The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Fred Pohl's "Gateway" to get a TV show? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=240082)

Lonemagpie March 12 2014 12:37 AM

Fred Pohl's "Gateway" to get a TV show?

http://io9.com/frederik-pohls-dread-...ser-1541426616

Seriously? Cool.

Fist McStrongpunch March 12 2014 12:59 AM

Re: Fred Pohl's "Gateway" to get a TV show?

Never heard of it. The description sounds like not the most interesting thing ever. I'll watch it though, what with the complete lack of spaceshit on tv.

Starbreaker March 12 2014 01:49 AM

Really depressing book. I'd give it a shot, though. I mostly enjoyed it.

Christopher March 12 2014 02:19 AM

Mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, more space-based SF on television would be good. On the other, I've never been a fan of Pohl's writing, and I'm tired of all the dark and gritty shows these days.

Australis March 12 2014 02:39 AM

Gateway was a Hugo & Nebula winner. 'Nuff said.

The subsequent novels, however, did seem to dilute the concept, imo.

I'll watch, but make no guarantees

Sindatur March 12 2014 03:27 AM

Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 9349069)
Mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, more space-based SF on television would be good. On the other, I've never been a fan of Pohl's writing, and I'm tired of all the dark and gritty shows these days.

Yea, "Dark, Dark" makes me apprehensive. I'm fine with something along the Tone of Space: Above and Beyond or Babylon 5 or DS9 but, I'd like a Space Opera that wasn't as heavy as NuBSG, go dark when appropriate, certainly, but, don't roll around it non-stop, never giving the audience a break from the hopelessness.

Melakon March 12 2014 03:43 AM

I liked Gateway well enough when I read it back in the 70s. Though I'd rather see Fred Saberhagen's Berserker stories.

JD March 12 2014 04:04 AM

I've never heard of the book, but the premise described in the article sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

Owain Taggart March 12 2014 05:35 AM

Interesting. I think I'd rather have an adaptation of The Space Merchants though.

Australis March 13 2014 02:37 AM

Space Merchants would be relevant, too.

sojourner March 13 2014 11:01 AM

Never read Gateway. The review makes it sound very much like a Lovercraft inspired work in both content and storytelling method.

Yoda March 13 2014 12:10 PM

I recall liking the book quite a bit when I read it. I didn't realize they still made TV shows where people fly around in spaceships though :lol:

RAMA March 13 2014 08:34 PM

It might be dark but the unknown they send out the heechee ships in might make for some mysterious adventures. Plus I think most scifi fans would consider Pohl one of the top 10 scifi writers of all time..and all we can ask for is better source material on tv.

JD March 14 2014 06:31 AM

Yeah, but we've had plenty of bad shows based on good source material.

HIjol March 14 2014 07:57 AM

Oh, I think the Writers and creative people can be counted on to brighten and jazz up the dark stuff, and gloss over the ships that do not turn back with enough time...I remember liking "Gateway" much better than the subsequent titles...I say! give it a chance and see what happens...

^^^agree with JD above, however, with his point about good source/bad shows...