The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Inner Light, LOL (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=238042)

Shat Happens February 15 2014 12:12 AM

Inner Light, LOL
 
Saw the other thread and musing now.

Back when the "Kirk vs Picard" (and "Data vs Spock", etc) debate theme was all the rage, I frowned at how TNG's best episode was their captain learning to play a little flute.

(and crying)

OTOH, Kirk saved Earth multiple times and kicked a lot of butt.

Not trolling, I really feel it's a no-contest.

ps. Spock's dad can beat up Data's dad.

LOKAI of CHERON February 15 2014 12:28 AM

Re: Inner Light, LOL
 
I fully acknowledge this as a minority opinion, but "The Inner Light", far from being one of TNG's best, is in fact one of its most tedious, boring and overrated outings.

Trekker4747 February 15 2014 01:17 AM

Re: Inner Light, LOL
 
I like the episode and it has some charms to it but, yeah, I also feel it's a *bit* overrated and over-loved.

Ancient Mariner February 15 2014 04:35 AM

Re: Inner Light, LOL
 
It is, quite simply, my favorite episode of Star Trek.

Ever.

:p

Picard's emotional journey ... his unwillingness to accept the restrictions society placed upon him, his ability to find meaning in a life that was not what he would have chosen for himself, they speak to an "inner" strength of character.

The flute is symbolic of reconciliation and union ... learning to accept his "past" and move on to a better future.

Mojochi February 15 2014 04:38 AM

Re: Inner Light, LOL
 
If you like Patrick Stewart & his powerful skill as an actor, then there is no excuse to dislike this episode. He takes this mediocre story & turns it into a one man show of powerhouse proportions

Jeyl February 15 2014 05:01 PM

Re: Inner Light, LOL
 
Quote:

Shat Happens wrote: (Post 9247858)
OTOH, Kirk saved Earth multiple times and kicked a lot of butt.

Hey, if you want a "Kirk vs. Picard" debate to swing in Kirk's favor, all you need to do if bring up Star Trek Generations to see how awesome Kirk is and how utterly incompetent Picard is.

Green Shirt February 15 2014 05:07 PM

Re: Inner Light, LOL
 
Quote:

Jeyl wrote: (Post 9250246)
Quote:

Shat Happens wrote: (Post 9247858)
OTOH, Kirk saved Earth multiple times and kicked a lot of butt.

Hey, if you want a "Kirk vs. Picard" debate to swing in Kirk's favor, all you need to do if bring up Star Trek Generations to see how awesome Kirk is and how utterly incompetent Picard is.

True. Except that Kirk awesomed himself all the way dead. :devil:

JirinPanthosa February 15 2014 07:02 PM

Re: Inner Light, LOL
 
Quote:

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: (Post 9247912)
I fully acknowledge this as a minority opinion, but "The Inner Light", far from being one of TNG's best, is in fact one of its most tedious, boring and overrated outings.

(Looks at avatar)

Right, much more tedious and boring than an episode about people with different colors on different sides of their face totally subtlely persecuting each other. ;)

Back to the OP, the measure for quality of a character isn't strictly about 'Kicking ass'. The Inner Light is an atypical episode for Picard, the episode where a usually proud and stoic man is made vulnerable. Kirk is the man I'd want in charge if a single ship was sent to kill me. Picard is the man I'd want if a superior army declares war on my home planet.

JD5000 February 15 2014 08:15 PM

Re: Inner Light, LOL
 
We all get there some day, might as well try to be awesome on the way!

Quote:

Green Shirt wrote: (Post 9250282)
Quote:

Jeyl wrote: (Post 9250246)
Quote:

Shat Happens wrote: (Post 9247858)
OTOH, Kirk saved Earth multiple times and kicked a lot of butt.

Hey, if you want a "Kirk vs. Picard" debate to swing in Kirk's favor, all you need to do if bring up Star Trek Generations to see how awesome Kirk is and how utterly incompetent Picard is.

True. Except that Kirk awesomed himself all the way dead. :devil:

I'm in the middle on this episode, if I'm in the mood to watch something character-oriented, I dig it. If I want something action-oriented, I don't watch it. Good thing there are what, 500 something episodes to choose from? They are all fun in their own way!

bbjeg February 15 2014 08:40 PM

Re: Inner Light, LOL
 
I thought Inner Light was pretty good too. It astonished me as a kid and still remains in my top ten list. Darmok is my number one though.

LOKAI of CHERON February 15 2014 09:00 PM

Re: Inner Light, LOL
 
Quote:

JirinPanthosa wrote: (Post 9250552)
Quote:

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: (Post 9247912)
I fully acknowledge this as a minority opinion, but "The Inner Light", far from being one of TNG's best, is in fact one of its most tedious, boring and overrated outings.

(Looks at avatar)

Right, much more tedious and boring than an episode about people with different colors on different sides of their face totally subtlely persecuting each other. ;)

Why, yes, yes it is.

Shat Happens February 15 2014 09:49 PM

Re: Inner Light, LOL
 
Quote:

Jeyl wrote: (Post 9250246)
Hey, if you want a "Kirk vs. Picard" debate to swing in Kirk's favor

I do not *want* that, but that's where it always seems to come to.

I mean, a show about giant ships zooming through space with bombastic orchestral music, aliens, special effects, hot babes and all that jazz -- and they make an episode about a LITTLE FLUTE? come on!

Shat Happens February 15 2014 09:53 PM

Re: Inner Light, LOL
 
Quote:

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: (Post 9250975)
Quote:

JirinPanthosa wrote: (Post 9250552)
Quote:

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: (Post 9247912)
I fully acknowledge this as a minority opinion, but "The Inner Light", far from being one of TNG's best, is in fact one of its most tedious, boring and overrated outings.

(Looks at avatar)

Right, much more tedious and boring than an episode about people with different colors on different sides of their face totally subtlely persecuting each other. ;)

Why, yes, yes it is.

yes, it is boring, if you consider boring a scene where the captain shows such balls as to threaten to blow the ship with all aboard just so the bad guy doesn get it his way.

To this day I believe he would have done it if the white/black guy (or it was the black/white one?) hadtn't give up.

Armored Saint February 15 2014 10:17 PM

Re: Inner Light, LOL
 
Quote:

Shat Happens wrote: (Post 9251173)
Quote:

Jeyl wrote: (Post 9250246)
Hey, if you want a "Kirk vs. Picard" debate to swing in Kirk's favor

I do not *want* that, but that's where it always seems to come to.

I mean, a show about giant ships zooming through space with bombastic orchestral music, aliens, special effects, hot babes and all that jazz -- and they make an episode about a LITTLE FLUTE? come on!

The City on the Edge of Forever is about a soup kitchen. It's not my favourite TOS episode, but it's oftenly considered as the better.

My problem with The Inner Light is that's too much. After 42 years of another life with a whole family, it's near cruelty.

If you want something with spaceships, aliens and confrontations, you have The Best of Both Worlds and Chain of Command...ok not necessarily the best examples for this debate considering Picard is abducted and tortured in both.

Herkimer Jitty February 15 2014 10:26 PM

Re: Inner Light, LOL
 
Quote:

Shat Happens wrote: (Post 9247858)
Saw the other thread and musing now.

Back when the "Kirk vs Picard" (and "Data vs Spock", etc) debate theme was all the rage, I frowned at how TNG's best episode was their captain learning to play a little flute.

(and crying)

OTOH, Kirk saved Earth multiple times and kicked a lot of butt.

Not trolling, I really feel it's a no-contest.

ps. Spock's dad can beat up Data's dad.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps22712898.gif


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.