The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   If you could only have one: Transporter or Holodeck (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=238105)

HIjol February 15 2014 12:28 PM

If you could only have one: Transporter or Holodeck

If you could pick, which one and why...

Viva Sativa February 15 2014 12:44 PM

Re: If you could only have one: Transporter or Holodeck

Can a transporter provide me a pair of Orion slave girls covered in crisco?

CTGuyton February 15 2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Viva Sativa wrote: (Post 9249556)
Can a transporter provide me a pair of Orion slave girls covered in crisco?

exactly. end of discussion.

dub February 15 2014 03:03 PM

Wow, that is genuinely a tough call. But I think I'm going with the more practical option...the transporter.

bbjeg February 15 2014 03:59 PM

In my thread If you could have one piece of trek tech, what would it be, where multiple trek techs are offered, the Transporter and the Holodeck are on part with a Warp Drive vessel.

JirinPanthosa February 16 2014 02:30 AM

The transporter.

I live in New England. Three weeks ago I took a trip to San Diego.

If I had a transporter, next week I would move to San Diego. And commute every day to New England.

And I wouldn't have to deal with this F***ING SNOW.

HIjol February 16 2014 02:42 AM

Well-said, Commodore...I hail from Chicago...where is that weather control engineering when you need it?...

USS Triumphant February 16 2014 02:48 AM

Before I answer this, a point of clarification, please: Is the holodeck in question only capable of recreating things that I can feed to it from the contemporary era, or is it connected to a database of the same places and things that would be available to it in the 24th century?

If the latter, then obviously, the holodeck, because I'm next to certain that I can get it to show me how to BUILD a transporter, phasers, warp drive, etc. I'ma have it ALL. :techman:

HIjol February 16 2014 02:49 AM

Your pardon, Admiral...did not see your thread, but how cool would it be to
have any of it...I think I agree with the Commodore and the Captain...a transporter would be pretty useful...though, I am trying to imagine who to call for service! "Scotty's Miracle Small Appliance and Federation Equipment Repair?"...

USS Triumphant February 16 2014 03:10 AM

Quote:

HIjol wrote: (Post 9252370)
I think I agree with the Commodore and the Captain...

No offense, HIjol - especially since I've tried to do a little of it, myself, a long time ago - but we really don't roleplay the ranks here, and I have no idea who in the hell you just agreed with. ;)

HIjol February 16 2014 03:17 AM

Point of clarification well received and brilliant!!!...yes, it would be connected to 24th Century databases, and thank you for the tip!...

Greg Cox February 16 2014 03:22 AM

Easy, Transporter. Vulcan love slaves notwithstanding, a transporter would make travel and commuting so much more speedy and hassle-free. No more traffic, icy roads, or hellish seven-hour flights in coach.

"Beam me to Shore Leave, Scotty."

Pondwater February 16 2014 03:39 AM

Transporter.

That would save on fares and hotel stays.

J. Allen February 16 2014 03:51 AM

Holodeck.

bbjeg February 16 2014 04:28 AM

Quote:

HIjol wrote: (Post 9252370)
Your pardon, Admiral...did not see your thread, but how cool would it be to have any of it...

At ease ensign. ;)

This thread is it's own, I just linked mine for those who were curious. My thread isn't transporters verses holodecks. I think I read my other response and thought I posted it here but I chose the holodeck. I would love to watch Star Trek in first person, invite friends over to play current Xbox, Nintendo, or Playstation games in a 3D environment, or pick up a new skill by learning it first hand from scholars, scientists, artists, or anyone.

And though I'm a sucker for role-playing (I usually game every Friday night with my group), it's not expected here. I even tried to start a few RPG threads. I had a few on board but ultimately, it failed, but I'm all for it.

*Salute*