to no commentary from the creators about their intentions or reactions to finished episodes. The DS9 Companion is excellent, and the TOS and TNG Companions very good as well. The VOY "Companion" seems to have been written by a software program.

The author of the "DS9 Companion", Terry J Erdmann, is the husband of Paula Block, who vetted all tie-in manuscripts for Viacom/Paramount/CBS over many years. He had access to the writers and cast for the full seven years of production, and kept compiling bits as the years rolled on, possibly long before a book deal was secured. The author of the "VOY Companion", Paul Ruditis, had to play catch-up.

Sadly, the DS9 Companion didn't sell all that well, I understand, so expectations for a VOY Companion, a show with even lower ratings, were not set as high.

david g March 17 2014 03:30 AM

Re: Voyager Companion
 
Thanks for the information, Therin. It's so inexcusable that a cash cow like Trek can't underwrite decent Companions for their series. I'm not a passionate fan of DS9, but I highly admire the Companion for the series.

tomswift2002 March 17 2014 03:54 AM

Re: Voyager Companion
 
Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 9364465)

Sadly, the DS9 Companion didn't sell all that well, I understand, so expectations for a VOY Companion, a show with even lower ratings, were not set as high.

Same goes for the script books. It was interesting seeing the first draft scripts and comparing them to the final versions. Voyager only had its scripts released in the books.

Therin of Andor March 17 2014 07:31 AM

Re: Voyager Companion
 
Quote:

david g wrote: (Post 9367684)
It's so inexcusable that a cash cow like Trek can't underwrite decent Companions for their series.

Each licensed tie-in is supposed to be self-supporting. Paramount/CBS should underwrite Simon & Schuster's publishing efforts?

If I recall correctly, the problem with the "DS9 Companion" was, despite it being a critical success, not enough bricks-'n'-mortar bookshops were game to order in many shelf copies of such a hefty tome, knowing that - at the time - TOS and TNG books waaaaaay outsold DS9 and VOY books. Oversized "trade" books simply take up too much room on the shelves, often don't have a fast turnaround (ie. more likely to sell at Christmas), get easily damaged when customers put them back roughly after browsing, and the overstocks aren't able to be returned (unlike mass market paperbacks).

I'm sure I recall the editors of the day saying that, unfortunately, the first printing was over-estimated, and thus still in-print years after the fact. Stock in warehouses was not being ordered by bookshops, even though second hand copies started commanding higher-than-retail figures. So it never got a second printing; demand simply wasn't there.

exodus March 18 2014 04:21 AM

Re: Voyager Companion
 
I was just starting my job with Simon & Schuster around this time and as I recall, Viacom and S&S were parting ways. I believe the Voy Companion may have been rushed together before that contract expired.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.