The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The X Factor canceled by FOX (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=237493)

Dream February 8 2014 03:15 AM

The X Factor canceled by FOX
 
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...o-uk-show.html

I'm surprised it took so long. I imagine the show was losing lots of money for FOX. This is a huge victory for those who wanted more scripted shows.

Skywalker February 8 2014 03:38 AM

Re: The X Factor canceled by FOX
 
Good, now they can do a show based on the comic X-Factor. :p

bigdaddy February 8 2014 03:58 AM

Re: The X Factor canceled by FOX
 
Who says we will get more scripted shows?

I'm a little surprised by this because Fox didn't get Thursday Football, I figured they would use it for filler for one more year before ditching it.

CorporalClegg February 8 2014 07:16 AM

Re: The X Factor canceled by FOX
 
I think all it proves is Simon needs Idol a lot more than Idol needs Simon, something most people figured out a long time ago.

Aldo February 8 2014 08:37 PM

Re: The X Factor canceled by FOX
 
I wonder if that means we'll see Simon return to American Idol? I don't watch the show, so it wouldn't mean much to me either way, but it would seem likely he'd go back to it.

Nerys Myk February 8 2014 09:07 PM

Re: The X Factor canceled by FOX
 
Quote:

Aldo wrote: (Post 9224035)
I wonder if that means we'll see Simon return to American Idol? I don't watch the show, so it wouldn't mean much to me either way, but it would seem likely he'd go back to it.

The article says he going back to Britain and X-Factor UK.

Shaka Zulu February 8 2014 10:07 PM

Re: The X Factor canceled by FOX
 
Any way you slice it, this stupid exploitative crap show's off of the air; it's on my personal shit list for the Ceri Rees incident, in which a senior citizen was made to look like a fool while auditioning:

Quote:

From the moment Ceri Rees stepped out onto The X Factor stage she was no more than cannon fodder.

Lost, confused and beguiled into believing she was a woman of rare vocal talent, the 54-year-old can have had no idea that she was about to be held up as an object of public ridicule.

The result? For seven excruciating minutes on Sunday night — a sixth of the programme’s entire running time — Mrs Rees was humiliated in front of 11 million viewers.

The fact that her disastrous appearance was saved for the climax of the show — conventionally the slot occupied by an episode’s stand-out performance — said it all: as far as X Factor top brass were concerned, this was TV gold.
Quote:

How they must be regretting that decision now. Far from being a success for the show’s reputation, Mrs Rees’s appearance has prompted widespread revulsion at how a vulnerable and misguided soul like her could have been so cruelly exploited.

Yesterday, as a devastated Mrs Rees left her one-bedroom council flat in Bridgend and went into hiding, a distinctly unedifying story began to emerge.

For this is the fourth time she has appeared on screen in auditions for X Factor, having been rejected by judges in 2005, 2006 and 2008. (Not that her obvious inability to sing prevented her painful performances from being broadcast on each occasion.)

On Sunday night’s show, she had a gleaming set of dentures and a glossy new hairstyle, but there was no disguising her frailty — exacerbated by the loss of her husband, Clive, to a sudden brain hemorrhage four years ago.

Worse still, a close friend said far from reapplying for X Factor, Mrs Rees was ‘hounded’ by producers urging her to return to the show.
The Humiliation of Ceri Rees By The Cowardly And Exploitative X-Factor TV Show



Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Cosmos can't come soon enough; I hope that it takes over the time slot of this shitty show.

bigdaddy February 8 2014 10:10 PM

Re: The X Factor canceled by FOX
 
Cosmos is going to be on Sunday nights in the USA, starting in March, when The X Factor USA would have been on next fall on Wednesday and Thursday.

Nerys Myk February 8 2014 10:26 PM

Re: The X Factor canceled by FOX
 
Quote:

Shaka Zulu wrote: (Post 9224329)
Any way you slice it, this stupid exploitative crap show's off of the air; it's on my personal shit list for the Ceri Rees incident, in which a senior citizen was made to look like a fool while auditioning:

Quote:

From the moment Ceri Rees stepped out onto The X Factor stage she was no more than cannon fodder.

Lost, confused and beguiled into believing she was a woman of rare vocal talent, the 54-year-old can have had no idea that she was about to be held up as an object of public ridicule.

The result? For seven excruciating minutes on Sunday night — a sixth of the programme’s entire running time — Mrs Rees was humiliated in front of 11 million viewers.

The fact that her disastrous appearance was saved for the climax of the show — conventionally the slot occupied by an episode’s stand-out performance — said it all: as far as X Factor top brass were concerned, this was TV gold.
Quote:

How they must be regretting that decision now. Far from being a success for the show’s reputation, Mrs Rees’s appearance has prompted widespread revulsion at how a vulnerable and misguided soul like her could have been so cruelly exploited.

Yesterday, as a devastated Mrs Rees left her one-bedroom council flat in Bridgend and went into hiding, a distinctly unedifying story began to emerge.

For this is the fourth time she has appeared on screen in auditions for X Factor, having been rejected by judges in 2005, 2006 and 2008. (Not that her obvious inability to sing prevented her painful performances from being broadcast on each occasion.)

On Sunday night’s show, she had a gleaming set of dentures and a glossy new hairstyle, but there was no disguising her frailty — exacerbated by the loss of her husband, Clive, to a sudden brain hemorrhage four years ago.

Worse still, a close friend said far from reapplying for X Factor, Mrs Rees was ‘hounded’ by producers urging her to return to the show.
The Humiliation of Ceri Rees By The Cowardly And Exploitative X-Factor TV Show



Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Cosmos can't come soon enough; I hope that it takes over the time slot of this shitty show.

54 is a senior citizen? I turned 55 last month!:eek: Also that was on the UK version, not the US one,which is the one that was canceled. Though I think the focus these shows have on the bad performers ridiculous and a waste of time.

Shaka Zulu February 8 2014 10:54 PM

Re: The X Factor canceled by FOX
 
Quote:

bigdaddy wrote: (Post 9224344)
Cosmos is going to be on Sunday nights in the USA, starting in March, when The X Factor USA would have been on next fall on Wednesday and Thursday.

Hey, I said that I hope it takes over the time slot, not that it would or will do so.

Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 9224392)
54 is a senior citizen? I turned 55 last month!:eek: Also that was on the UK version, not the US one,which is the one that was canceled. Though I think the focus these shows have on the bad performers ridiculous and a waste of time.

Well, close enough-hell, I feel like a senior citizen, and I'm in my mid-40's.

And the reason I placed it is to show how crappy it is, and how it fosters these kind of incidents. That's why I'm glad it's being canceled even though the incident never happened here.

Peach Wookiee February 9 2014 02:12 AM

Re: The X Factor canceled by FOX
 
American Idol and William Hung..

Shaka Zulu February 9 2014 04:46 PM

Re: The X Factor canceled by FOX
 
^Well, that too, but this incident was worse than that by the greatest of magnitudes; Hung at least knew what he was getting into, Mrs. Rees really didn't, and has been completely exploited by the producers of the UK version of this show.

Caretaker February 10 2014 04:54 AM

Re: The X Factor canceled by FOX
 
Quote:

Skywalker wrote: (Post 9222004)
Good, now they can do a show based on the comic X-Factor. :p

I was going to say the same thing (well, movie, but still the same point).


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.