The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies I-X (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Behind the Scenes TWOK footage and interviews (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=238519)

Botany Bay February 21 2014 05:08 AM

Behind the Scenes TWOK footage and interviews

TWOK fans will love this. Features interviews with Bennett, Meyer and De Kelley, and the crew farewelling Nimoy on his last day of shooting.

Enjoy!

HaventGotALife February 22 2014 01:07 AM

Re: Behind the Scenes TWOK footage and interviews

Very enjoyable! How many times have we said "It's Leonard Nimoy's last filming day?"

Botany Bay February 22 2014 01:21 AM

Heh, good point. Quite a few.

This time, Nimoy and Shatner hit the TWOK promo trail, visiting the Merv Griffin show.

SonOfTed March 7 2014 02:04 PM

When you factor in everything that makes a movie great (characters, sound and f/x, storyline, nostalgia, soundtrack, etc.) I think that TWOK is not only one of the greatest science fiction movies ever made, I believe it is also one of the best MOVIES ever made. It had everything, including things that had never been done before on the big screen, and everything WORKED.

Alrik March 7 2014 03:23 PM

Both worth the watch. Very nice to see. :techman:

Grant March 7 2014 06:48 PM

So glad that Merv clip didn't include Dee Kelley's portion---it was painful.

Botany Bay March 9 2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

SonOfTed wrote: (Post 9331927)
When you factor in everything that makes a movie great (characters, sound and f/x, storyline, nostalgia, soundtrack, etc.) I think that TWOK is not only one of the greatest science fiction movies ever made, I believe it is also one of the best MOVIES ever made. It had everything, including things that had never been done before on the big screen, and everything WORKED.

Agreed. My favourite Trek film, and my favourite film of all time.

Quote:

Alrik wrote: (Post 9332092)

Thanks, I've been trying to find more, but no luck so far. Anyone else?

Quote:

Grant wrote: (Post 9332599)

Why's that?

Grant March 9 2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Botany Bay wrote: (Post 9338449)
Quote:

SonOfTed wrote: (Post 9331927)

Agreed. My favourite Trek film, and my favourite film of all time.

Quote:

Alrik wrote: (Post 9332092)

Thanks, I've been trying to find more, but no luck so far. Anyone else?

Quote:

Grant wrote: (Post 9332599)

Why's that?

Because he came across as so damn nervous. I'm one of those people who freak out when they see people freaking out. Kelley was retired for the most part and was never a big enough star anyway to have guested on too many shows anyway at that point in 1982.

Remember that day well though---never was so hyped for Merv before or after--LOL.

I went to youtube and typed in Deforest Kelley/Merv Griffin and found that segment in a few seconds.

From what I remember the entire show was dedicated to TWOK.

Shat Happens March 10 2014 02:31 AM

It's very strange to see Spock smiling.

That is, Nimoy in full costume still looks like Spock even when he is not acting.

Also, Meyer got the name of the film ("Undiscovered Country") wrong.

LeadHead March 10 2014 06:02 AM

Quote:

Shat Happens wrote: (Post 9341005)
Also, Meyer got the name of the film ("Undiscovered Country") wrong.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that a working title for the movie before it became The Revenge of Khan and eventually The Wrath of Khan?

Maurice March 10 2014 06:37 AM

The working title was "The Undiscovered Country", then I think it was "The Vengeance of Khan".

Maab March 10 2014 09:24 AM

[QUOTE=Grant;9338812]
Quote:

Botany Bay wrote: (Post 9338449)
I went to youtube and typed in Deforest Kelley/Merv Griffin and found that segment in a few seconds.

Hmm... I tried to do that, but I didn't find anything of interest. Could you give more information or a direct link?

By the way I already posted the link to the ET special some time ago (here). To my knowledge this is the only behind the scenes footage ever released of Star Trek II, which is somehow surprising. Despite the fact it is the most popular Trek movie, no behind the scenes footage has ever surfaced from Paramount. I can't believe thay didn't shoot any, it surely was a big production at the time. Even The Motion Picture has its own featurette, but not The Wrath of Khan.

So thanks to ET.

Best,
Maab

Grant March 10 2014 05:46 PM

The Dee Kelley Merv link----I can't watch it though.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...merv%20griffin

mb22 March 13 2014 12:01 AM

Quote:

By the way I already posted the link to the ET special some time ago ([COLOR=#dbdbdb]here[/COLOR]). To my knowledge this is the only behind the scenes footage ever released of Star Trek II, which is somehow surprising. Despite the fact it is the most popular Trek movie, no behind the scenes footage has ever surfaced from Paramount. I can't believe thay didn't shoot any, it surely was a big production at the time. Even The Motion Picture has its own featurette, but not The Wrath of Khan.

So thanks to ET.
There was an earlier ET story (not as long) on the film that ran around November '81 (these clips feature a December '81 date on the clapboard). It can be seen on the first four and a half minutes of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiI1t_wIamU

And E.T. of course, was a Paramount TV production, making it the logical place for Trek-related features.

Maab March 13 2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

mb22 wrote: (Post 9352561)
There was an earlier ET story (not as long) on the film that ran around November '81 (these clips feature a December '81 date on the clapboard). It can be seen on the first four and a half minutes of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiI1t_wIamU

Well, this is certainly very interesting, but it doesn't include behind the scenes footage, only interviews. I'd love to see some footage of the Ceti Alpha 5 set, or the Genesis Cave.
Where did you see the clapboard? I didn't notice it.

Best,
Maab