The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Deep Space Nine (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Can Sisko "pollute" the timeline? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=239941)

Bad Thoughts March 10 2014 04:41 AM

Can Sisko "pollute" the timeline?
 
At the end of the series, Sisko is "with the prophets." I don't think that means he has biologically become a prophet, but living with them and being entrusted as their "emissary," he must have the ability to intervene in the time in creative ways. Given that the prophets were able to return Akorem to his time without disturbing the course of events or changing knowledge of the past, I should think Sisko could do all sorts of crazy things. Make sure the Bell riots unfold as they should? Prevent Jennifer from dying? Prevent Jadzia from dying, perhaps while retaining Ezri Dax? Any other possibilities?

BeatleJWOL March 10 2014 07:06 AM

Re: Can Sisko "pollute" the timeline?
 
I don't think it was implied that Sisko was any more than a visitor there. Granted, there wasn't much at all implied by that ending...

Finn March 10 2014 10:41 AM

Re: Can Sisko "pollute" the timeline?
 
Not pollute timeline. Sisko would be doing things that were supposed to happen.

Bry_Sinclair March 10 2014 12:06 PM

Re: Can Sisko "pollute" the timeline?
 
He may be the Emissary and living with the Prophets for the time being, but he is still a Starfleet Captain. His training would keep him from polluting the timeline.

He only impersonated Bell because their presence altered the timeline to begin with, after the original was killed he had to set things right for the good of Earth.

dub March 10 2014 01:44 PM

Re: Can Sisko "pollute" the timeline?
 
Quote:

Bad Thoughts wrote: (Post 9341518)
At the end of the series, Sisko is "with the prophets." I don't think that means he has biologically become a prophet, but living with them and being entrusted as their "emissary," he must have the ability to intervene in the time in creative ways. Given that the prophets were able to return Akorem to his time without disturbing the course of events or changing knowledge of the past, I should think Sisko could do all sorts of crazy things. Make sure the Bell riots unfold as they should? Prevent Jennifer from dying? Prevent Jadzia from dying, perhaps while retaining Ezri Dax? Any other possibilities?

Oh, I dunno...
Bring Spock Prime back?
Eliminate the nuTimeline?

I keed, I keed.

Bry_Sinclair March 10 2014 02:49 PM

Re: Can Sisko "pollute" the timeline?
 
Quote:

dub wrote: (Post 9342301)
Eliminate the nuTimeline?

Genius idea I'd say.

Bad Thoughts March 10 2014 03:03 PM

Re: Can Sisko "pollute" the timeline?
 
Quote:

dub wrote: (Post 9342301)
Quote:

Bad Thoughts wrote: (Post 9341518)
At the end of the series, Sisko is "with the prophets." I don't think that means he has biologically become a prophet, but living with them and being entrusted as their "emissary," he must have the ability to intervene in the time in creative ways. Given that the prophets were able to return Akorem to his time without disturbing the course of events or changing knowledge of the past, I should think Sisko could do all sorts of crazy things. Make sure the Bell riots unfold as they should? Prevent Jennifer from dying? Prevent Jadzia from dying, perhaps while retaining Ezri Dax? Any other possibilities?

Oh, I dunno...
Bring Spock Prime back?
Eliminate the nuTimeline?

I keed, I keed.

Three way call between Spock, nuSpock and the Sisko?

Quote:

Bry_Sinclair wrote: (Post 9342145)
He may be the Emissary and living with the Prophets for the time being, but he is still a Starfleet Captain. His training would keep him from polluting the timeline.

He only impersonated Bell because their presence altered the timeline to begin with, after the original was killed he had to set things right for the good of Earth.

Of course, I am trying to have fun with this, but I'm not sure he would be much of a SF officer anymore. His perspective--at least what we saw of it--would make him incompatible with Federation culture. It would make planning difficult if he is unconcerned about time. When do they move against the Dominion? Maybe next year ... maybe YESTERDAY!

Melakon March 10 2014 04:30 PM

Re: Can Sisko "pollute" the timeline?
 
Timeline... what is this?

Though somehow I misinterpreted the thread title as asking about "polluting" the timeline with dozens of Sisko offspring through millennia.

JarodRussell March 10 2014 10:59 PM

Re: Can Sisko "pollute" the timeline?
 
Whatever he does, it will be predestined.

Shaka Zulu March 10 2014 11:05 PM

Re: Can Sisko "pollute" the timeline?
 
Quote:

dub wrote: (Post 9342301)
Quote:

Bad Thoughts wrote: (Post 9341518)
At the end of the series, Sisko is "with the prophets." I don't think that means he has biologically become a prophet, but living with them and being entrusted as their "emissary," he must have the ability to intervene in the time in creative ways. Given that the prophets were able to return Akorem to his time without disturbing the course of events or changing knowledge of the past, I should think Sisko could do all sorts of crazy things. Make sure the Bell riots unfold as they should? Prevent Jennifer from dying? Prevent Jadzia from dying, perhaps while retaining Ezri Dax? Any other possibilities?

Oh, I dunno...
Bring Spock Prime back?
Eliminate the nuTimeline?

I keed, I keed.

Quote:

Bry_Sinclair wrote: (Post 9342421)
Quote:

dub wrote: (Post 9342301)
Eliminate the nuTimeline?

Genius idea I'd say.

Why would Sisko be concerned and care about an alternate timeline that he most likely had/has no emotional stake in?:rolleyes:

Bad Thoughts March 10 2014 11:39 PM

Re: Can Sisko "pollute" the timeline?
 
^In case the mirrorverse baddies hatch a plan to get Abrams super-sized tech?

JirinPanthosa March 11 2014 12:29 AM

Re: Can Sisko "pollute" the timeline?
 
There's a lens flare joke in here somewhere.

I tend to think Sisko only has access to his prophet knowledge while in prophet form. Should he return to human form he would go back to having human knowledge and human perspective. It's pretty much a Daniel Jackson situation.

Could he pollute the timeline? I doubt the prophets would let him, and if he could he would choose not to, because now he has the clarity for why things happened the way they did and why Jennifer needed to die.

BeatleJWOL March 11 2014 09:27 PM

Re: Can Sisko "pollute" the timeline?
 
Quote:

JirinPanthosa wrote: (Post 9344635)
There's a lens flare joke in here somewhere.

It's already damned bright in the Celestial Temple, don't make it worse! :mallory:

dub March 11 2014 09:45 PM

Re: Can Sisko "pollute" the timeline?
 
Quote:

BeatleJWOL wrote: (Post 9347851)
Quote:

JirinPanthosa wrote: (Post 9344635)
There's a lens flare joke in here somewhere.

It's already damned bright in the Celestial Temple, don't make it worse! :mallory:

LOL! I can actually hear Sisko saying that! :lol:

Bry_Sinclair March 12 2014 03:39 PM

Re: Can Sisko "pollute" the timeline?
 
Quote:

JirinPanthosa wrote: (Post 9344635)
There's a lens flare joke in here somewhere.

have to be careful with them though, there are those who think that lens flare jokes have been done to death. Personally, I think that if JJ insists on having them then I insist on making cracks at them :lol:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.