The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Cumberbatch on the end of STID "they shouldve blown me up" (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=239956)

Khan 2.0 March 10 2014 12:44 PM

Cumberbatch on the end of STID "they shouldve blown me up"

Quote:

He really stole the show in JJ Abrams’ sequel to Star Trek which saw Cumberbatch play Khan, the alien villain out for revenge against Starfleet, after he was coerced by Admiral Marcus into building weapons in exchange for the lives of his cryogenically frozen crew.
At the end of the movie though, fans have been wondering if he will return for the next instalment after his character was put back into suspended animation by Captain Kirk (Chris Pine).
‘That was a stupid thing to do,’ Cumberbatch remarked. ‘They should have just blown me up.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...tual-role.html
dosnt sound too enthusiastic abouut coming back!

DonIago March 10 2014 12:54 PM

Re: Cumberbatch on the end of STID "they shouldve blown me up"

Sounds like he's missing one of the ideals of Star Trek there honestly...Our Heroes don't just blow up everything they run into conflict with.

Ovation March 10 2014 01:33 PM

I read that as implying that Kirk and co. will regret having left Khan alive, not that he wouldn't want to return to the role. After all, we all know what happened when Khan was allowed to live in the original timeline. ;)

Hythlodeus March 10 2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Ovation wrote: (Post 9342286)
I read that as implying that Kirk and co. will regret having left Khan alive, not that he wouldn't want to return to the role. After all, we all know what happened when Khan was allowed to live in the original timeline. ;)

yes, that's what I get from his statement too. It's basically 'They will curse the day the let Khan Noonian Singh live!'

Set Harth March 10 2014 03:41 PM

They should've blown Lindelof up.

And, alien? Really? :rolleyes:

OpenMaw March 10 2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

DonIago wrote: (Post 9342217)
Sounds like he's missing one of the ideals of Star Trek there honestly...Our Heroes don't just blow up everything they run into conflict with.

Unless they're already breaking up inside of a red matter induced black hole. Then you can promptly fire everything you got. :rofl:

King Daniel Into Darkness March 10 2014 04:01 PM

Common movie sequel sense says Cumberbatch is right, putting Khan in the freezer will only lead to trouble down the line...

The Wormhole March 10 2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Of course, this is the first Star Trek movie in which the villain was not killed in the end. Well, first to feature a villain, where the villain wasn't killed that is, since technically Trek IV didn't kill its villain, but then it didn't really have a villain, did it?

Even TMP had Decker as a kind of antagonist, and he is technically killed by the end of that movie.

Khan 2.0 March 10 2014 04:24 PM

funnily enough all the Trek movie bad guy villains were blown up except nuKhan (and the Borg queen, but the Borg cube/sphere did)

Tosk March 10 2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Khan 2.0 wrote: (Post 9342664)
funnily enough all the Trek movie bad guy villains were blown up except nuKhan (and the Borg queen, but the Borg cube/sphere did)

Nuh, Shinzon got impaled. Unless we're counting blowing up his corpse?

And Kruge got dropped into lava. But all the villains other than those four. ;)

DonIago March 10 2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

OpenMaw wrote: (Post 9342538)
Quote:

Unless they're already breaking up inside of a red matter induced black hole. Then you can promptly fire everything you got. :rofl:

I'll assume based on the emoticon that you're being tongue-in-cheek here, especially given that other thread where this was discussed ad infinitum. :p

WarpFactorZ March 10 2014 07:47 PM

Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 9342823)

Well, then he blew up with the Genesis Planet... at least whatever was left of him.

DonIago March 10 2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 9342589)
Quote:

Of course, this is the first Star Trek movie in which the villain was not killed in the end. Well, first to feature a villain, where the villain wasn't killed that is, since technically Trek IV didn't kill its villain, but then it didn't really have a villain, did it?

Even TMP had Decker as a kind of antagonist, and he is technically killed by the end of that movie.

History aside, killing the villain at the end of the film seems more about satisfying the audience and closing the book on the matter than ultimately being true to what Trek's supposed to be.

Insurrection is perhaps the most egregious case where there's little apparent reason Our Heroes couldn't have saved The Villian, but just...didn't.

Khan 2.0 March 10 2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 9342823)
Quote:

Khan 2.0 wrote: (Post 9342664)

Nuh, Shinzon got impaled. Unless we're counting blowing up his corpse?

khan, kruge and shinzon all died seconds before being blown up..the rest the explosion killed them :lol:

foxhot March 10 2014 09:03 PM

Exploding Khan twice would be a vulgar display of repetition.
Despite his ''frozen alive'' status, I suspect we've seen the last of Cumberkhan. Starfleet would have to be extremely reckless to allow his rethawing....plus there are likely only four more films until the next reboot. On my wish list, I'd vote for the Kelvans with Clive Owen and Fairuza Balk as Rojan and Kelinda. But I've no illusions of that possibility actually happening.