The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   The Skant in TrekLit (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=236503)

Gotham Central January 26 2014 10:55 PM

The Skant in TrekLit

I'm curious if any of the 24th century books make mention of crew members wearing this variation on the Starfleet uniform? I'm particularly curious if any of the male characters are ever described as wearing one?

Is the thought process behind the unisex nature of this uniform ever discussed?

I consider the skant one of the few times that Star Trek tried to be genuinely egalitarian and seemed to run afoul of 20th century mores that could not seem to deal with that level of equality.

Christopher January 27 2014 12:26 AM

Re: The Skant in TrekLit

Quote:

Gotham Central wrote: (Post 9171433)

I'd like to think that by that time, it wouldn't need to be.

Stevil2001 January 27 2014 12:55 AM

Michael and I once started an outline for a tNG novel set shortly after "The Neutral Zone." We called it The End of Skants. We didn't get very far, but a few of its plot elements (not the riveting uniform transition, nor the jaw-dropping explanation of how O'Brien became transporter chief) made their way into A Choice of Catastrophes.

Mr. Laser Beam January 27 2014 02:18 AM

Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 9171832)
Quote:

Because it would have been generally agreed to be a ghastly mistake, and thus not worth talking about. :lol:

Gotham Central January 27 2014 02:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The Uniforms in the 23rd century were clearly not unisex.

Christopher January 27 2014 02:50 AM

It doesn't have to be one or the other. The point is that hopefully by then they don't feel it necessary to defend or justify a different choice.

King Daniel Into Darkness January 27 2014 11:55 AM

Skants? Pfft. I want these uniforms to return!
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...ickley_uni.jpg

CorporalCaptain January 27 2014 12:38 PM

So, I take it that there's scant mention of them in TrekLit?

Hartzilla2007 January 27 2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Gotham Central wrote: (Post 9172432)
Quote:

Quote:

Actually the ones in the two pilots, the TMP, and the TWOK-TUC ones were.

Gotham Central January 27 2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Hartzilla2007 wrote: (Post 9173737)
Quote:

Quote:

No the pilot uniforms were not actually unisex. The uniforms had a much larger collar. However, they were actually closer to unisex than what we got in the series.

The monster maroons were fairly unisex except that they had a skirt option for women (not introduced until ST:V).

It is interesting that given all of the diversity that we see in Trek Lit across the eras, no one has ever bothered to address the fact that mid 24th Century officers actually had the option of a Skant.

Christopher January 27 2014 03:32 PM

I've just remembered that I did mention the skant in The Buried Age; Deanna was described as wearing one when she first met Picard. I didn't mention any male personnel wearing it, but I described it as a "junior officer's skant" rather than a female uniform specifically, so I at least implied that it was unisex.

Jedi_Master January 27 2014 03:37 PM

Simple reason?

Because the skant looked silly. Even in the 21st century, both males and females can wear pants, slacks, jeans, or any other type of lower body garment with two separate legs.

Pants are the unisex garments of the present and future.

King Daniel Into Darkness January 27 2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Gotham Central wrote: (Post 9173803)
Quote:

Hartzilla2007 wrote: (Post 9173737)
Quote:

No the pilot uniforms were not actually unisex. The uniforms had a much larger collar. However, they were actually closer to unisex than what we got in the series.

The monster maroons were fairly unisex except that they had a skirt option for women (not introduced until ST:V).

It is interesting that given all of the diversity that we see in Trek Lit across the eras, no one has ever bothered to address the fact that mid 24th Century officers actually had the option of a Skant.

"Picard gazed into his wardrobe. Today was the day he'd been preparing for. All those nights jogging around the darkened corridors of the Enterprise. The waxing and tanning treatments in sickbay. Today was the day he was going to wear the skant."
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...card_skant.jpg

RandyS January 27 2014 03:49 PM

A better question is: in a medium where we are unable to see them, why mention them at all?

Christopher January 27 2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Jedi_Master wrote: (Post 9173881)
Simple reason?

Because the skant looked silly. Even in the 21st century, both males and females can wear pants, slacks, jeans, or any other type of lower body garment with two separate legs.

Pants are the unisex garments of the present and future.

The only reason you think pants are less silly-looking is because you're more used to them. That's the kind of ethnocentric bias that the Federation is supposed to have grown beyond. There have been many human cultures in which men and women both wore draped or skirtlike garments -- kilts, saris, togas, kimonos, etc. -- rather than pants/trousers. Trousers were invented by horse-nomad cultures as a more practical type of wear for riding horses. Presumably they caught on among nobles in the West because horseback riding was common among that class as well. But for people who don't habitually ride horses, there's no particular reason to prefer them beyond fashion, and that's arbitrary.

Besides, as I've said many times before, it's illogical to expect the fashions of another century not to look silly and bizarre by our standards. We're chronologically closer to the era of powdered wigs and bustles than we are to the era of TNG, and yet TNG-era fashions seem hardly any different from our own. I've always found that a failure of imagination.