The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Episode of the Week : Mudd's Women (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=236656)

Botany Bay January 28 2014 09:23 PM

Episode of the Week : Mudd's Women

Each week we're having a look at a TOS episode, going through the series in production order. Please rate the episode out of ten, and have your say below. I'll record the scores each week and save them so we can rank TOS in order of popularity.

This week : Mudd's Women

mach7 January 28 2014 10:38 PM

Re: Episode of the Week : Mudd's Women

I give it a solid 7.

Lithium crystals and goofy "magic" drug not withstanding.

A solid Kirk and Spock outing, A great teaser, and Roger C. Carmel's Mudd really raise this episode.

The McCoy character is Still forming, but coming along nicely.

A nice music score and competent direction work well.

Not my favorite, but eminently watchable.

Harvey January 28 2014 11:17 PM

For me it's a "4." Not one of Star Trek's finer outings. There's more than a little sexism to be found here, and the magic drug belongs in a children's tale, not a series that was allegedly targeting an adult audience.

On the technical side, the episode suffers from editorial sloppiness. For example, the editors were forced to use a shot of McCoy in sickbay as a close-up for the first transporter room scene. Not only do the backgrounds not match, but McCoy is in two different costumes. This apparently happened because the director, Harvey Hart, decided to "cut in camera." That's fine if your Alfred Hitchcock, but it causes problems when you're a director-for-hire on episodic television.

On the other hand, Hart's sense of composition is quite good, but since it came at the price of going a day over schedule, it's not hard to see why he wasn't asked back.

CorporalCaptain January 28 2014 11:32 PM

This has its moments ;), but it's an indication of where "average" is. In fact, it even dips down below average, for example with the conceit that Eve could actually physically change her appearance. Either that or it's just a shamelessly over-the-top exaggeration for effect.

I do, however, like that Eve is actually helpful and constructive in her suggestions about (and I can't believe I'm actually about to praise the episode for this) doing the dishes. (Full disclosure: I'm the one who does the dishes at home by hand, most of the time.) Plus, I like the sniping that results when she begins to stop looking beautiful. It's not Leave It To Beaver.

With the message that women are more than just lovers or sex objects, the episode's heart is at least more or less in the right place, in the end, but gah! what we have to go through to get there.

Some of the edits with McCoy in a different costume and the women suddenly shifting in position aren't things that I find that easy to forgive.

I like hard-nosed early Kirk, not that I dislike the friendlier later Kirk, but it's still nice to have a contrast in his portrayal.

Five.

BillJ January 29 2014 12:05 AM

I'd give it a "5". Moderately entertaining but nothing special.

ToddPence January 29 2014 12:15 AM

Quote:

CorporalCaptain wrote: (Post 9179698)
for example with the conceit that Eve could actually physically change her appearance.

Including giving herself an eyeliner job by sheer force of will.

Pauln6 January 29 2014 12:37 AM

Men marrying women just for their looks. Women marrying men just because they're rich. Coloured gelatin and a lot of soft-glow lighting make a woman what she is.

And No Janice (I view that as a bad thing).

I do quite like Eve though. I'll give it a 5.

TOSalltheway January 29 2014 01:35 AM

As far as "lithium" goes did any Starfleet officers call it lithium or just Mudd ? If just Mudd a simple explanation is that like many people today he gets technological details wrong.

Harvey January 29 2014 01:52 AM

"Lithium" is all over the episode, I'm afraid.

Quote:

SULU: That was one of our lithium crystal circuits, sir.

SULU: Another lithium circuit. Now supplementing with battery power, sir.

SCOTT: I don't know, sir. With those three lithium crystals gone.

SCOTT: One lithium crystal left, and that with a hairline split at the base.

SPOCK: The entire ship's power is feeding through one lithium crystal.

SPOCK: There's a lithium mining operation on Rigel 12. High-grade ore, I've heard.

KIRK: Notify them that we'll need the lithium crystals immediately upon arrival.

KIRK: Captain's log-- Stardate 1330.1. Position, fourteen hours out of Rigel 12. We're on auxiliary impulse engines. Fuel low, barely sufficient to achieve orbit over the planet. Lithium replacements are now imperative. The effect of Mudd's women on my crew continues to grow, still totally unexplained. Harry Mudd is confined to his quarters under guard.

Lance January 29 2014 02:08 AM

It isn't a favorite, and probaby Trek's first mis-step IMO.

If I am feeling charitable, I might chalk it up to GR wanting to give the studio what they wanted: a western in space. Whereas Star Trek did usually tend to err more towards Horatio Hornblower for inspiration, "Mudd's Women" is a story that could have easily been told on any conventional western with very little re-writing required.

Also:

Quote:

Pauln6 wrote:
Men marrying women just for their looks. Women marrying men just because they're rich. Coloured gelatin and a lot of soft-glow lighting make a woman what she is.

Absolutely. This episode's "message" isn't exactly very wholesome. :shifty:

feek61 January 29 2014 02:13 AM

For me a bad episode. Some interesting early series things in it but I only give this one a 2. One of the worst first season episodes (for me).

Maurice January 29 2014 04:55 AM

it's obvious the production people knew what the message was, since even Bill Theiss's costume sketches were labeled "space hooker".

Thank goodness this wasn't the second pilot or we all wouldn't be here talking about the show today.

Harvey January 29 2014 05:39 AM

Without "Where No Man Has Gone Before," I doubt NBC would have even pulled the trigger on shooting the second pilot.

(To provide a bit of background, NBC paid for the development of three scripts for the second pilot, which were, "The Omega Glory," "Mudd's Women," and "Where No Man Has Gone Before.")

CrazyMatt January 29 2014 06:32 AM

A little too whimsical for me.... I give it a six.

Enterprise is Great January 29 2014 08:54 AM

5. Slow and boring. It's almost like someone had a rejected script for a Western around and changed a few things to make it into a sci-fi script.